Extreme Couponing

Bear

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you do extreme couponing like on the TV show? If so, how do you go about getting started?

I used to do lots of coupons years ago and was able to pay plenty of cents. I used to buy several newspapers on Sundays and sold coupons on eBay. I got a death stare from a cashier thinking I was stealing! Many stores are forced to change their policy on limiting coupons since Extreme Couponing show came out on TLC. So many coupon bloggers are upset over it.

It is a LOT of work. Hubby is begging me to do it again since I stopped about 5 years ago for reasons. I love HEB and they do lots of coupons. I can combine manufacturer coupon or P&G coupon and HEB coupon together to save money.

Problem is that I live in a very small town area and finding coupons here isnt so easy. If I bought the newspapers here there is no coupons in them. I would have to buy like Cleveland or Toledo papers but I dont wanna shop in Cleveland or Toledo every week to get the savings as both are more than an hour away from me.

That's tough to live in a small town. There are other ways to buy things online and earn points without driving around all the time. It is one of the reasons I decided to not pursue it anymore. I don't buy processed items for health reasons. I have to order shampoo, conditioner and deodorant online because all stores don't sell them. HEB is one of the few grocery stores to allow coupons to buy fresh food. I wish all grocery stores do this same thing.

Ok, I am giving you dirty tips.

First, get a new email account because you will have to register store accounts, so you get TONS of information like Weekly Ad and special offers from all grocery stores, drugstores, Target and Walmart, etc. They will flood your email. Keep it separate from your personal email account.

Second, if you buy Cleveland or Toledo papers, you don't need to go to Cleveland or Toledo to shop unless you have Walgreen, CVS or a local grocery store near you. Some newspapers companies can mess up by not adding coupon inserts. Go look up Coupon Schedule 2019.
https://www.sundaycouponinserts.com/coupon-schedule/

It will let you know it is a good time to buy Sunday newspapers with coupon inserts ahead.

Third, you will print lots of printable coupons, so you will download program like coupons.com or Target.com. Target does have its own coupons. You can combine it with manufacture coupon or PG coupon together. Buy papers.

Be prepared to stand firm and debate with a cashier. Some cashiers have no knowledge how coupons work. If it doesn't work out with a cashier, ask for a manager. You have to study coupon terms like coupon per purchase or coupon per transaction.

I have a few favorite coupon bloggers. They have tons of information more than what Extreme Couponing show offered. Check them out.
https://thekrazycouponlady.com/
https://fabulesslyfrugal.com/

Yesterday, I saw 15 sets of pen for calligraphy on Amazon. The original price was almost worth $200. You can buy it for $12 now. But I am not interested in buying it anyway.

Wow thanks for the tips!! I am definitely going to look into it. I dont think I wanna be an extreme couponer but it would be nice to seriously cut my food bills every month.

Wow thanks for the tips!! I am definitely going to look into it. I dont think I wanna be an extreme couponer but it would be nice to seriously cut my food bills every month.

You are welcome. I have a problem with extreme couponers. They have gone too far to buy hundreds of same items. I have seen some of their blogs. I have to admit stores did the right thing on limiting coupons but the problem is extreme couponers can come back next day to buy more without violating the policy unless a manager says no more. Some even signed up for rain check to get more. The question is how much more do you need? I'd rather them to balance it out.

People buy items on clearance at Walmart and Target and resell them online like Amazon and make fortune. Some even quit their jobs to make a living for this. Reselling is not illegal, but when it involves taxes and warranty, that's when it becomes complicated as long as you follow the rules. About 2 years ago, a guy gave up his job to make million dollars by reselling things online. There are a few articles about him.

If you plan to cut down the food bill, buy a extra freezer. If you look up fresh food on sale, buy bunches of them and steam them. Then freeze them for 6 months. I only use glass containers and Mason jars. That way I don't have to buy plastic bags anymore. My boys eat so much food.

Have fun shopping!

You are welcome. I have a problem with extreme couponers. They have gone too far to buy hundreds of same items. I have seen some of their blogs. I have to admit stores did the right thing on limiting coupons but the problem is extreme couponers can come back next day to buy more without violating the policy unless a manager says no more. Some even signed up for rain check to get more. The question is how much more do you need? I'd rather them to balance it out.

People buy items on clearance at Walmart and Target and resell them online like Amazon and make fortune. Some even quit their jobs to make a living for this. Reselling is not illegal, but when it involves taxes and warranty, that's when it becomes complicated as long as you follow the rules. About 2 years ago, a guy gave up his job to make million dollars by reselling things online. There are a few articles about him.

If you plan to cut down the food bill, buy a extra freezer. If you look up fresh food on sale, buy bunches of them and steam them. Then freeze them for 6 months. I only use glass containers and Mason jars. That way I don't have to buy plastic bags anymore. My boys eat so much food.

Have fun shopping!

Wow this is awesome advice thank you! What I do not agree with and have a problem with is people reselling what they get for free or practically nothing. If you do get a whole bunch of the item, I believe you should be donating it to other people who need it, not reselling it. The only thing I would wanna really stock up on is stuff you go through really fast. Like soap, a little extra shampoo and conditioners, laundry soap, toilet paper and etc like that. I wouldnt mind having a small food stockpile, but here is my thing. I would worry that eventually having a huge stockpile like some of these have, would eventually attract mice and bugs. To be honest, I doubt I would get into extreme couponing in the way they do on TV. I would just like to seriously cut my food budget.

Wow this is awesome advice thank you! What I do not agree with and have a problem with is people reselling what they get for free or practically nothing. If you do get a whole bunch of the item, I believe you should be donating it to other people who need it, not reselling it. The only thing I would wanna really stock up on is stuff you go through really fast. Like soap, a little extra shampoo and conditioners, laundry soap, toilet paper and etc like that. I wouldnt mind having a small food stockpile, but here is my thing. I would worry that eventually having a huge stockpile like some of these have, would eventually attract mice and bugs. To be honest, I doubt I would get into extreme couponing in the way they do on TV. I would just like to seriously cut my food budget.

I used to donate basic essentials to my friends in need before I stopped doing couponing. I currently make my list of what we need, and monitor sales online. I memorize their prices in my head. Those working pants originally cost $50-$60. I was able to get it down to $20-$30, even $10 when I used points. Bought it for my hubby. There is another tip for you. If you shop for grocery store or any store and they're having a BOGO- buy one get one free. You and your friend can buy the same items together and it will save you and your friend money.

I always believe in having a storage for emergency stuff like water, first aid kit, etc. That probably is because I had to deal with natural disasters (fire and earthquakes) in California. I live in Texas now, and I still keep stocks in case we deal with blackout and flood. I don't miss fire season there. Bleh.

Back