Excited!!!!

justagirl

Reaction score
Today is the day and I have been up since 3:30 am due to anticipation. Today we go and tour the Phoenix Day School for the Deaf. I can't wait to see my little guys reaction to children just like him. As I've said before hearies freak him out. And he has never played with another hearing child before because they can't understand each other and it unnerves him. So I am excited to see what he will think when he sees other children playing together while signing. I know that he class group will focus on oral development but they still teach ASL on a day to day basis.

I feel like I am going on vacation somewhere...I am that excited! :) I just had to share.

I feel like skipping...LOL :fruit: I think my son and I will take a romp in the yard before we leave today. :)

The appt went great! We were there for awhile, my husband and I had so many questions. The showed up the preschool room and we talked to the teacher and our son was soooooo shy at first he hid behind my legs and then begged me to pick him up. The teacher talked to him (signed and verbalized) and once he noticed she was signing he smiled at her. Then she lead him over to the group of kids and they said hi to him. Then he got super shy again...he watch them play and noticed the kids were signing and a little girl came over to invite him to play...and he did!!!! He made a little friend! I seriously broke down and cried, I am not even kidding. My son hasn't had a friend...and yesterday he made one. I think I am going to cry all over again.

And they have their on audiologist and do schedule testing with the children. Isn't that just amazing and then we got even better news. There is a branch much closer to us that we didn't even know about! We are just so excited for him. It was a great day.

And in case your wondering, we romped in the yard. :fruit:

Sweet, that is what I like to see any deaf school that needs to stay open and allow any other small kids with hearing losses to be who they are, be themselve.

The appt went great!
We are just so excited for him. It was a great day.

So wonderful! I felt that way when my daughter, who was 1YO at the time, first started at her school for the deaf -- until she turned 3YO, it was only 3X a week, but still, it was definitely romp-worthy! Congratulations for taking that step and finding such a welcoming place. Establishing and documenting your child as primarily an ASL user/learner is a key step towards later placement in an ASL academic environment.

Today is the day and I have been up since 3:30 am due to anticipation. Today we go and tour the Phoenix Day School for the Deaf. I can't wait to see my little guys reaction to children just like him. As I've said before hearies freak him out. And he has never played with another hearing child before because they can't understand each other and it unnerves him. So I am excited to see what he will think when he sees other children playing together while signing. I know that he class group will focus on oral development but they still teach ASL on a day to day basis.

I feel like I am going on vacation somewhere...I am that excited! :) I just had to share.

I feel like skipping...LOL :fruit: I think my son and I will take a romp in the yard before we leave today. :)

Haha. Glad you're excited, but come on, you were going to be up at 3:30 anyway!!!:laugh2:

The appt went great! We were there for awhile, my husband and I had so many questions. The showed up the preschool room and we talked to the teacher and our son was soooooo shy at first he hid behind my legs and then begged me to pick him up. The teacher talked to him (signed and verbalized) and once he noticed she was signing he smiled at her. Then she lead him over to the group of kids and they said hi to him. Then he got super shy again...he watch them play and noticed the kids were signing and a little girl came over to invite him to play...and he did!!!! He made a little friend! I seriously broke down and cried, I am not even kidding. My son hasn't had a friend...and yesterday he made one. I think I am going to cry all over again.

And they have their on audiologist and do schedule testing with the children. Isn't that just amazing and then we got even better news. There is a branch much closer to us that we didn't even know about! We are just so excited for him. It was a great day.

While reading that I wanted to cry. But I have no tears left because of all my own painful experiences. I am so happy for your little guy. God Bless you and your family.

Back