Earthquake!

doh

Reaction score
There was an earthquake yesterday where I live:

Earthquake rocks Leeds - Yorkshire Evening Post
Earthquake rocks Leeds

British Geological Survey seismogram showing the earthquake with a magnitude of 5.2 (ML) on the Richter scale near Market Rasen, Lincolnshire at 00:56 GMT.

YORKSHIRE was left shaken and stirred when the UK was hit by its biggest earthquake in nearly 25 years.
The epicentre of the 10-second quake – which measured 5.2 on the Richter scale – was near Market Rasen, in Lincolnshire.

But the tremor was felt right across Yorkshire and as far afield as Brighton and Wales.

Juliet Burke, 22, of Hyde Park, Leeds, was among thousands of people given a rude
awakening just before 1am. She told the YEP: "I
was really scared. I got confused, thinking it can't be an earthquake, this is England! My bed was shaking and a big mirror leaning against my wall was wobbling."

Local fire stations said they were inundated with calls. Firefighters in Stanningley, Leeds, were called out by to a flat above shops on Chapeltown, in Pudsey, where cracks had appeared in ceilings and walls.

Fire crews in Selby were called out twice to deal with damaged chimneys. A number of properties in the Selby area were left without electricity for about 30 minutes.

There were no reports of any injuries in West Yorkshire. A man aged 19 was taken to hospital by ambulance after roof masonry collapsed into his attic bedroom at his home in Wombwell, Barnsley.

I felt it at like 1am but I thought it was just someone's dryer. Nothing serious!

Saw news!! Wow :cool: But Glad nobody hurt!

at 1 a.m.> you woke up? :):)

I was just going to bed at 1am. ;) I get up at 9am so I still get 8 hours' sleep!

Been thru Earthquake before :)

Last one I felt was 5.6 here the day before Halloween last year ;)

Doh, glad you were only all shook up and not hurt. Aren't quakes rare in the British Isles?

Yeah quite rare. This might be my first "real" quake! Had some when I as living in Rochester (people are always surprised at them there... but RIDGE ROAD should be a hint!!!) but I never felt them.

Not too scary! I think there was one injury in effected areas.

Been thru Earthquake before :)

Last one I felt was 5.6 here the day before Halloween last year ;)

Whoa, firs quake in 25 years! That's long time ago, hey?

Calvin, I have felt the quake in australia too -- it was an minor one actually. I was just taking the rubbish out and then walked back inside, but in the middle of my strolling.. the quake erupted. But it felt like a bomb went off.

Of course Leeds, England had an earthquake.

Manchester United didn't win the championship! :giggle:

Whoa, firs quake in 25 years! That's long time ago, hey?

Calvin, I have felt the quake in australia too -- it was an minor one actually. I was just taking the rubbish out and then walked back inside, but in the middle of my strolling.. the quake erupted. But it felt like a bomb went off.

No, actually the last biggest quake before that was 18 years ago in 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and before that, I believe that famous 1906 San Francisco Earthquake.

More on Loma Prieta Earthquake in here: Loma Prieta Earthquake 1989

The Great 1906 Earthquake here: TheHistoryNet | American History | The Great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire

Years ago, there was an earthquake somewhere in the Adirondacks when I was taking a nap and I didn't wake up even when some things in my room fell. :eek2:

Back