European woman in America

authentic

Reaction score
Here's the story in New York City, this deaf German lady who is married to deaf American guy, and they both lived together for 7 months. American guy is abusing her occasionally. She do not have Green Card, or US Citizen. What actions should she take? She do not want to return to Germany because she love NYC so much and want to stay, and she do not want to live in women shelter (thats what I suggested her) because she would rather to stay with friends but she can be expelled back to her own country if she stay at friend's place.

Here's the story in New York City, this deaf German lady who is married to deaf American guy, and they both lived together for 7 months. American guy is abusing her occasionally. She do not have Green Card, or US Citizen. What actions should she take? She do not want to return to Germany because she love NYC so much and want to stay, and she do not want to live in women shelter (thats what I suggested her) because she would rather to stay with friends but she can be expelled back to her own country if she stay at friend's place.

If she is married to an American how would she be expelled?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

If she is married to an American how would she be expelled?

She do not have green card and she is not US Citizen. Her American husband can inform INS to halt the green card process.

Story of abuse legit or made up?

I have seen a lot of guys burned this way ... just saying. Maybe she was just using him so she could stay and just doesn't like him ... "he is abusing me" is a "get out of relationship free" card.

There are no freebies in life. She either goes to a women's shelter, or goes back home to Germany, or stays in the relationship. You gave her the only viable options - steer clear.

Story of abuse legit or made up?

I have seen a lot of guys burned this way ... just saying.

Legit, she sent me photos of bruises makes me want to help. He kept threatening her about expelling her back to Germany.

Legit, she sent me photos of bruises makes me want to help. He kept threatening her about expelling her back to Germany.

Then she needs a safe house, quick. The abuse can lead to her death. Those guys don't have boundaries.

Then she needs a safe house, quick. The abuse can lead to her death. Those guys don't have boundaries.
Agree with safe house.

I would add, she needs to contact a lawyer specializing in immigration matters.

On another note, you might want to be careful what kind of help you do give to this person. Re - it could be a crime if she is here illegally and it could implicate you.

Just be careful.

She do not have green card and she is not US Citizen. Her American husband can inform INS to halt the green card process.

A safe house does see like the best answer for a friend's house is not as safe and an expected place to be...
A lawyer would also be a good idea if she can... It does not seem right that just because she moves out of his house that he should be able to stop the green card as long as they are still married... A lawyer may be able to work something out for her while but her being safe is a priority...

Something I found...

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/question-abusive-husband-threatens-stop-sponsoring-28093.html

is must feel like quite a trap -- stay with your husband and be abused, or leave him and be deported and separated from your children. Luckily, the folks in Congress have provided an escape from this trap.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows battered women (or men) who are married to U.S. citizens and permanent residents to use a special "self-petition" to apply for their green card.

That means you won't have to depend on your abusive husband for anything -- not the initial petition, not the signatures, not the promises of financial support, and not even his showing up at the interview. And, you can make use of this law and convert your application to a "self-petition" at any point in the process.

^^^ great find, I just provided her your information and added this info:

For information and referrals, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline, available 24 hours a day, at 1-800-799-SAFE. They also have a website, at www.ndvh.org.
But just in case you have to flee your home in a hurry, think now about any personal documents or evidence you could take with you for your self-petition. Better yet, collect things now and leave them with a friend. For example, your passport and any immigration documents; photos of you with your husband, or of you with bruises and other signs of abuse; your journal, calendar, or other record of how your husband mistreated you and when; even threatening notes or answering machine tapes by your husband will all be very useful later. Ultimately you'll have to gather additional evidence, such as police reports and hospital records. Good luck.

I am wondering just how old that information is since they are saying to hold on to answering machine tapes.

I am wondering just how old that information is since they are saying to hold on to answering machine tapes.

I told her that she can use iPhone to record a video of husband abuse and report to police.

^^^ great find, I just provided her your information and added this info:

... I was worried you did not click the link and have gone back and forth on adding the information... I hope it helps her.

It was not until 2012 when the immigrant and same sex couples were added... So not that old... But it should still protect her...

I am quite familiar after researching about marrying a foreigner. Now, she does not have green card and not a US Citizen. Well, first of all, both of them, no offense, violated US Laws for bringing her here illegally without any cards. If he should have done was to apply Fiancée Visa, the process for that is when the US government approves, she would fly over and marry her groom who would be also her sponsor in the US. But this also means she would receive the green card. But if they married in Germany and brought her in the US, that is a violation also because he failed to apply for her immigration (family) visa. Not a fiancee visa. Two separate kind of visa.

But the abuses he has caused is superior case of abuse he has done and she has to say that she was lured to come to America illegally because her husband brought her to America. In another word, he said it is okay she can come over. Was there a fake passport? How he got her here? Anyway, that is for the US Homeland Security officials to question. But because of the abuse, she can request for political asylum due to abuse and illegal bringing her to the US. Then she can stay in the United States. She needs to get an immigrant lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Contact me privately if you have more questions. OK? My friends married gorgeous Filipinas and I learned alot from them and my own research ok? I am not a lawyer but a concerned friend ok? Right now with President Trump is making tougher for illegals to come here. So, act fast. Thank you for listening.

I am quite familiar after researching about marrying a foreigner. Now, she does not have green card and not a US Citizen. Well, first of all, both of them, no offense, violated US Laws for bringing her here illegally without any cards. If he should have done was to apply Fiancée Visa, the process for that is when the US government approves, she would fly over and marry her groom who would be also her sponsor in the US. But this also means she would receive the green card. But if they married in Germany and brought her in the US, that is a violation also because he failed to apply for her immigration (family) visa. Not a fiancee visa. Two separate kind of visa.

But the abuses he has caused is superior case of abuse he has done and she has to say that she was lured to come to America illegally because her husband brought her to America. In another word, he said it is okay she can come over. Was there a fake passport? How he got her here? Anyway, that is for the US Homeland Security officials to question. But because of the abuse, she can request for political asylum due to abuse and illegal bringing her to the US. Then she can stay in the United States. She needs to get an immigrant lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Contact me privately if you have more questions. OK? My friends married gorgeous Filipinas and I learned alot from them and my own research ok? I am not a lawyer but a concerned friend ok? Right now with President Trump is making tougher for illegals to come here. So, act fast. Thank you for listening.
The OP's question is over 1 ½ years old, so I guess it's already been resolved, one way or another.

Back