FCC Announces New Rules for 800/866/877 Numbers No Longer Free

See 4 numbers above? They are all same thing toll free numbers.

Remember you are VP user, the VP does not connect directly to telephone company. Only telephone company can bill for any LD (Long Distance) charges, Internet companies can NOT charge you for LD, and VP connect directly with Internet company so they can't charge you for any LD calls you make on VP. Simple as that!

I do not have telephone service and my VP uses local number not toll free number and I do make LD calls and have not seen single LD charges.

Your not alone confused with this, there is nothing to be confused with. Simple as that.

Oh, Duh!!! It is only for 800 numbers not 866. I must have got nervous when I read Jay's post in that link.. he said 800/866. Thank you and now I am relieved.

Oh, Duh!!! It is only for 800 numbers not 866. I must have got nervous when I read Jay's post in that link.. he said 800/866. Thank you and now I am relieved.

who told you 866 is not part of 800?

Toll-free numbers in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) are sometimes called "One-800 numbers" after the original area code which was used to dial them. They include the area codes 800 since 1967, 888 (since 1996), 877 (since 1998), 866 (since 2000) and 855 (since 2010). Area codes reserved for future expansion include 844, 833, 822, 880 through 887, and 889.

Toll-free telephone number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now start wave bye bye 866 next year

from a deaf point of view- nothing really changes for you. no cost.

from the hearing point of view, they will just lose the ability to save money on a long distance call to a deaf person. Instead they pay the rate from whatever area code they call from and to, just like pre-VP days with tty's/tdd's but its both ways.

clear as mud yet?:aw:

depend on phone plan and phone type hearing person have

if you are VP users, you are making a call via long distance on VRS, you will not being billed.

if you make call to other deaf person on VP, You will not get charged because VP is connect directly over Internet.

Hearing people making call to deaf person via VRS from landline phones depend on the long distance plan such as unlimited long distance or have to get long distance usage bill, hearing people cannot call collect to VRS, VRS will not pay for collect call.

hearing people can purchase cheap prepaid calling card in convenience store or gas station or order prepaid calling card over the internet.

hearing people who has cellphone, they can use allowance airtime minutes but does not charge for long distance fee, but make call via toll free number, incur airtime charge still apply

if you want to keep toll free number and you have your own new toll free long distance provider and you have to pay bills after Aug 4 2012 and you can port your old toll free number to your new toll free long distance provider. you have to find cheapest incoming toll free long distance rate on the web and you can search on Google or Yahoo .

toll free number direct dial is very cheapest than operator assisted collect call

I guess that the way to go. Since hearing people using the 866/800 numbers they are taking advantage of those free calls. If FCC orders all VRS to remove all 866/800 numbers, I think hearing people will be forced to pay a long distance calls to deaf callers. If deaf people make a long distance call using video relay, they are getting free calls. It is not fair to those hearing callers to pay long distance calls than deaf callers get it for free.

It doesn't matter much now because deaf people pay internet bills with FCC fees which it doesn't cost much to us.

I wish keep call free because lot of hearing people always forget to dial 10 local digit phone numbers. Too many problem because hearing people always forget to dial 10 digits local phone number . I am sick and tired of forget by hearing people because hearing people dial 7 digits phone numbers and found out that wrong numbers. That is sad. I want to keep call free to make people dial easy to straight me . I hope you understand what I mean.

I wish keep call free because lot of hearing people always forget to dial 10 local digit phone numbers. Too many problem because hearing people always forget to dial 10 digits local phone number . I am sick and tired of forget by hearing people because hearing people dial 7 digits phone numbers and found out that wrong numbers. That is sad. I want to keep call free to make people dial easy to straight me . I hope you understand what I mean.

I think you misunderstood the new setup. instead of free one 800 number that looks like you are a business person, we are using your REAL one local number that represents the area code you live in. Its still a one number to call. no more call relay first then give "fake" number to call.

We have come a long ways star.... Its better then ever.

from the hearing point of view, they will just lose the ability to save money on a long distance call to a deaf person. Instead they pay the rate from whatever area code they call from and to, just like pre-VP days with tty's/tdd's but its both ways.

And, this is good thing because people get confused by the numbers?

Why do we want to put another obstacle (cost) for people to communicate? I'm lucky if I can get my hearing friends to text never mind pay for a phone call. I think we should be making this less difficult.

Tollfree numbers are no longer in service

who told you 866 is not part of 800?

Toll-free numbers in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) are sometimes called "One-800 numbers" after the original area code which was used to dial them. They include the area codes 800 since 1967, 888 (since 1996), 877 (since 1998), 866 (since 2000) and 855 (since 2010). Area codes reserved for future expansion include 844, 833, 822, 880 through 887, and 889.

Toll-free telephone number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now start wave bye bye 866 next year

qwerty123 is right: tollfree numbers include 800, 888, 877, 866, and 855.

No need to wait until next year though, they're already turned off.

Your tollfree numbers have actually been removed from iTRS as of November 22nd per the FCC's order to do so.

Relay Consumer Alert: New FCC Rules on Toll Free Numbers | National Association of the Deaf

This means that any tollfree numbers you may think you have are now turned off, unless you have 'resp-orged' your tollfree number from your VRS provider to a Responsible Organization that you now pay yourself directly.

You realize this is an old post that someone dug up? :cool2:

DOH! I actually didn't realize that until you pointed it out.

The deadline to remove tollfree numbers has just passed, so it seemed timely.

On the other hand, now that tollfree numbers are no longer in iTRS, we are getting a number of VRS calls from folks trying to reach someone point-to-point using their now defunct tollfree number.

On the other hand, now that tollfree numbers are no longer in iTRS, we are getting a number of VRS calls from folks trying to reach someone point-to-point using their now defunct tollfree number.

many calls from soresnon right?

Back