Employment Interview

Ditto to this, even when I list my # I add a "(text only)" so that way I'm clear that I cannot do voice calls. The problem is if you "act" like a hearing person they're gonna get really confused when they wonder, hey why aren't you replying to my phone message. And that might make them wonder if you're trustworthy if you're being sneaky about hiding your disability.

Like Alleycat says, there will always be an a$$hole employer that doesn't care if you can do your job and can't handle you being deaf. It's a mixed blessing if they don't want to hire you, you would be better off waiting out for someone who's nice enough to look past the disability.

I do the same thing if they ask for my cell number or if I use that one- add (text only). Maybe my downfall is is if they see my VRS number "naked"- as in no instructions then the cell with "text only" they will wonder what the heck... So right now I just fall back on the VRS (with VCO- my receptive ASL is better than my expressive ASL sadly) for everything.

I got lucky a few times- one did chat with me via text on skype- that was a rarity amazingly enough in this day of tech. Most people's 'reason' is (even as far back as 2006 when I preferred email...) "It's a fast moving position and we need to fill it now", "Time is of the essence!!" (my personal fave /sarcasm) and "speaking with you on the phone we get a better idea of you, how you react/act and thinking on your feet".
Half the time it is NOT time is of the essence...!

"Time is of the essence!!" (my personal fave /sarcasm) and "speaking with you on the phone we get a better idea of you, how you react/act and thinking on your feet".

Based on my limited experiences with job hunting I've noticed that almost every time they do a line like that it's 99% a scam. The scam involves offering a "guaranteed" job as long as you pay "recruiting fees" and they try to make it sound urgent so you won't be wise to them.

And I found out recently that a lot of the job postings they're "fishing" for candidates with skills that fit previously filled positions at companies so they can have a pool of potential candidates ready to contact when one of those jobs come up again. I hadn't even left my 6 month contract job before they started posting the exact same job description when they knew my contract was not going to be extended. How unsettling that is to see your job posted while you're looking for your next job.

Boy the more I read about things now how glad I am that my working years were where and when they were.

I started as a part time bookkeeper at the end of the summer after I graduated from high school in 1960. It was just a block away from the local community college and I was paid hourly so I could check out and go down an alley, attend a course or so and then go back to work. The job grew into full time and the office moved just far enough that it wasn't as convenient to take classes so I did not get an AA degree until about 35 years after I started.

It was a construction/real estate operation that shared office space with an insurance agency operated by my bosses father. Don had a real nack of picking people that could work together. People did really stay both from their family and we had some brother and father/son combinations that were employees. At one point the office manager and I realized of the regular employees (there were union construction workers that were hired on an as needed basis through the unions) the only ones that had NOT been there 20 years or more were the next generations that were not old enough to have been.

Personally I was there just over 33 years until I was put on a salary continuation plan was the operation changed. I worked around 4 generations of the owners family. From my bosses father who had the insurance agency that shared office space with the part I was with through to a grandson that did some mowing and that kind of thing.

It did not feel that unusual in this town at that time. For example a couple of my friends worked together for a different insurance agency for a similar length of time.

^^ I thought you had worked for your Dad's car dealership?

No my dad did not own a dealership. He worked at the same one for a lot of years, in the shop and then sales. I would sometimes go with him when a load of cars came in on a truck after hours and even helped read off VIN numbers to compare invoices to actual vehicles. That was another company here that had a crew that stayed together for a lot of years.

Yes, that's true but you mean you would nail the interview by telling them that they can get a tax break from hiring someone with a disability? lol I don't think I have nerves to mention that nor do I think it really helps. I think it's embarrassing to mention that. I hear there's also incentives to hire minorities. What a sad world we live in....

Use the number you have been assigned by one of the captioning services for your cell phone.

Here is the service who's app I like the best: http://www.innocaption.com/
They even offer VM which is captioned when you use them to retrieve it.

Do you not need an iphone to use an app? I don't have an iphone. I cannot afford monthly payments on a fancy phone.

This is another topic maybe...I am due to upgrade my cell phone. It has a querty keyboard when you open it. I pay as I go and don't spend time texting a lot. I would like one where I can use in a wifi location. I have no idea how people can afford iphone on a below average salary and women still do their nails. Anyone have a trick? I read one that you pay 45 dollars a month. That's a lot of money for me. It will be helpful to upgrade because it accepts limited characters, I cannot open my emails without paying and it's a crappy internet access if I pay. Too much work to go through it.

Yes, that's true but you mean you would nail the interview by telling them that they can get a tax break from hiring someone with a disability? lol I don't think I have nerves to mention that nor do I think it really helps. I think it's embarrassing to mention that. I hear there's also incentives to hire minorities. What a sad world we live in....
LOL! Yes that would be awkward to say but if the interviewer said they can't afford to get you special equipment it would something to bring up.

Do you not need an iphone to use an app? I don't have an iphone. I cannot afford monthly payments on a fancy phone.

This is another topic maybe...I am due to upgrade my cell phone. It has a querty keyboard when you open it. I pay as I go and don't spend time texting a lot. I would like one where I can use in a wifi location. I have no idea how people can afford iphone on a below average salary and women still do their nails. Anyone have a trick? I read one that you pay 45 dollars a month. That's a lot of money for me. It will be helpful to upgrade because it accepts limited characters, I cannot open my emails without paying and it's a crappy internet access if I pay. Too much work to go through it.

You DO NOT NEED AN iPhone. You do need a smartphone that runs Android 2.3 or newer. Although, what you will find in the way of things like boxed GoPhones at places like Family Dollar and Walmart will be later versions. I started using a GoPhone on a MVNO that uses AT&T towers several years ago. I am not sure of the exact new plans they are offering but I have been happy with the rate I am paying using Pure TalkUSA. They also have the advantage of CS based in Atlanta, Georgia.

Take the time to read the FAQs at the InnoCaptions web site and it will probably answer many of your questions. If you still have some feel free to come back and ask. Here is a link to that part of their site: http://www.innocaption.com/faqs-2/

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. And I suspect he's on her ignore list with a bunch of us.

I just had a job interview last week. I did not mention my disability just wore my HAs, it was a customer service position on the phone. I get along well with my Niada's (When some people say they are blind as a bat without their glasses). It sort of a similar situation with my HAs. I was lucky I made it through without any problems but it was in a quiet conference room.

I checked out the innocaptions on googleplay (after looking at f.lux and similar apps)... the one thing I dislike is the fact I have to get yet another number. I don't need another one! I have my cell, my ZVRS #, Sorenson # and Convo # (may convert that one to ZVRS Z70). I think I still have the Purple VRS # but deleted the program because I got tired of it loading all the time after start up of PC. Then I have my parents' numbers that apparently SOME recruiting companies still have from ten years ago....

Saw a few reviews that said that there are still issues with garbled and faulty captions... nooo thank you.

On the topic of mentioning 'tax breaks' to interviewers... not a bright idea IMHO...1st they would have no earthly clue what the hell you are talking about. 2nd it doesn't really have anything to do with the job that you are interviewing for and your skillset. If one desires to, it could be mentioned after getting hired... to the HR department or I think the EEOC department.

LOL! Yes that would be awkward to say but if the interviewer said they can't afford to get you special equipment it would something to bring up.

I don't even think any interviewers would know about accommodations and whether they could afford it unless it was a small business where the interviewer is also the boss and HR department. Even then I wouldn't bring it up.

Back