Finding an audiologist

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm a bit lazy, I might be able to google this. But I like having all of you guy's experience to draw off and you guys tend to have better advice.

So I just moved to Texas, I'm not about to go to an audiologist any time real soon, it's just something I was thinking about. I will want to find an audiologist with a lot if experience working with people with profound loss, not just mild/moderate age related loss. Is there a way to find that out? How much experience they have working with profound loss that is.

Forgive me, for being an airhead chick. :lol: I ve been attending to ANY audiologist. My goal is to make sure they understand me well, and do pay attention to me. Audiologist do deal with any level of hearing, no matter what if they have experiences or not. My interest is that they do pay attention to me, and meet my needs when I ask for it.

You can call them and see how long have they been working there and you will notice how their attitudes approach to you. If you feel comfortable talking to them and understanding them better. THen the audiolgoist is the right one for you.

I dislike audiologist where my hub has been attending, becasue of her attitude is totally audist. :lol: yes She is a good one for my hub but not me. Can you image that she actually said that to me, " wow your hub is deafer than you and he can speak, and you dont./" WTF! :lol:

Forgive me, for being an airhead chick. :lol: I ve been attending to ANY audiologist. My goal is to make sure they understand me well, and do pay attention to me. Audiologist do deal with any level of hearing, no matter what if they have experiences or not. My interest is that they do pay attention to me, and meet my needs when I ask for it.

You can call them and see how long have they been working there and you will notice how their attitudes approach to you. If you feel comfortable talking to them and understanding them better. THen the audiolgoist is the right one for you.

I dislike audiologist where my hub has been attending, becasue of her attitude is totally audist. :lol: yes She is a good one for my hub but not me. Can you image that she actually said that to me, " wow your hub is deafer than you and he can speak, and you dont./" WTF! :lol:

WTF is right!!! I didn't like the audiologist I was seeing in SC. He just seemed like a money mill, gave me the impression that he didn't want me in his office it was for anything that wouldn't make him money. He'd rush me back out the door, twice I tried to get hearing tests so it would be an updated test when he fitted my aids and he wouldn't do it. Plus he tried to sell me Phinak Ambras luckily I researched them and discovered they wouldn't cover all my loss, I also found they were being discontinued so I'm positive he was trying to fit me with them because he'd get a kick back for moving aids that were going to be discontinued. asshat

I'd really like someone with experience with profound loss just for fitting me. I imagine they'd be better at it.

Maybe you can try to look up at audiologists name then check the reviews to see if anyone likes or not. sometimes it helps. I did check for my doctor and many people gave positive comments. I called, and shes booked up the appointments. Eh. so i picked other doctor for now. I will switch after i meet more of them in the same office.

just suggestion to look up at the google and find any names in your local area to see if they have positive comments.

mev426 is from Texas but not sure which part but she wears the Naidas as well.

I went to see someone who was more experienced in fitting for people who are severe to profound and I hear a lot better including my left which did have no speech discim.

Hope you find someone good :) Good Luck.

Yeah, I'm in houston, but I don't know of how much help I can be to you seeing as I don't really like my audi and he mainly works with elderly people. I'm pretty sure I'm the first person he's sold super power hearing aids to

Yeah, I'm in houston, but I don't know of how much help I can be to you seeing as I don't really like my audi and he mainly works with elderly people. I'm pretty sure I'm the first person he's sold super power hearing aids to

And that is exactly what I want to get away from. I wonder if I contact VRC if they have someone they can recommend

And that is exactly what I want to get away from. I wonder if I contact VRC if they have someone they can recommend

University Speech and Hearing departments would have experience.

Truhearing might have options for you! (it has free thing and good audis along with free batteries and a 3 yr warranty!) *you might wanna check out the website since they also carry out Phonak which I may try out in January*

I know this has NOTHING to do with your question...
But I have an Audi story.
I have two Audi's, my male Audi for my RITE HAs and my (childhood, and my now most current, female Audi). My male Audiologist doesn't give two damns about my problems. I had to take my streamer in for my RITE for repairing , guess what he does? Ships it off. Next time I see him, he says "Oh it works fine!" *tests it out at home* IT DOESN'T FREAKING WORK!, 3rd time? "Shipping it off again..." *gets it back, tries it at home, volume is too low* ... basically, I gave up on that streamer and male Audi. He just wants to get the job done with and move on. He doesn't listen to my needs at all.
Now, for my female (childhood Audi and my favourite Audi) is the sweetest and treats me like a friend, not a client. She actually listens to my needs - this is for my BTE HA - and I am so happy she's back!
You'll find a good Audi, I know you will :) I'm from Canada so me helping won't do much :P but GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

I was going to an audiologist for years and it was fine then he had his step daughter and wife coming working for him and it was horrible. The daughter was a lazy bitch , her job was to call people and let them know when their HA came back from being repaired. I waited for the phone call and it never came so I called and the bitch said my HA came in a few day ago but she did not feel like calling! WTF ! I found a new audiologist . The OP should try asking her DR. if they know of a good audiologist . She may have to try going to a few before she find one she likes. I will never go to an audiologist that has their whole family working for them . My old audiologist son was working for his dad too and gave me a hearing test . I think the dad told his son how to do it and that son never when collage to an audiologist .

The gal I use is technically a dealer but has been in business for 25 some years and is really interested in getting things right. I am in an area where 3 small towns run into each other with a total population somewhere between 15 & 20 thousand for the three. There is one ENT in town (who has been here for years also) and the gal I use has such a good reputation that he no longer has an audiologist in his office!

Currently I am working with her and a rep from Phonak to get the most out of my new aid and accessories.

Back