Feedback on Z5 Max?

They've approved me acquiring the Z5 Max.

... Should be interesting, once I get it. I plan on checking everything out regarding it and see if I can't do some fun modifications. Like removing that stupid limitation discussed about here.

No reason for that limitation to be there... well, other than the obvious one but it's a really stupid limitation. Especially since it's a Windows computer and well... if there's no antivirus as said here... then I am shoving antivirus down the Z5 Max's throat!

I'll let you guys know the fun progress of this project when I get it... should be a few days.

I'll be waiting to read your posts about it.

Yep, you'll hear about how I did it regarding the Z5 Max.

I'm fairly sure there's a way to reset the BIOS password... but if it's the same as the administrator account password, then I won't need the BIOS password. I'll just pull the password from the administrator account and then reset the BIOS password.

I'll let people know when I get it... should be next week, since I ordered it on Thursday, Oct 29th.

Really it's all broil down to BIOS and GPedit. Like BIOS can turn off the USB ports, or using gpedit to set not to download or installing print drivers. I often use gpedit for locking down the computer using DSS ODAA Standardization of Baseline Technical Security Configurations. Once that completed, then that gpedit file will be locked out. In Windows 7, you can use run command and type out gpedit.msc, you will find lot of details about how you want to lock it.

So, there's a possibility that unlocking BIOS will not help because there's one more security layer involved, the group policy (GP).

Really it's all broil down to BIOS and GPedit. Like BIOS can turn off the USB ports, or using gpedit to set not to download or installing print drivers. I often use gpedit for locking down the computer using DSS ODAA Standardization of Baseline Technical Security Configurations. Once that completed, then that gpedit file will be locked out. In Windows 7, you can use run command and type out gpedit.msc, you will find lot of details about how you want to lock it.

So, there's a possibility that unlocking BIOS will not help because there's one more security layer involved, the group policy (GP).

Sure it does, silly!

Getting BIOS-level access means you can change what the computer does. Such as booting to a flash drive with Linux or some other tools, for example.

GPEdit? That's easy to work around. If I have the device in my physical possession, it will be OWNED.

I will make it mine. It may be difficult to make it happen, but I will make the Z5 Max mine and install additional security in Windows since Linux currently doesn't have great
support for ZVRS products.

Edit: I'm a systems administrator. Rooting the device will be child's play for me.

Hmm. Just got the B40.

I also have the service manual for it. No bios password resets in the service manual, however.

I can probably forcibly reset the admin password. Unfortunately... there's not much to be said about the BIOS. If I reset the admin password, I won't know what the password was for the BIOs.

However, I did notice that I have the option to boot via USB, if so desired when I attempted to access the BIOS.

Edit: Note, the manual's here.

qqqq's

What kind of setup does Z and many other business that restricts users. I don't think it's parental control.. It look more like User Access Control (UAC)or some sort of program in Windows or 3rd party that they set up and locks only for certain use. I did go into Control Panel in ZMax but cannot access settings (wifi). whenever I clicks, it won't pop to next window. What setting or program that they are using?? I just want to look for a way to bypass that or hack into it.

dude you are right and I did check them out oh snap I done switch machine over it too bad !!!!

My good friend hacked it already and he said BIOS and 3rd party software are same password. Good job ZVRS.

hey I didn't know that you got them cuz bios chip is 32bit ami brands chip is bigger then orginal 16bit bios chip but 32bit bios chip added more security that weird

Yes, I am fully aware of it. I just want less clutter behind. Z could have done better job by swapping out WiFi card for higher quality one. So what's the difference between Wifi Card and Wireless Bridge, both works the same way. Quality have to do with it.

I can give you example.. I was invited to go over to friend's house bringing laptop so everyone can log in website and sign in sponsor and submit as many support as we can for Deaf NASCAR driver. (forgot his name). One guy had hard time getting his laptop stay connect to Wifi which was just 10 feet from us. I have full signal and he have 1 bar. He had settings correctly configured as I saw but still weak. I told him that it's a lousy wifi card. He agreed. I told him that he can buy better one in Ebay and swap it then install driver in it. It'll be lot better.

I worked with lot of laptops. I have seen quality of wifi card. I decide to swap lousy one for better wifi card coming from other broken laptop. I saw big improvements on signal reception. My client was very happy with it. Router brands can play role on quality of signal. Even with perfectly good wifi card you have and still get 2 or 3 bars signal and router only few feets from it. Then pin blame on Router.

Often Wireless B and G which are very old and doesn't go that far while A and N can go that far. A and N get best receptions. So you'll have to play around with different routers (if you're a VP installer, you'll know)

I experimented with several different Wireless Bridge in past when I was ZInstaller. I found out that Dlink at that time was the best bridge even it's complicated to configure. Why Dlink? Because it boots up 30 seconds and ready to use while Z20 still booting up after power plug unplug/plug reset. So Z20 will quickly connect and go online.

While other Wireless bridge of different brands, I forgot what name it was and it is small and when you first use Bridge, you simply run browser and it'll go to bridge setup first thing. After that, Bridge connects to Wifi and it's ready to use afterward, browser will not go into Bridge setup afterward. It was the easiest bridge to setup BUT one bad part is that it boot up and ready to use in 3 MIN!!!!! Too Slowww!!!! It sucks! returned to store and refunded. Because customer have no patience and suppose power outage, that's going to be an issue with Z20 which takes time to finally connect online.

Other bridge easy to set up but it's funky so returned to store for refund.

I ended up with Dlink as best option

Rule of thumb for Wireless Bridge:

1- It must boot up and ready to use within 30 seconds
2- It must be able to handle heavy internet load
3-It must not crash over the time (sitting idle for long time)
4-It must stay connected wirelessly to router without getting funky or disconnected for no reason. It must be reliable.

Dlink Wireless bridge passed my rule of thumb. My Dlink Bridge is old but it's amazing that it stubbornly stay connected unless there's power outage. I use 2.4GHz instead of 5Ghz because 5Ghz seem weak even it's 20 ft away and it get a little funky. 2.4Ghz goes long way and no issues.

Now ZMax is using old Dlink for good reliable wifi connection. NO choppy or freeze up video.. I think ZMax actually have Wireless N card and it should works the same way to keep behind uncluttered. I wish I can hack into setting to turn it on to do away with Wireless Bridge.

Catty

I tell you z5 max newer latest machine is b40-30 from Lenovo they use wireless ac wifi card is better jobs but no Linux support need different adaptor to order to work ubunto and other Linux to works on c460 model they use wireless n support Linux and Ubuntu like really ? ugh !

So far, I've yet to figure out how to bypass the BIOS lock on it.

Removing the hard drive and stripping the admin account of the password would be very easy to do... however, that leaves me with no way to get at the BIOS unless I open the thing up.

Hmm. I'm still working through my options but I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Edit: Also, they removed the Lenovo Service partition for whatever reason. I am also unable to boot the computer via USB... but I might be able to via CD/DVD... I just need to burn a OS to a disk and try.

The OS is now Windows 10. And they've effectively locked it down to the point where you can't do anything.

http://www.zvrs.com/about-us/the-z/z-product-agreement

Z Product Agreement

Thank you for ordering a Z™ Phone from ZVRS. We at ZVRS hope you will enjoy your use of your Z™ product. If you have any problems with your Z™ product, you can contact our Customer Service Staff by calling 866.932.7891 through your Z™ Phone or you can e-mail us at help@ZVRS.com. In return, we ask that you (1) provide us with some general information about yourself and permit us to contact you from time to time to provide you information about our services and ask you for feedback on your particular Z™ product; (2) promise not to transfer your phone to someone else; and (3) promise not to tamper with your Z™ Phone, or to let anyone else tamper with it. We hope you enjoy the ability to use your Z™ Phone to communicate with Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and/or hearing people anytime you want! This Agreement shall be deemed effective as of the date on which your Z™ product is installed and/or the date you first use your Z™ phone, whichever comes first. If requested, we will provide you with free training on use of the Software with the Z™ phone. By using a Z™ product, you expressly warrant and represent that you have the authority and right to enter into this Agreement and agree to all of the terms and conditions contained herein.

Why are you trying tampering with it? What is the point of doing that especially since you are breaking your promise to not tamper with it?

Because if a part such as the hard drive fails or the RAM fails, I'd like to replace those parts without needing to contact ZVRS.

I already have spare parts available in the event the Z5 Max fails for me. It was a giant pain in the ass to make a backup image of the hard drive in its entirety.

I'm still baffled as to why they removed the service partition. Whoever mandated that the partition be removed made the wrong decision.

I'm also extremely wary about having a device that has a web-browser in it that I don't have administrative control over.

I do know that Windows 10 has an antivirus included and activated by default from Microsoft... but beyond that, there is no other method of keeping the device secure.

No ad-block software in the browser? No anti-malware? What were they thinking when they set this up?

Basically, in other words, this device has a way of being compromised that I cannot protect the device from. I have no way of knowing if a website is clean because these days, any website in the Internet can be compromised without you knowing it.

... Discovered that there's no way to change how long it takes before the display goes to sleep but remains on. No way to change how much power it uses at any given time.

Why lock this out? This is stupid.

So far, I've yet to figure out how to bypass the BIOS lock on it.

Removing the hard drive and stripping the admin account of the password would be very easy to do... however, that leaves me with no way to get at the BIOS unless I open the thing up.

Hmm. I'm still working through my options but I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Edit: Also, they removed the Lenovo Service partition for whatever reason. I am also unable to boot the computer via USB... but I might be able to via CD/DVD... I just need to burn a OS to a disk and try.

The OS is now Windows 10. And they've effectively locked it down to the point where you can't do anything.

Get the idea about inability to install OS to this Lenovo, that is the reason why they removed the Lenovo reserved partition plus disabling installing from USB or CD/DVD. Looking at the manual, it look like it's not showing all of the settings. Swapping to blank HD wouldn't help because you will need to enable to boot from CD/DVD or USB. I don't know how many hours you spend on trying to figure out...it's pretty fool proof LOL.

... Discovered that there's no way to change how long it takes before the display goes to sleep but remains on. No way to change how much power it uses at any given time.

Why lock this out? This is stupid.

Stupid? No, it is business, nothing personal. Since they provided you equipment, there should be payment in exchange for this... how? By using their service.

Same concept with wireless, if you get their smartphone at deep discount, what happened? They locked your deep discounted smartphone and you can use only their service, not other service providers.

If you want use equipment for personal use, pay it up, simple as is.

Once again, its nothing personal, its just business and its perfectly legal.

My friend got ZMax couple weeks ago. He was fix computers as good as I am though he's an old man (He works at same building as me LOLLOL). He told me that he reallly hacked ZMax and removed "Circle" start menu. He is now at Win 8.1. He said couple days ago, ZVRS called him and asked what's going on with his ZMax cuz it's no longer connected to their Remote Control Server. He said I don't know.. Geez!!

What he originally did when he first got ZMax, He hacked and got Wifi working. Then he tried to reset BIOS but it was locked regardless battery removed and replaced. He took ZMax to his friend who also a Professional PC repair. His friend said someone hacked it to lock BIOS. He recommend getting replacement MoBo so He did.

I forgot to mentioned that he ordered BIOS chipset reset tool but turned out it didn't fit correctly. He planned to get matching connector one thru Ebay again.

He said that when he was in Win 8.1, He found that there is no Antivirus software installed. He ran Antivirus and sure enough lot of viruses. Once he get new mobo, he will use it for his own purpose but will use Z5 which was already installed.

He said he will reset BIOS once if he get correct BIOS reset tool.

As for me... I can understand why two different Lenovo Touch screen PC. Ever wonder why "B" 40-30 while other is "C" 50-xx is because "B" is for Business and "C" is for Customer. Customer version have jumper to reset bios while Business don't so this is main purpose to prevent employees from hacking BIOS for their own purpose (use wifi, dvd, and some hardwares for their own purpose)

Sheesh he's really deep into hacking ZMax LOLOLOL

He admitted that he have records at VRS for hacking their equipments :rofl:

Catty

Catty

Because if a part such as the hard drive fails or the RAM fails, I'd like to replace those parts without needing to contact ZVRS.

I already have spare parts available in the event the Z5 Max fails for me. It was a giant pain in the ass to make a backup image of the hard drive in its entirety.

I'm still baffled as to why they removed the service partition. Whoever mandated that the partition be removed made the wrong decision.

I'm also extremely wary about having a device that has a web-browser in it that I don't have administrative control over.

I do know that Windows 10 has an antivirus included and activated by default from Microsoft... but beyond that, there is no other method of keeping the device secure.

No ad-block software in the browser? No anti-malware? What were they thinking when they set this up?

Basically, in other words, this device has a way of being compromised that I cannot protect the device from. I have no way of knowing if a website is clean because these days, any website in the Internet can be compromised without you knowing it.

friend of mine told me he hacked into ZMax's Administrative lock in Windows 8.1 and found out NO ANTIVIRUS in it. He ran antivirus and Man!!! he said lot of virus in it. (he took hard drive from ZMax and transfer to other PC as Slave drive and he deleted Administrative software (one that have Circle Start Menu on front of screen plus locks rest of other programs as well). He put it back and booted straight to Win 8.1. But still can't get into BIOS so he ordered another mobo (He couldn't use DVD drive and other hardwares that came with it so replacing MOBO is the solution. He even bought BIOS reset tool but did not fit the chipset so he planned to order other one that will fit. There is no jumper to reset BIOS).

Just FYI

I tell you z5 max newer latest machine is b40-30 from Lenovo they use wireless ac wifi card is better jobs but no Linux support need different adaptor to order to work ubunto and other Linux to works on c460 model they use wireless n support Linux and Ubuntu like really ? ugh !

Just simply swap to different WiFi mini card to Atheros branded and it'll guarantee to work with Linux. That's what I did.. (CEO at Atheros is Linux lover and he made it compatible with it.)

Broadcom can work with Linux but it will be Hardware Restriction.

Catty

yeah I surprised that z5 max has no service partions they erased by zvrs and I have recovery cd with me and I have unlocked machine with me to help peoples fix a problem with z5 max machine I can help restoring peoples hard drive that came with machine!

Back