Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloggy said:
In short...
She was using the tricycle in the hospital after about 4 hours. Much to our despair, trying to hold her back - to no effect.
The only painkiller she got was 1 asprine. And this after getting 2 implants in one go.

SHe was annoyed by the fluids that she got (via the foot) and a bit groggy for the first 2-3 hours. But when the "infuus" (don't know the english word) got removed, she was up and going.

That is great that she felt so good!

Thanks!

You mean a little bag? Is the bag enclosed?
OT, but maybe you could use a fancy cellphone holder to carry the body worn CI around in. I have one that's fur covered with a little opening for the annena....it looks really cool!
2kids1hoh, the CI surgery is very basic "day" surgery. It's more like having the appendix removed, rather then heart surgery.

sr171soars said:
It is Intravenous therapy or IV for short. It is the bag of fluid that drips into a person's body typically via a needle into the arm but can be elsewhere as in your daughter. At least, I hope that is what you are talking about...
Of course it is... stupid how one can forget the word. I was at a complete blank!! :whistle:

Just wanted to say what a beauitful child you have.... Hope everything works out for her in the furture..... God bless you :angel:

Cloggy said:
You have to remember that with speech she lacks 2 years. But she asks in sign and starts now with speech.
A couple of weeks ago she started using "I" and "You" consistently.
With the 2-year gap it's good to have some expert information on how she's doing.

For instance. She understands a question.
To me that sounded weired, but deaf people "see" the question based on facial expression. Hearing people don't need to use that anmd rely on intonation. Appearently, some people that have been deaf for a long time have problems interpreting the intonation when there's no facial expression.

I see your daughter still behind in those area even with CI. I don't mean to sound of being put u down but she still being left out unless u tell me otherwise she did not. For instance, was she able to get involve in family table conversative? Many of us don't get that privilage unless we threw tantrum and tell us what u guys talk about. My hearing kids were so chatter box at that age and bugged me with all those kind of questions. I realized I did not do those till I learn ASL at 9 years. Too late for me but hopefully not for your daughter. It does not happen with deaf kids with deaf parents, big difference between deaf kids with hearing parents and deaf kids with deaf parents. many of us did not get to have a freedom of communicate so I hope u don't stop that with ur daughter even thou she has CI, still not 100 percent for her.

Yes we depend on our eyes to read people's face expression. I was smiling now and looked back how easily I misread my mother's face when I was without a language. I was raised orally then something bad happened to me then asl come in afterward.

jazzy said:
I see your daughter still behind in those area even with CI. I don't mean to sound of being put u down but she still being left out unless u tell me otherwise she did not. For instance, was she able to get involve in family table conversative? Many of us don't get that privilage unless we threw tantrum and tell us what u guys talk about. My hearing kids were so chatter box at that age and bugged me with all those kind of questions. I realized I did not do those till I learn ASL at 9 years. Too late for me but hopefully not for your daughter. It does not happen with deaf kids with deaf parents, big difference between deaf kids with hearing parents and deaf kids with deaf parents. many of us did not get to have a freedom of communicate so I hope u don't stop that with ur daughter even thou she has CI, still not 100 percent for her.

Yes we depend on our eyes to read people's face expression. I was smiling now and looked back how easily I misread my mother's face when I was without a language. I was raised orally then something bad happened to me then asl come in afterward.
Thanks for your question.

She is behind. That's one of the reasons that CI is done as early as possible, to reduce the gap. But her learning curve is as steep as that of a hearing child... just lacking 2 years.

We notice that when we see other 3½ - 4 year old children. They chatter away with long sentenses. Lotte will have 3 to 5 word sentenses. Like a 2-year old.

For Lotte, she participates with the family table conversative as well. When the 2 elder children tell a story at the table, she also starts chattering. Complete stories where we can pick us some words, but not the context. My eldest daughter also did that when she was 2-3 years old, so we recognise it.
But she is participating, or at least claiming her part of the conversation.
It's really good to see her have that confidence.

deafdyke said:
OT, but maybe you could use a fancy cellphone holder to carry the body worn CI around in. I have one that's fur covered with a little opening for the annena....it looks really cool!
2kids1hoh, the CI surgery is very basic "day" surgery. It's more like having the appendix removed, rather then heart surgery.

Yeah but people might think I was a hearing person! (tongue in cheek there)

Good idea though - some of those cellphone holders look pretty good and I think some of them are leather and splash resistent? It might also enable me to press buttons without taking the whole thing out of the holder.

Right now I actually wear my cellphone (for texting) around my neck so that I can feel it vibrate when it goes off. Also because it used to be in my bag which I didn't always zip up correctly (so many zips on my bag!) I would sometimes drop it in the store and not hear the thud of it dropping behind me. Hopefully with a CI I can put it away into my bag and hear it when it sounds off and that will leave my body free for the bodyworn.

Sorry for babbling on - I am sure no one is really that interested in the detail :zzz:

Cloggy said:
Thanks for your question.

She is behind. That's one of the reasons that CI is done as early as possible, to reduce the gap. But her learning curve is as steep as that of a hearing child... just lacking 2 years.

We notice that when we see other 3½ - 4 year old children. They chatter away with long sentenses. Lotte will have 3 to 5 word sentenses. Like a 2-year old.

For Lotte, she participates with the family table conversative as well. When the 2 elder children tell a story at the table, she also starts chattering. Complete stories where we can pick us some words, but not the context. My eldest daughter also did that when she was 2-3 years old, so we recognise it.
But she is participating, or at least claiming her part of the conversation.
It's really good to see her have that confidence.

I have a hearing 3.5 year old and she chatters in long sentences. However it wasn't that long ago when she was speaking in 3-5 word sentences. I noticed with her that her language exploded within a short space of time. It was almost as if she had listened to everything and absorbed it first before she put it into practice. From what I know of child development the brain develops in spurts?

R2D2 said:
I have a hearing 3.5 year old and she chatters in long sentences. However it wasn't that long ago when she was speaking in 3-5 word sentences. I noticed with her that her language exploded within a short space of time. It was almost as if she had listened to everything and absorbed it first before she put it into practice. From what I know of child development the brain develops in spurts?
We also see the jumps in development. Often after a visit in Holland.
Living in Norway, she will be surrounded by dutch, norwegian and sign.
When we are visiting in Holland, she's exposed to Dutch only and that does help her development. (So, when experts say that you must use speech - they do have a point - as long as communication is good.)

2006-05-09

A beautiful day out here. 26 degrees (centigrade) so it's like summer.
Lotte wearing her dress, looking cute, playing in the garde.
She was sitting on the slide, me taking pictures, and I say to her, without sign, "Hi Lotte, Wave" and guess what... she waved..
These are the "tests" we sometimes do just to see how much she understands. I wasn't sure if she would, because I was 5m (15ft) away, with the sun in my back. But she understood.

IMG_10000.JPG
IMG_10004.JPG

Another example from a couple of days ago.
She sat in the car with my wife, straight behind her chair. Lotte was going through the numbers, one to nine. At eight she said "eigh", and my wife (in the car, motor on, no visual clues) said eigh-T pronouncing the T at the end. Lotte repeated that straight after it...

So great to get these beautiful moments.

Wow. That would make my knees weak and break me down. I'm happy for your family! Lotte will do just fine in the future.

Fragmenter said:
Wow. That would make my knees weak and break me down. I'm happy for your family! Lotte will do just fine in the future.
:) Due to her my knees are shattered :)

awww cuteee pictures...

I can tell something from this picture that your daughter is a joy child.

What a job child you have. :) In your country, do they speak and written in English?

jazzy said:
What a job child you have. :) In your country, do they speak and written in English?
"Job child?"
We live in Norway, so all 3 children are exposed to Norwegian.
Lotte, being deaf also uses sign. (The other two know a bit, and the middle one is on a childrens-course)
At home we speak dutch. English reading and writing is second nature for us adults. The children started at school with it.

Regarding Lotte, she actuallt refused to do an exercises with my wife in Norwegian. She insisted on Dutch. The same with people that she's used to sign to. She won't speak. And then there are others she uses Norwegian for.
So, with her CI she's very well capable to differenciate between the three languages. (English will have to wait for her..)

She is such a beautiful girl and looks so happy! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Neecy. Wanted to ask you,

You said you heared a woosh when the CI falls off.
How is that with other things..

Like: Do you get interference from mobile phones like when one is lying next to the computer, the computer will pick it up.

Also, putting it on in the morning. Do you start at a lower level and then turn the "volume" up.
Lotte has no problem starting off at the level she uses during the day. Just wonder how that is for her. I read that for some people the first sound in the morning is sharp, might hurt.

Just want to get a view in her experience, even though I know it is defferent for each person.

Cloggy

Awww she is goooorgeous! Especially in the cute dress.

Thanks for sharing!

Cloggy said:
Neecy. Wanted to ask you,

You said you heared a woosh when the CI falls off.
How is that with other things..

Its more like a whine - its the complete *absence* of sound -like severe tinitus that lasts about 30 seconds. I think its the auditory nerve getting used to going from a state of high stimulation to nothing.

Like: Do you get interference from mobile phones like when one is lying next to the computer, the computer will pick it up.

nope no interference whatsoever

Also, putting it on in the morning. Do you start at a lower level and then turn the "volume" up. Lotte has no problem starting off at the level she uses during the day. Just wonder how that is for her. I read that for some people the first sound in the morning is sharp, might hurt.

Nope I turn it on at the normal level (I keep it at around 11). It takes me a minute or two to adjust (again - the auditory nerve going from nothing to full stimulation takes a moment to adapt). But everybody is different - there might be some who are sensitive to sound initially and have to start with it at a quieter setting. I've had no problems.

Just want to get a view in her experience, even though I know it is defferent for each person.

I'm glad! I love hearing about her experiences as well! I'm always willing to answer questions - that goes for you or anybody else here :)

whoosh or whine, well stand in the room where your tv is with sound on. blow a whistle to yourself then suddenly stop, notice it is quiet for a second the sound start hitting your ear eh. Does that help make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back