Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheri said:
Ahh I see it, It's under the skin, So you'll feel a bump? You didn't answered the rest of my question yet about sleeping situation. :giggle:
Neecy allready answered that. My daughter also has no problems. HAve a look here, the last thumbnail, where it's 1 day after the operation, sleeping in the hospital. (Clicking the thumbnail pops up the wrong picture. I'll correct that.)

^Angel^ said:
Please don't get me wrong here but when I look at her scar, and seeing how little she is, it just breaks my heart even I know she won't realized it there :(
I don't know what to say to that. I can appreciate your feelings.

neecy said:
Cloggy - I hope you don't mind me having added pictures of my CI - didn't mean to hijack your thread - I just hoped it would clarify exaclty what it "looks like" when the processor is attached. (and where).
Absolutely not. There's information about wearing CI that I cannot answer regarding my daughter, but you can. Feel free to chip in.

Cloggy said:
Neecy allready answered that. My daughter also has no problems. HAve a look here, the last thumbnail, where it's 1 day after the operation, sleeping in the hospital. (Clicking the thumbnail pops up the wrong picture. I'll correct that.)

I rather to hear your point of view on your daughter that is why I asked you a question about her sleeping situation since your daughter is very young. Thanks for sharing the picture in private message, She is so cute.

Cheri said:
I rather to hear your point of view on your daughter that is why I asked you a question about her sleeping situation since your daughter is very young. Thanks for sharing the picture in private message, She is so cute.
Got the link to work. Did you look at the big picture?
To answer the question, she has never shown any discomfort. Sleeps on her side.

Cloggy, awww cuteee pictures of Lotte!

It´s very interesting to read your update posts about her. I find wonderful you and your wife did to her. It´s not what my parents did to me like you and your wife...

Lotte is very lucky to have wonderful parents like you and your wife.

I will be back when I have any questions... All what you answer all of members´questions here...

Liebling:-))) said:
Cloggy, awww cuteee pictures of Lotte!
Thanks for the compliment.....
Didn't I post them on DF?

Cloggy said:
Thanks for the compliment.....
Didn't I post them on DF?

Yes, I remember that you add family picture at Superforum there last year. I didn´t know you also add similar pictures there as well. For your information, I don´t go DF anymore.

Hello everyone,

I'm Cloggy's wife and Lottes mum. Cloggy said it was OK for me to chip in, problem is I usually don't take the time and sit down behind our PC other then checking my mail. I read some of your posts, and thought it would be nice to tell you a small anecdote from a couple of days ago (maybe Cloggy already told you, forgive me if so...).
Our two girls were playing upstairs, the oldest, Sanne, is hearing and 7 years old. From underneath the staircase I shouted: "Sanne, Lotte, dinner is ready!!!". Immediately I heard Lotte reply to her hearing sister: "Sanne, Sanne, come and eat!". Where we very often have to ask for a reply from the two hearing kids, we get it from Lotte spontaneously (wonder though how long that is going to last.....). Having called the other two kids "hearing", I must tell you that when Lotte is wearing her CI's, I do regard her as hearing too. Why, she has better hearing then my Mum!
Luckily, we can communicate through sign rather well, and we do believe that her learning sign at an early stage was an important "base" in order to learn the spoken language later on. For a long time we have used sign in addition to the spoken words, until we saw that Lotte herself started to use them less and less. Now we're at a stage where she will enthousiastically tell us something that obviously is important to her, she'll babble with no sign whatsoever, and we have no clue what she is talking about! Then we have to say, please use some sign so we know what you mean!!! To see her enjoying using her voice and communicating throug that voice, whether it is talking or singing, is a great gift.

Neecy,

Thanks for posting those photos and explaining about the bump. I just chose the colour of the external parts today, I'm going for black! I have black hair and just liked the appearance of it. Activation will be on 29th June.

Do you ever wear the bodyworn processor? I didn't think I would but my audie told me that you can use rechargeable triple A batteries in it which is an opportunity to save money for me (my insurance doesn't cover batteries). I ordered a harness that you can wear on your arm. I'm pretty active and like my walking exercise so I'll see how it works out.

R2D2 said:
Neecy,

Thanks for posting those photos and explaining about the bump. I just chose the colour of the external parts today, I'm going for black! I have black hair and just liked the appearance of it. Activation will be on 29th June.

Do you ever wear the bodyworn processor? I didn't think I would but my audie told me that you can use rechargeable triple A batteries in it which is an opportunity to save money for me (my insurance doesn't cover batteries). I ordered a harness that you can wear on your arm. I'm pretty active and like my walking exercise so I'll see how it works out.
In stead of a harnes, just make a little bad that you can pin on your clothes with a safetypin.
That's what we use for our dauhter when we use the bodyworn instead of the BTE's

You mean a little bag? Is the bag enclosed? Wouldn't it jump around a bit when doing some vigourous activity? Now there's an idea. I like to sew so maybe I could make a funky one? Is it possible by any chance that you could post a photo of Lotte's bodyworn bag so that I can get an idea of what it looks like?

I'll have to test it all out. It sounds like some people don't like wearing the bodyworn. I'm getting two cables of different lengths so that I can wear the shorter one if I want to without wires flapping everywhere.

The other thing is that if I buy batteries from the US I can get them half price compared to Australia. There are some companies that are happy to ship to Australia for quite a low postage cost $US 5.50.

R2D2 said:
You mean a little bag? Is the bag enclosed? Wouldn't it jump around a bit when doing some vigourous activity? Now there's an idea. I like to sew so maybe I could make a funky one? Is it possible by any chance that you could post a photo of Lotte's bodyworn bag so that I can get an idea of what it looks like?........
Jump around vigurously... How many times does that happen?
Here are some:
http://home.online.no/~cloggies/Lotte BTE/Lotte zakjes detail.jpg
http://home.online.no/~cloggies/Lotte BTE/Lotte zakjes detail 2.jpg
http://home.online.no/~cloggies/Lotte BTE/Lotte zakjes detail 3.jpg

Have a look. They attatch with a safety-pin. The flap is secured with ?felcrow? (Not sure what it is called in english)

GREAT pictures!!

(its called Velcro in English - you were very close!!)

Cloggy said:
Jump around vigurously... How many times does that happen?
Here are some:
http://home.online.no/~cloggies/Lotte BTE/Lotte zakjes detail.jpg
http://home.online.no/~cloggies/Lotte BTE/Lotte zakjes detail 2.jpg
http://home.online.no/~cloggies/Lotte BTE/Lotte zakjes detail 3.jpg

Have a look. They attatch with a safety-pin. The flap is secured with ?felcrow? (Not sure what it is called in english)

Thanks for that! It looks like it would be easy to make and the denim one particularly looks cool.

And yes it's velcro.

Cloggy said:
Our daughter was born in august 2002 and was found to be profound deaf in june 2003. She wore HA's - to no effect - until she had bi-lateral CI. These were activated in november 2004.

For the interested: here are some pictures of her, most from just after the operation and some 2 weeks after that , when the wound had healed.

I am curious how her recovery time was. Was there much pain afterwards?

Thanks

Mous said:
Hello everyone,

I'm Cloggy's wife and Lottes mum. Cloggy said it was OK for me to chip in, problem is I usually don't take the time and sit down behind our PC other then checking my mail. I read some of your posts, and thought it would be nice to tell you a small anecdote from a couple of days ago (maybe Cloggy already told you, forgive me if so...).
Our two girls were playing upstairs, the oldest, Sanne, is hearing and 7 years old. From underneath the staircase I shouted: "Sanne, Lotte, dinner is ready!!!". Immediately I heard Lotte reply to her hearing sister: "Sanne, Sanne, come and eat!". Where we very often have to ask for a reply from the two hearing kids, we get it from Lotte spontaneously (wonder though how long that is going to last.....). Having called the other two kids "hearing", I must tell you that when Lotte is wearing her CI's, I do regard her as hearing too. Why, she has better hearing then my Mum!
Luckily, we can communicate through sign rather well, and we do believe that her learning sign at an early stage was an important "base" in order to learn the spoken language later on. For a long time we have used sign in addition to the spoken words, until we saw that Lotte herself started to use them less and less. Now we're at a stage where she will enthousiastically tell us something that obviously is important to her, she'll babble with no sign whatsoever, and we have no clue what she is talking about! Then we have to say, please use some sign so we know what you mean!!! To see her enjoying using her voice and communicating throug that voice, whether it is talking or singing, is a great gift.

Welcome to AD, nice to meet you after read cloggy's posts in past and getting to know him.

Wonderful she is learning to hear thru CI and learning to communicate with her family.

I have one question to ask u about your daughter, has she started to asking u questions yet something alike; why? how come? what is that? etc... Hearing kids and deaf kids with ASL started to ask those question around at age 3.

2kids1hoh said:
Cloggy said:
Our daughter was born in august 2002 and was found to be profound deaf in june 2003. She wore HA's - to no effect - until she had bi-lateral CI. These were activated in november 2004.

For the interested: here are some pictures of her, most from just after the operation and some 2 weeks after that , when the wound had healed.

I am curious how her recovery time was. Was there much pain afterwards?

Thanks
In short...
She was using the tricycle in the hospital after about 4 hours. Much to our despair, trying to hold her back - to no effect.
The only painkiller she got was 1 asprine. And this after getting 2 implants in one go.

SHe was annoyed by the fluids that she got (via the foot) and a bit groggy for the first 2-3 hours. But when the "infuus" (don't know the english word) got removed, she was up and going.

jazzy said:
Welcome to AD, nice to meet you after read cloggy's posts in past and getting to know him.

Wonderful she is learning to hear thru CI and learning to communicate with her family.

I have one question to ask u about your daughter, has she started to asking u questions yet something alike; why? how come? what is that? etc... Hearing kids and deaf kids with ASL started to ask those question around at age 3.
You have to remember that with speech she lacks 2 years. But she asks in sign and starts now with speech.
A couple of weeks ago she started using "I" and "You" consistently.
With the 2-year gap it's good to have some expert information on how she's doing.

For instance. She understands a question.
To me that sounded weired, but deaf people "see" the question based on facial expression. Hearing people don't need to use that anmd rely on intonation. Appearently, some people that have been deaf for a long time have problems interpreting the intonation when there's no facial expression.

Cloggy said:
SHe was annoyed by the fluids that she got (via the foot) and a bit groggy for the first 2-3 hours. But when the "infuus" (don't know the english word) got removed, she was up and going.

It is Intravenous therapy or IV for short. It is the bag of fluid that drips into a person's body typically via a needle into the arm but can be elsewhere as in your daughter. At least, I hope that is what you are talking about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back