Fire Alarms While Sleeping?

Hockey94

Reaction score
My sister and dad are worried if I went and lived in a apartment of my own, how would I be able to hear the fire alarms at night? They've suggested to try leave my C.I's on but I've been sleeping without hearing aides/C.I's my whole life... and the sound of my own breathing annoys me.

Is there anyway to be alerted of a fire alarm without sound? Not sure if there are flashing light ones... but do these help? I was considering looking into a hearing dog but wanted to know of other options.

Thanks!

Yes there are flashing lights one. If they have a strobe light- they'll wake you up unless you are a very very deep sound sleeper (I have a friend like that). Harris Communications is one place I can think of off the top of my head that sells them.

I do not know if an alert system that will flash a lamp or something can work with a smoke alarm or not- the beepbeeepbeep picked up by a transmitter then to receiver.

If you do get a visual smoke alarm and needs to be installed- the apartment has to by law (ADA) as it's a reasonable accommodation for you.

If you're a real heavy sleeper a hearing dog would be the best way to go . I had one and I set my alarm clock and pretended to be asleep. My dog touch me with nose this how he was trained , and I didn't move so he touch me harder with his paw and I still didn't move. Finally he jumped on my bed and give me a real hard push and I almost dies laughing ! I had a Standard Poodle for hearing dog and he took his job very serious . Hearing dogs are trained to keep on waking a person up if there a fire .

Yes, there are flashing strobe fire alarms. I have 2 installed in my house. They are from BRK. You can find that online.

If you're a real heavy sleeper a hearing dog would be the best way to go . I had one and I set my alarm clock and pretended to be asleep. My dog touch me with nose this how he was trained , and I didn't move so he touch me harder with his paw and I still didn't move. Finally he jumped on my bed and give me a real hard push and I almost dies laughing ! I had a Standard Poodle for hearing dog and he took his job very serious . Hearing dogs are trained to keep on waking a person up if there a fire .

This only works if you are willing to have a dog around. Some people, including me, want nothing to do with a dog!

made sure is has a battery backup , if the power does it will still work , you don't have to worry about this with a hearing dog ! :)

Until the hearing dog gets sick or dies.

There's pros and cons for each. While I like dogs, I think it's only fair that I would go for a fire alarm detector considering how much I move- why would I put a dog through that? Plus I won't force a dog onto my relatives if they don't want one in the house (if I happen to be living with them).

To the OP as you can see- there are a few choices. Be aware though that if you go for a hearing dog you may have to take time out to train with the dog or training him yourself- time you may not have. Good news is that apartments cannot deny you the hearing dog due to ADA.

Many companies make smoke and fire alarms for deaf or HOH and these come with Strobe lights, bed shakers or both a simple Google search will bring up more alarms than you probably care to look at.

Many apartment complexes will install a fire alarm with lights for you for Free....some will even install a door bell light for free....I have 2, in my BR and LR...and maintenance checks the batteries every few months and tests it. Call your Independent Living Resource and they would be able to guide you and perhaps save you some $$...and some people also call the Fire Department for information regarding this.

Also, check with your fire department when you move. In my county they give one free to every household who needs one. http://www.harriscomm.com/safeawake-fire-alarm-aid-with-bed-shaker.html was the one that they stock. I'm also registered in their system as deaf, so that extra bit of information can help if my home goes up in flames one day.
WOW ! I called the fire department in my city and they had nothing for deaf or hoh people . The city once send a booklet on fire safety and having smoke alarms in the house , there was something smoke alarm for deaf and hoh people on the very last page , I didn't even see it right away !

Back