Europe

Liza said:
Sure, no problem! :thumb: My parents in law went to Tenerife and they loved it. I saw photos - looks like there are gardens, tropical and lushful places, and a cute little parrot was on my dad in law's shoulder. This year, husband and I just want to do something simple - like laying on the beach and going to the local places in the city and in the country. It'll be a relaxing week for us. I'll let you know how it goes!

keep the post with your new.... :ily:

gnarlydorkette said:
hmph i am not sure if this trend has died out but if you want to backpack thruout Europe, have you thoguth about Interrail? You pay for a ticket and the train will stop in many european countries and you sightsee for a full day or couple of days then back ont he train and go to the next country! Usually interrail is two weeks or less (never have been on it but have been told to go on it someday when I have the money) the down side to it, if you cannot afford a first-class, be prepare to sleep on the hard floor on the train :-X

(now to answer the first post's question)
I have been to England, Finland, Sweden, (touchdown in Denmark airport, but i guess it doesn't count, lol) hmmph... yeah, that is all i guess. I would love to go to Spain (I know the language!) and Italy. Turkey too but someday when the all ... military actions simmer down.

My fantasy vacation would be going to Transylvia! YEAH AND VISIT THAT COUNT DRACULA'S PLACE! oooooooo I love those dark-history countries such as Turkey and its Istanbual and so on. ;) I dont really want to go to france, switzerland, greece etc wtih those glorifying history (blah). I am a dark person ;)

How can I find information on Interrail? I'm gonna go around europe but I'd like to know how to get cheap train ticket. I've loved the dark medevil history of all europe too! I'm sure you went to Spain where the famous church contains human bones as decoration! :lol:

Liebling:-))) said:
keep the post with your new.... :ily:

*hugs* Liebling - the news is that we decided to not go on the spanish trip this year, because we are buying a house. I know... there's always next year. Thanks for the thought!!

EU Rail

sorry to pull this old thread out of the silly bag...

My summer has finally confirmed with a trip to Finland... I am SO thrilled. This week my mother wants to give HOTWIRE a try to see if they could meet her price. (she is hooked on HOTWIRE lately)...

And the best part-- my husband is coming with me! My mom wants to pay for all of our tickets so it will be nifty for him to see what Finland is all about.
He only had been out of America once for Australia when he participated in World High School Bands to break a Guiness record but the concert was rained out and only several high school bands showed up.

I suggested to my husband that we could take a week off to travel Europe by rail... he peaked and jumped for it. He knew a friend who have been traveled Europe for 5 months... which is too LONG compared to our plan--we planned on travelling in Europe for a minimum of five days to maximum of 8 days...
Not enough to absorb Europe, I know but we are planned to stay in Finland for two weeks to catch up with my family, then one week to ourselves in Europe... I told my husband that we can always return to Europe to ABSORB when we DO have time and money. Right now, we are only concerned to TOUCH the city and say, "WE HAVE BEEN HERE!" then zoom to another city in another country. "STAMP MY PASSPORT!"
;-)

Kuijfe, you said quite a while ago: "@ GnarlyDorkette, I do know that you have to buy EurailPass or Interrail passes in the USA. No way to buy it in Europe"
... Really? I did find the website (http://www.eurail.com or http://www.eurorail.com) and I could buy the tickets via online.. but is it impossible to buy tickets online, say in Finland, even though the rails are through those European countries?? I do find it odd because I do know two friends who are NOT American and did travel on EU Rail.

C and I are thinking about travelling to France, Germany, Netherlands and... whatever in between (I think I left out Belgium and Lux)... We are thinking about EuroSelect Pass something where you can travel up to five neighboring countries.

[EDITED: The cost of the CHEAP youth Rail pass for second-class for three neighbor countries is appx 250... if you want to travel in five countries it is like 280, nearly 300. And you can travel up to 10 days, I think. There are varying rates for each countries, length of travel, your age, et cetera.]

We will fly out to Finland sometime around June 14 (give or take a day) and return to US on June 30 (again, give or take a day). So a good three-weeks worth of European vacation!

I WILL LIKE TO HEAR YOUR SUGGESTION REGARDING EU RAIL, WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTIES TO GO VIA EU RAIL, TRAVELER'S TIPS, ET CETERA.

m_eurail.gif

http://www.euro-rails.com/maps/eurailpass.jpg

Europe, Here We Come!!

(psst-- Something for you to know: EU Rail only go into EU countries.. which exclude the Eastern Europe who are not members of Europe Union so if one wants to travel to Greece, one has to travel via ship, because the countries between Greece and Italy are not members of EU so EU rail cannot go through those countries.)

My husband did suggest us to go to France and Italy for the art museums. I told him, "No-- I want to ENJOY Italy, not just to zoom in and out... Let's do Italy later." He agreed so that is why we decided on France-Germany rail path.

Our concern is-- HOW do we get ON the Europe's "mainland" from Finland? C doesn't want to fly in (I have no idea WHY)-- he wants to rail from Finland. SO it will cost us... we probably will arrive in Denmark and resume our EU rail through Holland, Germany, Lux, Belgium then Paris, FRANCE! Maybe we can fly out from Paris.. who knows? Hmm hmm.

Or just Denmark, Germany then France to save money. Eh.

How old map is, gnarlydorkette?

Because Czech. Republic is member of Europe Union last May 2004.

gnarlydorkette said:
Really??? I got it from the website (www.EUrail.com) so I dont know how often they update their website.

Sorry to confuse you in my previous post.

It's only "preparation" since May 2004. It's also Turkey, too since last January 2005.

We are sure that the Czech. Republic and Turkey's preparation will be end then become member of Union Euro in 2006.

gnarlydorkette said:
Our concern is-- HOW do we get ON the Europe's "mainland" from Finland? C doesn't want to fly in (I have no idea WHY)-- he wants to rail from Finland. SO it will cost us... we probably will arrive in Denmark and resume our EU rail through Holland, Germany, Lux, Belgium then Paris, FRANCE! Maybe we can fly out from Paris.. who knows? Hmm hmm.

Or just Denmark, Germany then France to save money. Eh.

I've been to Denmark 8 times. Copenhagen is worth a day or 2. Anyways, if you haven't gone yet, Take a ferry from Finland to Sweden. Then take rail from there. The rail goes through Denmark on the oresunds bridge, and from there to Europe over the Great Belt bridge.

Back