Financial Aid for Hearing Aids?

amdd97

Reaction score
Hey so I'm Annemarie and I'm been hard of hearing in my left ear since I was born. I stopped wearing my hearing aid in middle school for various reasons, but now I am in college and I am having a hard time hearing teachers, students, etc. I was wondering if any of ya'll know if there are some good programs that can help students get hearing aids? My health insurance now doesn't cover them, and coping without one is becoming very difficult. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Hey so I'm Annemarie and I'm been hard of hearing in my left ear since I was born. I stopped wearing my hearing aid in middle school for various reasons, but now I am in college and I am having a hard time hearing teachers, students, etc. I was wondering if any of ya'll know if there are some good programs that can help students get hearing aids? My health insurance now doesn't cover them, and coping without one is becoming very difficult. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
For class you could just use an FM!

Awesome, thanks so much!!

Failing those options try your adult support services too like for developmental disabilities or whatever.

My Streamer was quoted for $250 but after I mentioned to my Support Administrator they were able to get it 100% waived for me.

For class you could just use an FM!

That would depend on the degree of her hearing loss- I don't know if you could use an FM system for the 'good ear' (which sounds like no deafness there). Suspect it would be better to get a hearing aid for the single side deafness THEN an FM system to supplement in a lecture environment.

Ditto Vocational Rehabilitation; ask about FM systems while you are at it asking about hearing aids. I was able to get an FM system paid for partially - years ago.

Good luck!

That would depend on the degree of her hearing loss- I don't know if you could use an FM system for the 'good ear' (which sounds like no deafness there). Suspect it would be better to get a hearing aid for the single side deafness THEN an FM system to supplement in a lecture environment.

Ditto Vocational Rehabilitation; ask about FM systems while you are at it asking about hearing aids. I was able to get an FM system paid for partially - years ago.

Good luck!
My school doesn't provide FM systems(they're not very disabled friendly-it's very frustrating) and it doesn't make sense for just one ear. I'll check out vocational rehabilitation, again thank you for all help!

My school doesn't provide FM systems(they're not very disabled friendly-it's very frustrating)

They are REQUIRED to if you can justifies it for reasonable accommodations. As part of the ADA as well as Section 504 if I remembered correctly.

I would also recommend seeking help regarding noncompliance if you are having issues with them accommodating you.

They are REQUIRED to if you can justifies it for reasonable accommodations. As part of the ADA as well as Section 504 if I remembered correctly.

I would also recommend seeking help regarding noncompliance if you are having issues with them accommodating you.
Ok, I will totally get on that!

Ok, I will totally get on that!

Seems like a plan to me! Let me know if your ever needing more help as this is just sadden me that they are treating you like this to begin with. As in businesses and communities your goals should be to make sure EVERYONE is able to be successful.

Seems like a plan to me! Let me know if your ever needing more help as this is just sadden me that they are treating you like this to begin with. As in businesses and communities your goals should be to make sure EVERYONE is able to be successful.
Yeah it's not great. My school is super small and doesn't have a lot of people who have disables. The dorms don't even have elevators bc they're so old, so it's not a disability friendly school.

Yeah it's not great. My school is super small and doesn't have a lot of people who have disables. The dorms don't even have elevators bc they're so old, so it's not a disability friendly school.

I am again sorry to see that your in such a place. As long as your in a public school system (like a community college for example) they HAS to adhere to the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) regardless of how many students it craters to.

If you has to/able to I would even consider swapping them out as well if you believe you are able to be more productive elsewhere. Heck you could even ask the new place to assist you to get the things sorted from the old place (as they will like to secure you as a valuable student so they will often do what they need to help you transfer to them). Though you WILL lose course(s) over but it may be worth the loss(es) if really this bad of a condition for you and your well being.

Back