FCC's Net Neutrality

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday, Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 to open for public debate new rules meant to guarantee an open Internet.

They would ban Internet providers from blocking or slowing down access to websites

FCC and Net Neutrality: What You Need to Know

It's been a hot issue for a while. It was one of our posted discussion topics in my Data Communications class last semester.

New FCC chairman Ajit Pai wants to kill net neutrality. President Trump had opposed net neutrality over the past couple of years. Hurt deaf, blind and disable people? Lose VRS and VI? President Trump doesn't care with deaf people.

Of course he doesn't care about deaf people. He hasnt shown it.

Anyways, about the net neutrality...I am still not fully knowledgeable about it. How would it impact VP services? Can anyone explain?

Anyways, about the net neutrality...I am still not fully knowledgeable about it. How would it impact VP services? Can anyone explain?

The way I understand it.. if there is no net neutrality then ISPs can charge even more on top of what you already pay... kind of like "Pay to play". You'd end up having to pay for access to different sites- even though you're already paying a monthly fee to access the internet itself.

Definitely confusing but it seems like it won't be a good thing for consumers. And it Net Neutrality goes away, I'll bet that we may be charged for use of VRS- or the VRS companies will have to pay to be able to transmit via ISP/"internet access" so they'll start charging a monthly fee. That won't be good for those who may not be able to afford it.

Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood any of this.

#10 is the most worrisome point in this article
http://www.networkworld.com/article...-say-goodbye-to-a-free-and-open-internet.html

A little more explanation on what Net Neutrality is-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sion-in-plain-english/?utm_term=.73983fff34b0

Not sure, the funding for VRS hasn't been eliminated so we need wait and see.

but it is possible for monthly data cap to come back and VP probably consume a lot of data.

and VP probably consume a lot of data.

Yes VP does. With streaming like Netflix and Hulu etc.. it's only one way. with VP/VRS it's both ways so it does eat up a lot of data and bandwidth.

The way I see it, USA invented the internet. And USA has the worst net speeds for the money. Removing net neutrality should improve speeds and lower costs. One price for everyone (dreaming maybe?).

Probably a dream but the way the companies actually want it is to get as much money out of us as possible... so they'll charge everyone to even use broadband- especially for streaming... then that cost gets passed on to us in the form of higher ISP costs. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see bills for 300 dollars to get 'fast lane'/top shelf speeds and 50 dollars for the slowest possible speeds on the face of the earth. I don't think we'll ever see "one price for all"- we'd have seen it for cable tv by now.. and for cell phone coverage.

FCC (or someone is) is trying to block something like 9 ISPs/Companies from offering low cost/free internet to those who cannot afford it.. in a world where just about everything is dependent on the internet anyway.

FCC (or someone is) is trying to block something like 9 ISPs/Companies from offering low cost/free internet to those who cannot afford it.. in a world where just about everything is dependent on the internet anyway.

I read that article too. CRAZY!

The way I see it, USA invented the internet. And USA has the worst net speeds for the money. Removing net neutrality should improve speeds and lower costs. One price for everyone (dreaming maybe?).

No, net neutrality doesn't cause worst net speed, it is due to lack of competition.

Japan and South Korea have world class fastest internet speed due to many competition, also government own the infrastructure.

The net neutrality banned ISP from put websites into tier like cable TV package, also banned on prioritize the connection that favoring ISP, so ISP is supposed to be neutral, not favor others, so it is very pro-customer rights.

Be cool if USA has one price for all. But doubt it.

Back