Father To Hard Of Hearing 7 Year Old

Awesome that you are looking to learn as a family. ASL would serve your daughter better.

An interesting experiment can be done for testing simultaneous signing/speaking (sim-comm).

Have someone record a clear video with sound of you signing and speaking. (Use text that includes a variety of information, such as dates, times, names, descriptions, and instructions.)

Then, find two people to analyze the recording.

1. Fluent, native Deaf ASL user to analyze the visual message without any sound. (Try to avoid speech reading.)

2. Fluent, native hearing English user to analyze the audio message, using a headset and not watching the video.

Have them each write a transcript of what they either saw or heard of the message. Include impressions of message mood and tone, and how they would grade the fluency level of the signer/speaker.

Then you read both transcripts and see if the content of the message is equivalent. That is, the wording doesn't have to be exactly the same but the transcripts should be compared for factual content, mood/tone, and fluency level.

Then you can get an idea of how fluent and accurate your sim-comm is.

I've got a bit rusty from disuse - though I am picking it up again but I went to school with lot kids who used Sign Supported English and all are able to easily slide into BSL.

I'm not saying it's ideal - I'm saying that if a family isn't prepared to switch to ASL for all their interactions (not just with the deaf child) then there is always going to be a loss communication. It is, in my opinion, better that the child always has access to some communication than to strictly divide the two.

to the op.
give aslnook on youtube a look...

for all ages..
enjoy

Back