finally i can relax!

chaymes

Reaction score
for the past two months that i have had my baby, i have been uptight and nervous when i lay him down to sleep. when i am right by him, i can hear him and when he cries on my shoulder it vibrates through my head. however, leave the room and i no longer know if he is crying or sleeping. i live with a family and several occassions i thought he was sleeping because i ddint hear anything and they would say someting like "you want me to check on him and see if he is okay?". i would be like "is he crying" and they would look at me weird and be like "he's screaming. you can't hear him?". "no" i would say and rush up there feeling so bad :tears: i went to walmart today and would you believe that they had a baby monitor that has sound, lights, AND vibrates? i bought it and used it for the first time today. i turned the sound off so the rest of te house would not have to be bothered if he was crying (like when we eat and stuff) and set it on vibrate. i was able for the first time to know if he was still asleep or if he was crying and what a wonderful feeling that was! sorry, i just had to say this because it feels so good to know i dont have to wonder anymore.

Awww...that's great to hear that you're feeling much more at ease since purchasing the device to help you be aware of when he's crying and so forth! :thumb:

Don't you feel bad nor guilty about not hearing him cry, etc...and people asking you that you couldn't hear him cry. You're obviously a very caring and loving mother. :)

:grouphug:

chaymes said:
for the past two months that i have had my baby, i have been uptight and nervous when i lay him down to sleep. when i am right by him, i can hear him and when he cries on my shoulder it vibrates through my head. however, leave the room and i no longer know if he is crying or sleeping. i live with a family and several occassions i thought he was sleeping because i ddint hear anything and they would say someting like "you want me to check on him and see if he is okay?". i would be like "is he crying" and they would look at me weird and be like "he's screaming. you can't hear him?". "no" i would say and rush up there feeling so bad :tears: i went to walmart today and would you believe that they had a baby monitor that has sound, lights, AND vibrates? i bought it and used it for the first time today. i turned the sound off so the rest of te house would not have to be bothered if he was crying (like when we eat and stuff) and set it on vibrate. i was able for the first time to know if he was still asleep or if he was crying and what a wonderful feeling that was! sorry, i just had to say this because it feels so good to know i dont have to wonder anymore.
OH thats good that you got a baby monitor..really helps i know! but i dont understand the family that wont tell you if the baby is crying! dont they know you are deaf? If they didnt know that you are deaf, then i would understand but i would tell them just in case, like if there is fire or something to wake you up or whatever..ya know?

good thing u got them so u will be more relax and u dont have forward and backward all the time.. whew!!!!! :wiggle:

chaymes said:

Congrats on your new baby ! :) You will enjoy with your new baby every moment. By the way, my Dad lives in Warwick.

Defee said:
OH thats good that you got a baby monitor..really helps i know! but i dont understand the family that wont tell you if the baby is crying! dont they know you are deaf? If they didnt know that you are deaf, then i would understand but i would tell them just in case, like if there is fire or something to wake you up or whatever..ya know?

oh yes the family definitely knows i cant hear. they still are learning just how much i cant hear but they know. they get concerned worried looks on their faces when i dont respond to phones ringing or my baby crying. it isnt that they dont know or are insensitive... it is just that when i moved in i trie dto pretend i could hear and when i couldnt hear my baby i would run upstairs constantly to see if he was crying or not and would nod my head in agreement even though i didnt understand what was said. the way they found out just how much i cant hear is one day we were in the living room. the guy in the house said that my baby was sleeping so i sat there and watched tv content that he was not crying. later on i guess he started to cry again but i had no idea. i kept watching tv and then that is when she came over and said she would check on him for me that he was crying. i was like omg he's crying? after a few times of that and feeling terrible afterwards for not knowing, i told her i needed a monitor. she told me that she would let me know if he was crying but that always meant depending on her and what if she wasn't home? so i went out to walmart and to my surprise saw a monitor that vibrates and bought it. it is a godsend!! so yes, they know i cant hear --- it is quite apparant when you live with someone. they just didnt know how much until i started telling them. i learned a good lesson that instead of being ashamed and pretending, it is much better to be proud of who you are and be upfront with others. life has gotten so much easier since i have learned to accept myself and my deafness as who i am and other people (most of them) understand if they know. they could find out on their own when you dont respond to them or whatever but it is so much better to let them know yourself.... what a load off my shoulders this has all been in so many ways!! and now, i am starting to find my first real connections to the Deaf community in my area which is even better. I just had to tell you about this monitor and how nice it is to know if he cries or not. Too bad walmart also doesnt sell amplified phones, TTY's, uniphones, flashing lights and other devices. I would think it being a "family" store with so many in the world with some degree of hearing loss or deafness they would sell some things for us.

OH ok! i understand clearly now..chaymes, thanks for explaining. Yeah, that monitor is good and you wont have to depend on others to let you know when the baby is crying..I wish too that Walmart would sell TDD's and other devices too! cuz i need to buy a new flashing alarm clock, my old one is messing up now..my husband is hearing but a little hoh in one ear due to exposure to loud noises over the years and he really depends on the flashing clock too! Im gonna to order a new one thru Harris Communications. Oh, your baby is so gorgeous! Motherhood is a wonderful thing, isnt it? your first one?
My son is grown now so i miss having kids around but i do have 4 grandchildren so i really cherish them very much! Take care and enjoy your baby monitor! :)

Wow, I'm glad that you got the monitor. Do you own or rent your home? If owned, then you can get some device that can plug into the doorbell, phone jack, and plug in for sound monitor anywhere in the house, and put the light everywhere in the house, including your bathroom. That is what I have right now in my owned house. It works like a charm. :) I will always know if my baby's fuzzy or crying, if I put him in that particular room (his bedroom). Just an idea to think about. Here's the link I am talking about: http://www.adcohearing.com/product1201.html

I know how you feel. I have a friend who had his first baby last year. He was so paranoid about the baby. Finally, he got a complete set of baby monitors that beeps, vibrates, and lights up. Now, he knows if the baby is crying or anything. Sometimes, it becomes funny and a bit annoying. After a couple months, the baby eventually figured out how to make the light flash so he would just make specific sounds only to see the light flash. When they see it flash, they would run to see him laying there giggling. Heh! Cute!

Aw, I know how you feel, *hugs*, Don't feel bad ..It's happen to most of us ...I also had brought a sound/light monitor after my ex-husband went back to work, and I knew I had to get one in case my baby would start to cry or etc....I am glad you got one, that sure took the load off your back!

Btw, Congrats, on your new baby! Hope everything goes well... :)

Back