Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloggy said:
Lotte is using BTE's. So she's actually hearing from the shoulders. The only thing that fall of now and then are the spools.
My guess is that you are thinking of the processor on the body.

With Lotte, that would have been too much (bi.lateral CI = 2 processors) so therefore we mainly use the BTE's. Hardly any weight. Batteries are more expensive but in Norway these are provided for free.
The BTE is too thick for her ears. That's why they are on the shoulder.

But I'll keep the bra in mind. Good solution .
when Lotte does get a little older and is able to wear them behind her ears, there is toupe tape that keeps them from falling off her ears. It's a little strip of 2 sided tape.

kayla123 said:
when Lotte does get a little older and is able to wear them behind her ears, there is toupe tape that keeps them from falling off her ears. It's a little strip of 2 sided tape.
Tried that.She doesn't like it. And the skin gets irritated.
But on the shoulders works really well. Even underneath clothing she hears fine.
In the kindergarted she's a lot outside. This way she can just play. With the BTE behind the ear - even taped - she would stand a bigger chance losing one of them.

In addition, with her "ears" at shoulderwith instead of head-with.... her sense of direction is better.... :)

kayla123 said:
When my daughter was wearing her body worn proccessor, I bought the smallest sport bras i could find in the girls section(she was only 3 at the time) and sewed a pocket on to it, just big enough to fit the proccessor with a piece of material and then sewed snaps on to it. It worked great, it never fell out no matter how active she was. :)

Aww how cute, glad to hear you're able to find something to hold the proccessor....

Since you said that it never fell out no matter how activity she is, why don't you pass along this suggestion to a sport company that may be interesting hearing what you did for your daughter, maybe they will make one of these for younger CI children who are quite active...

:dunno:

kayla123 said:
When my daughter was wearing her body worn proccessor, I bought the smallest sport bras i could find in the girls section(she was only 3 at the time) and sewed a pocket on to it, just big enough to fit the proccessor with a piece of material and then sewed snaps on to it. It worked great, it never fell out no matter how active she was. :)

LOL! That is gorgeous - did you fold the cups together to do this? Welcome to the forum by the way. Great to have another parent of a deaf child here.

kayla123 said:

:) What a brilliant idea! Way better than the "harness" that the CI makers provide, which is uncomfortable and not very effective, especially for kids!

Britt

R2D2 said:
LOL! That is gorgeous - did you fold the cups together to do this? Welcome to the forum by the way. Great to have another parent of a deaf child here.
Thank you for the welcome, i just registered at this site a few days ago. The sport bras in the little girls sections don't have cups, i just stitched a pocket on the back and took in the sides a little bit.

i've been seeing references to BTEs -- mind enlighting me please? ty in advance

cloggy -- from your reference to Lotte's signing to her mom when her mom didn't understand her voicing -- amazing! God obviously sent Lotte to the best set of parents -- He knows you two will make all the right decisions for that little girl!

:applause:

kayla123 said:

hahaha! you are creative!

I think my son will wear the body worn processor on top of his shoulder. I don't know how well the microphone would gather sounds through clothing if we put it underneath his shirt?

Well, thats another question we'll ask next time we meet with his teachers.

greema said:
i've been seeing references to BTEs -- mind enlighting me please? ty in advance

cloggy -- from your reference to Lotte's signing to her mom when her mom didn't understand her voicing -- amazing! God obviously sent Lotte to the best set of parents -- He knows you two will make all the right decisions for that little girl!

:applause:
Actually, I believe she's a very old spirit, allowed to come back one more time to this world. She picked us, we're honoured. :)

But regarding the signing (the sign used is "cake") she didn't use her voice at that time. She just started using CI. But you're right; when we don't understand each other we add sign. Then when she understands, we say it again.

Cloggy

From Left to right: Lotte, her sister and a friend.... COMMUNICATING, HAVING FUN

Lotte communicating 1.jpg

Lotte communicating 2.jpg

Reading to Lotte

With the subject of reading being so important brought up, I thought of posting some pictures of Lotte and her big brother. (9 years)

She doesn't even realise how lucky she is with her brother and sister.

Voorlezen%20Lotte%201.JPG

Voorlezen%20Lotte%202.JPG

That is just so SWEET to see them reading together!!!

Lovely! She looks very much involved with both the reading and with connecting to her brother.

Those two are tight. All three of them, but Lotte and her brother have a special bond.
When she's angry, annoyed, upset, or just doesn't want to calm down, he will not be able to watch it and will comfort her...
And it will work. He's got so much patience that he'll be able to get her out of any dip.
Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often....

You should see them kissing each other (the 3 of them) good night. It's part of the ritual for going to bed.
Lotte will give the other two a kiss, then me and then her mother will go in with her and the'll sing a couple of songs.
The same songs that a year ago we would do with sign only!.....
It all goes so fast!!

Cloggy said:
We had a great experience this morning with Lotte.

Sitting at breakfast, I ticked on a bottle with water, making a nice sound. Started a game with her where she would say "yes" when she heared it. At 2m distance (6-7 feet) she could hear just the touch of my nail on the bottle. My mother-in-law who wears hearing-aids (sitting atg 3ft) could not hear it.
Was great fun and showed how well she could hear.

Same with whispering.
When we wisper to her, she'll wisper back. It's beautiful to see that response and it took a while before we realised that "whispering" is not a deaf activity.

We are learning every day.

you need to spell words right in english.. wisper should be whisper... hear (past tense) should be heard not heared..

Thanks...
SxyPorkie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back