Employment Interview

Ducky
You seem to be quite up to date on what is out there. I have liked InnoCaption better than others I have tried like Hamilton and Sprint. Some did not seem to know of anything and I thought this would be helpful. I am also different than you in that I do not sign and grew up one sided with very good hearing in the working ear at that time. So I prefer to speak for myself and just need captions of what is said to me.

I would like to read more current reviews. Where did you find ones that can be read on a computer without signing up with yet another user name and password (I am not on Facebook & Twitter)?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.innocaption.ica&hl=en

Most of the bad reviews came when they suspended or just before that. There are some complaints though including the one I mentioned about the garbled text. I don't know if that depends on Wifi strength or what- maybe.

Still kind of shy away from that since my last experience with captioned voice conversation. Even my visual voice mail still isn't perfect lol.

That's right, it's just a ridiculous notion that you can get hired from tax breaks.
True.

Also, not every business or company gets the tax "break" because of all the restrictive requirements.

Even those that get the "breaks" don't get back enough to make a real difference in their bottom line.

It's highly over-rated.

Got a call from someone who got my resume. I called on TTY, introduced myself, said why I was calling and asked for person who left voicemail. Someone who gave their name answered saying person is not there and before I could ask when is the best time to call person--hung up. Found direct phone number of person who called and left message. Didn't get a call back.

Isn't it frustrating when you hit a wall and you just can't get over that wall of China? :mad2: :(

True.

Also, not every business or company gets the tax "break" because of all the restrictive requirements.

Even those that get the "breaks" don't get back enough to make a real difference in their bottom line.

It's highly over-rated.
Will that person that told me this was wrong and not me , a woman from an office for deaf and hoh told me that companies get a tax break for hiring with disabilities .
I was quoting what someone told me !

I know. It just funny because it doesn't seem to be getting better with the years of more awareness. It doesn't matter if you speak well and can read lip well. They tell you that you speak well too and can see you understand them, but it doesn't matter that you try to be as "hearing" as possible to make it easy for them. :cry: It just takes a special employer to give you a chance.

Thats why I want to do away with the oral only philosophy for good. It hasnt helped those who grew up without ASL much. Might as well grow up with both oral and ASL so that way everyone (deaf, hoh) wont have that issue of being stuck in both worlds and maybe get jobs working with other deaf people if hearing people refuse to hire them.

Will that person that told me this was wrong and not me , a woman from an office for deaf and hoh told me that companies get a tax break for hiring with disabilities .
I was quoting what someone told me !

I read this in an employment provider's pamphlet about getting a tax break if you hire someone with a disability. Also,that people with disabilities are likely to stay and not job hop. Things they use to convince an employer why they should hire someone with a disability.

Got a call from someone who got my resume. I called on TTY, introduced myself, said why I was calling and asked for person who left voicemail. Someone who gave their name answered saying person is not there and before I could ask when is the best time to call person--hung up. Found direct phone number of person who called and left message. Didn't get a call back.

Isn't it frustrating when you hit a wall and you just can't get over that wall of China? :mad2: :(

Very much so! Same is true for VRS. Partly why I don't want to really go back to CapTel or even try innocaption. I use VCO for both when leaving a message. Hard part comes when THEY have to leave a message and they are a bit surprised I think to get a interpreter or transcriber on the other end.

So...gotta keep climbing- feels more like Mount Everest than the Wall of China :lol:

I wonder just what the hearing person gets at any stage when you call with InnoCaption. Their web page talks about it being so much like what a hearing person gets when calling another hearing person. I have used it for calls and liked it but never really checked out what is going on for the hearing person involved in the call. I am fully retired so my use is different than yours. Since it is free for you to download, register and use could you do so and experiment with a hearing friend?

Very much so! Same is true for VRS. Partly why I don't want to really go back to CapTel or even try InnoCaption. I use VCO for both when leaving a message. Hard part comes when THEY have to leave a message and they are a bit surprised I think to get a interpreter or transcriber on the other end.

So...gotta keep climbing- feels more like Mount Everest than the Wall of China :lol:

I wonder just what the hearing person gets at any stage when you call with InnoCaption. Their web page talks about it being so much like what a hearing person gets when calling another hearing person. I have used it for calls and liked it but never really checked out what is going on for the hearing person involved in the call. I am fully retired so my use is different than yours. Since it is free for you to download, register and use could you do so and experiment with a hearing friend?

I checked on the googleplay store about innocaption as well as reading up... from what I understand.. if I sign up for this service I will wind up with yet ANOTHER phone number I don't need. I already have at least 4 (5 or 6 if you count the VRS platforms I don't use anymore) phone numbers... it looks BAD if I keep changing my phone number constantly when trying to find a job... not that's a bad thing since I dislike using the phone in any format anyway.

http://www.deaftalkllc.com/website/the-company/

I just found this link , I was trying to see how many companies are owned by deaf people

as an FYI-- I was just looking at this link... it's an interpreter agency (owned by a Deaf woman). I tried to see about applying in general as I didn't see a list for jobs other than interpreters...but the only application was for interpreters...

I checked on the googleplay store about innocaption as well as reading up... from what I understand.. if I sign up for this service I will wind up with yet ANOTHER phone number I don't need. I already have at least 4 (5 or 6 if you count the VRS platforms I don't use anymore) phone numbers... it looks BAD if I keep changing my phone number constantly when trying to find a job... not that's a bad thing since I dislike using the phone in any format anyway.

My thought was to really try it out with some hearing friends. Not to start using it for your job search immediately. Then, if you liked it well enough, quit using a bunch of the other numbers.

I would need a smartphone to try innocaption. I looked at the youtube video to see what it looks like. I guess you talk through a built-in microphone. I don't have one yet. Will need to have a large enough screen to read and doesn't cost 200 dollars or 50 dollars a month plan.

My thought was to really try it out with some hearing friends. Not to start using it for your job search immediately. Then, if you liked it well enough, quit using a bunch of the other numbers.
How about DD comes use yours and see if he likes it. Or better yet, give your number to recruiters and see how they like using it.

Why should DD get yet another phone # that he probably won't use. That only ties up a phone number that could be used by someone who would benefit from it.

i've been reading through this thread and want to jump-in to give my two-cents.

I think interviews can and will go well in-person with an interpreter present or via VRS. It allows the deaf person to sign and the interpreter will expound on the ASL to bring together the thoughts into smooth and seemless English. It is not only ultra-fast with the interpreter there to facilitate the communication, the interpreter also bridges the cultural gaps between the hearing and deaf cultures.

However, if the interpreter is on VRS and signs off at the end of the interview, the deaf candidate will be there in the room with the interviewer. This could be an opportunity to impress the interviewer, who will also be checking to see what it is like to interact with the deaf candidate when the interpreter isn't around (like small talk around the office, walking to-and-from meetings, etc.)

If the situation turns awkward, the alarm bells could go off in the interviewer's head, even though the interview went well with the interpreter there. Casting doubt how the other employees will communicate if there is no interpreter present.

I developed an iOS app called "App MyVoice" to help in situations like this. The deaf candidate could pull up the app at the end of the interview and use it to 'get through' the final 5 minutes after the interview concludes while walking out of the building with the interviewer and utilize the app for small talk. The app has tracks that can 'talk' for the deaf candidate and also convert voice-to-text to understand what the interviewer is saying. It can bridge the gap, when the interpreter is away.

Back