Exhaust system

MCB

Reaction score
Yesterday I went on a drive to an appointment. I asked a passenger if my elderly Buick LeSabre sounded different. She said she didn't think so. I discounted it to my hearing loss, but a few minutes later the car began to roar. My PTSD kicked in, I panicked, and pulled her over. I jumped out to take a look, and nearly got killed by a semi going past.

I looked underneath, and didn't see anything unusual. I opened the hood, and put some oil in. I got back in, and started going down the road, as I didn't want to miss the appointment. Going at 45 in the country, I called my mechanic and gave him a listen. He diagnosed an exhaust system problem, and said it would be safe to go on to the appointment (in the country), but stay out of towns, and drop her off when I returned home.

I turned off my HA's, and went on as instructed. On the return trip, I got out my MP3, as anxiety was still high, and cranked up the music to cover the sound. (I also have some problems with high blood pressure, myself. :giggle:)

Dropped her off, and the charge was $20 for welding on a patch on the pipe. :ty: He told me that she was quite noisy!! She rides quiet now.

I just had to blog this somewhere. Any reflections from the mechanics out there?

It would be interesting if someone were to do audios of various car problems, so that people with various problems hearing or perceiving could get a better handle on whether the car is safe to drive with an unusual sound.

Your PTSD may need to be checked too. You almost got killed by 18 wheelers over leaky muffler noise? Leaky muffler noise is NOT a safety hazard, just a nuisance that is all.

Remember, it is only a car, doing anything abruptly in middle of highway is just plain stupid and you CAN be legally responsible if pile up accident were caused and investigators find nothing wrong with your car.

I know. I recently had a change in medication. I probably need to carry some of my leftover heavier duty stuff in case of emergencies. :shock: I did pull over, but not far enough. And should have called the mechanic immediately, before pulling over.

Bad idea, don't call while drive you can pull over safely and slowly. Make sure no one is behind you before pulling over. The only concern is, brake, make sure it is working regardless of noise, wheel, make sure all nuts are intact and not loose, check steering wheel, have it drive erratically? Like not able to drive straight, but pull randomly either sides, or unable to hold steering wheel, then you can start worry. Check to see if MIL (Check engine light) comes on, then move over Slowly and safely. Remember, it is only a car and yes you need to have your PTSD checked. I personally had bad experience with ex that got PTSD and I will never understand it.

I know. I recently had a change in medication. I probably need to carry some of my leftover heavier duty stuff in case of emergencies. :shock: I did pull over, but not far enough. And should have called the mechanic immediately, before pulling over.

Thanks. All good suggestions to avoid such a situation in the future. I suspect he checked the oil to make sure it wasn't overfull, but will check to make sure. :lol:

OK. I now have some Seroquel in my purse for emergencies. AHA! Something somewhere else on the internet set me up for the over-reaction to a minor crisis.

And paying attention to other indicators is a good idea.

Last edited:
Back