Effing hate my "deaf accent"!!!

tehy just noticed something different about my voice, Its like they say they cant tell but then tell me they know I have a deaf accent. To me... that is very confusing. I know it can make you feel like you are not on the same level as them, but whats the point of doing that when you can be yourself.

How do people react to your accents that don't know you? Do you use your voice all the time? I'm not sure I want to use my voice around strangers now. I don't want them to judge me.
You are putting too much thought into this deaf accent thing based on your latest posts. Nobody should judge you for being deaf, and if they do, walk away. Use your voice as you please, not for others. You are 20 years old and young, try to not let this worry you. I think you should talk to a therapist to help allay your fears. Not being critical here, as I understand you are going through an adjustment period, but expressing your feelings is a good start. Please read the late onset to deafness thread.

I agree.. don't put much stock in to it. Worse that can happen is... "Are you from Boston?" (In New York when I was transferring a client of mine to a new group home, one of the staff asked me that). "uh... no.. I've never BEEN to Boston... I'm from Pennsylvania!"
Another old internet penpal said he was once at a world soccer match in Chicago- he was asked if he was from Germany. He's from Kentucky. (for reference- hard of hearing and does not know sign- I wonder where he is these days... lost track).

Most- ok I- just laugh it off. And.. if the person does become cranky or obnoxious.. walk away. It bears repeating... Use your voice as you please, be you.

Honestly, I've come to like a Deaf accent. I've gotten to the point where I associate it with certain people. And I like those people. So the deaf accent has a more endearing quality to me. It's like the smell of my aunt's house. It's a mundane smell, but the smell of it always gives me good memories.

Honestly, I've come to like a Deaf accent. I've gotten to the point where I associate it with certain people. And I like those people. So the deaf accent has a more endearing quality to me. It's like the smell of my aunt's house. It's a mundane smell, but the smell of it always gives me good memories.

My odd association with a good memory is late acknowledgement of my birthday. I just got a card from a friend that mentioned being a bit late which once again reminded me of one of my aunts. She was one of the most generous relatives I ever had but never got my present to me by my birthday (it was just birthday that was a bit late; Christmas always arrived on time).

i sing too. people think i have a good singing voice....i can't hear my own voice or deaf accent. But I do have a thick deaf accent for those that have heard it. I try to talk as little as possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by deaf accent, but as my hearing loss is progressing, I am starting to fail speech tests. The Audiologist said, it's because I can no longer hear those tones, so I don't make out words like I use to?

I'm not sure what you mean by deaf accent, but as my hearing loss is progressing, I am starting to fail speech tests. The Audiologist said, it's because I can no longer hear those tones, so I don't make out words like I use to?
Deaf accent is when YOUR speech changes because you can't hear those tones. Our speech is dependent on our hearing, unless we learn other ways with speech therapy (like "feeling" how to words sound). I was developing a deaf accent, though I was unaware of it, as my hearing got worse and have been told by several people, even one's I rarely see and talk to, my deaf accent is gone now that I have my CIs.

Back