Fingerspelling: Clarity and Speed

AquaBlue

Reaction score
I am new to sign language and so far I learning at a good clip. My fingerspelling on the other hand is horrible. I am very slow and not very clean/smooth.

Are there any proven exercises that work?
Any tips on improving my overall fingerspelling?

Just curious.

:cool:

I teach ASL to students, and I know I am bad for doing this, but I discourage my students from fingerspelling everything. There is nothing more tiresome than reading everything fingerspelled out. What I would prefer for my students to do (and for hearing ppl in general) is to be creative and use some body language to show ideas, and to my advanced students, to think of signs for group of similar words. The only rule for fingerspelling words should be for names and city names, or in some situations, specific names for conditions like medical or scientific stuff. Other than that, better use body language or descriptive signing.

I grew up in public school. I was taught with PSE (Straight English). Later I met few deaf in my late teen, I learned ASL.. It's hard for me to adjust PSE and ASL.. I am more fingerspeller than signs. hehe
Ahh, i remembered i have alot of comments or remarks about my signs by deafies. but they dont understand why i was taught by.. but now days, they dont crictize but depends which crowd you hang out.
Oh well.. just learn as much you can!

I personally couldn't learn fingerspelling from a book. If your school offers sign as a major, they will offer a fingerspelling class, too. Something else, when you're in the car alone, turn on the radio and fingerspell random words from the song or commercial. When you're in class, fingerspell key words, names, dates. the more you do it, the easier it will be. Last year when I was in fingerspelling class, I would constantly practice, to the point where I would ice my hands. I tend to do things a bit over the top, which I don't reccommend, but you can try those tricks and see how it works for you.

Originally posted by kuifje75
I teach ASL to students, and I know I am bad for doing this, but I discourage my students from fingerspelling everything.

The fellow from whom I'm taking lessons takes the same position--he wants us to think ASL, not English. (It's going to be hard to do with minimal vocabulary, but I agree with the reasoning.)

I practice all the time to myself. I work too much and don't get to see deafies as often as I should. Practice to yourself when you can.

Fingerspelling

I am good at fingerspelling, but I don't sign very well. When I talk to a Deaf person, I either spell, speak, write, or have the interpreter sign for me.

SilenceGold said:
Pratice to the mirror.

Practice with partner too.

Because for people learning, it's harder to understand it 'comin atcha' than to sign yourself. Books not so helpful - like it's hard to see exactly.

Good luck! :applause:

Back