Fake deaf

I have days where listening takes too much effort and sometimes will ignore strangers, pretending I cannot hear.

Also if I am with Deaf friends in public ordering at restaurant or other social interatcion I will fake-deaf because both I and my friends hate when hearing person will rely on me to interpret for them, when friends are prefer to write.

As a hearie this bothered me. As a hearie-turning-hoh, it flat-out pisses me off. As I go forward, I will have a harder time fitting in because of people like her. I will be mistaken as a fake because of people like her. I will have to take crap from Deaf/HOH because people like her make it that much more difficult for newbies like myself to be trusted. Never mind that she is screwed up, she is making this harder for EVERYONE. :mad2:

I have days where listening takes too much effort and sometimes will ignore strangers, pretending I cannot hear.

Also if I am with Deaf friends in public ordering at restaurant or other social interatcion I will fake-deaf because both I and my friends hate when hearing person will rely on me to interpret for them, when friends are prefer to write.

what you doing is unhealthy,you not deaf...if you dont want to talk then dont...you living in pretend world, we deaf living in the real world..would you pretend be blind or bran injury,i doubt it because that be cruel and you be taking piss

Even though it's a joke, I gotta go with this. It's so true.

Likely just being rude. Mental illness is something most are oblivious to and it requires a medical examination for an accurate diagnosis. Even then most mentally ill don't except that they're different or understand people's reaction to their behavior.

Laura

Likely just being rude. Mental illness is something most are oblivious to and it requires a medical examination for an accurate diagnosis. Even then most mentally ill don't except that they're different or understand people's reaction to their behavior.

Laura

Actually, I wasn't referring to the mental illness part. I was referring to the fact that most HoH/deaf fake that they can hear. It's commonly referred to as bluffing.

I'll edit the above post to make it more clear.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the mental illness part. I was referring to the fact that most HoH/deaf fake that they can hear. It's commonly referred to as bluffing.

I'll edit the above post to make it more clear.

Interesting, when I try to fake that I can hear, I call it embarassment.

Laura

the world is a hearing world so many deaf bluff hearing, sometime is survial tactic.i can not see point of faking deaf....want be deaf so much ask dr remove vital parts of ears..would be unethical but not impossible....i doubt she want go that far...bluffing deafness and she can hear gives her advantage over her deaf friends plus it patronizing to them

I fake that I can hear all the time!

I dont say to people that I am hearing but if anyone even family and friends talk to me and I have no idea what they are saying, I can get away with saying 'umm & yes & oh right' in the right places. :)

the world is a hearing world so many deaf bluff hearing, sometime is survial tactic.i can not see point of faking deaf....want be deaf so much ask dr remove vital parts of ears..would be unethical but not impossible....

I feel I do fake deafness sometimes but it's not because I want my ears destroyed.

It's because people don't get it that I only catch about 25%~80% of what they said. Even if I want to be able to hear them the first time, it's just not going to happen. :roll:

Such as: Can you make sure to close the windows before you leave after class?
I hear: Make sure to feed the minnows before class after class???
huh???? There's minnows in the class? where?
My Response: Ok............
(I didn't understand what was said but I'll ask someone next to me to tell me what was said. I say yes or OK even if I don't understand because most requests of this sort are reasonable.)

I keep telling people to e-mail me lengthy directions or to get my attention before talking to me but some people still don't get it, so I tell them:
I'm kind of deaf. I can't hear in crowds. Can we move to somewhere quiet?
("deaf" is easier to understand for some people)

Also now when I give them that blank stare they finally remember "Oh yeah, she didn't get what I said because she can't hear me." OR I feel less like I have to pretend to be a normal hearing person, which means I feel less exhausted/overwhelmed/intimidated at the end of the day.
Even if someone says something and I figured it out the first time it was said, it's good to know that person is willing to repeat what they said if I needed it.

Because if I tell people I'm hard of hearing, they start shouting :( Unfortunately that doesn't help.
I can hear just fine. I just can't understand what is said sometimes.

Haha! Do you know how often that happens?
too many!

:laugh2:

:giggle: True that! I think my friends think I'm a crazy person! If something I mishear is hilarious to me (often is) I will tell them what I thought they said. Good laughs for everyone involved. hahaha!

Often the subtle way I communicate that I didn't understand something is not adequate. A fuller way I communicate it is to repeat what I thought they said, whether it is gibberish or off the wall. That way, they can rephrase or articulate better the sounds with which I have difficulty. There is less frustration with it, because it is often funny.

That's what I try to do. "Ok, I heard you say, 'the hallways smells like sofa," but I seriously doubt that what you were getting at.." "Kris, I said SULFUR." "Ohhhh..."

I feel like they get that I didn't miss the whole thing and don't have to re-say everything and are, therefore, more likely to not blow it off with a "nevermind". I hate "nevermind"!!!

That's what I try to do. "Ok, I heard you say, 'the hallways smells like sofa," but I seriously doubt that what you were getting at.." "Kris, I said SULFUR." "Ohhhh..."

I feel like they get that I didn't miss the whole thing and don't have to re-say everything and are, therefore, more likely to not blow it off with a "nevermind". I hate "nevermind"!!!

Often the subtle way I communicate that I didn't understand something is not adequate. A fuller way I communicate it is to repeat what I thought they said, whether it is gibberish or off the wall. That way, they can rephrase or articulate better the sounds with which I have difficulty. There is less frustration with it, because it is often funny.

:giggle: True that! I think my friends think I'm a crazy person! If something I mishear is hilarious to me (often is) I will tell them what I thought they said. Good laughs for everyone involved. hahaha!
All of this! This is what I do. Even though in Deaf community I'm HOH, I call myself Deaf because essentially I am (and legally). I'm NR/92 so yeah I don't hear much :P

Back