Earth Day 2011

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you do anything special for Earth Day?

My husband found a tiny yew that was growing alone, an offshoot from our hedge, and planted it to start a new hedgerow.

Our city had free bus fare for all in honor of Earth Day, but it has been a very rainy day so not many took advantage of it .

On any every day basis, we use cloth bags for shopping, use reusable metal water bottles, use earth friendly soaps and detergents.

What do you do to help the Earth?

Wished my husband a happy birthday. I used to say he's older than dirt (born before earth day). Now he is... my bad. I love him and miss him, but know he's in a better place and is not suffering any more.

I used cloth bags when shopping (when I remember to take them into the store with me).
We recycle as much as possible. Curbside recycling just started in our neighborhood this month (every two weeks), and the for the first pick-up we had a full can (just about the size of the large trash cans). Prior to this we took the stuff to a local recycling "drop off". I'll be taking old meds to a drug recycling event next weekend.

I use an electric lawn mower.

I would consider walking or riding a bike to work now that its under 3 miles from home, but the route is not safe for walking or riding....and I'm not in that good of shape right now. I would take a bus if there was one, but I no longer live near a bus route.

I forgot the recycling, we do fill up a big bin every two weeks also.

I recycle, I use cloth bags for shopping, I use eco-friendly detergents for laundry and dishes, and I compost for my small garden of tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. Wish I had the gumption to do more.

I volunteered at the Foster City Earth Day Festival last Saturday. I will be volunteering at the SF fair tomorrow. Met alot of great people last week. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I will be posting a thread about the new house soon. It is going to be freaky green.

I volunteered at the Foster City Earth Day Festival last Saturday. I will be volunteering at the SF fair tomorrow. Met alot of great people last week. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I will be posting a thread about the new house soon. It is going to be freaky green.

Pictures? And does the bay wall mean San Francisco?

I didn't do anything special today.

Back in 1970, for the very first Earth Day, I went by myself and picked up and bagged trash along my route to work. (It was a several miles walk.) It was a new event and nothing organized in my area, so I improvised. :lol:

I already either walked or rode my bike to work every day except in bad weather or when I got off work after 10 p.m. I walked or rode the bus to most places anyway. :)

I will have many as the house progresses. Yes SF Bay but not in SF. It's in a burb

Great. I will look forward to the pictures. Also on the house innovations for green living.

I didn't do anything special today.

Back in 1970, for the very first Earth Day, I went by myself and picked up and bagged trash along my route to work. (It was a several miles walk.) It was a new event and nothing organized in my area, so I improvised. :lol:

I already either walked or rode my bike to work every day except in bad weather or when I got off work after 10 p.m. I walked or rode the bus to most places anyway. :)
Bus is a great way to save the planet. Obviously, I ride the bus all the time except when my husband is here.

He is dedicated to his car!

Bus is a great way to save the planet. Obviously, I ride the bus all the time except when my husband is here.

We can't use the bus where we live now. It doesn't come any where near where we live. Also, Hubby has to drive a commercial van for his work--it won't fit on a bus. :giggle:

I absolutely hate commuting; it makes me a nervous wreck, not to mention it's expensive. However, I enjoy working, so I keep driving.

I really wish we had better city wide bus service where I am. I would use it much more often than I do. Unfortunately, stops and pick ups are very limited, so I only use it when I don't mind walking a half mile to the stop and when I am not on a time schedule and need to do several errands in a centrally located area. I can't unfortunately, use it for work, because I may be several places in one day, and most stops are no where near where I need to be.

I really wish we had better city wide bus service where I am. I would use it much more often than I do. Unfortunately, stops and pick ups are very limited, so I only use it when I don't mind walking a half mile to the stop and when I am not on a time schedule and need to do several errands in a centrally located area. I can't unfortunately, use it for work, because I may be several places in one day, and most stops are no where near where I need to be.

I understand that, and it does take planning here too to get where you want at the right time. :)

I do BART and CALTRAIN as much as possible here. Love subways.

I love subways too, but the only one I have been on is the London Tube when I went there as a child.

Sadly, no subways close to me.

Did not do anything to commemorate Earth day.

I use cloth bag for shopping and library and work, too. Only uses organic shampoo/conditioner.
I think we use some eco-friendly laundry soap.

We have a compost out in the back, very nourishing for the gardens.

Also we recycle. We recycle grey water, too by using it on gardens.

I use the bus to get to work. Train to city whenever I go there, and when I am in the city, I either walk or use the tram.

We don't have solar panels installed. Maybe someday.

TXgolfer, like Botti, I am looking forward to seeing the final result of your house along wth green friendly devices.

Last edited:
I spent my day at work (and online) and then went out with my parents for wine tasting and then went to their house for pizza and cards. Oh, and I said "Happy Earth Day" on Facebook, lol.

I use cloth bags at Kroger about 1 in ever 4 times I go (ie when I remember them, which is rarely), and I take the bus to and from work every day (so much cheaper, and then I get to read during my commute, rather than get annoyed at the multitudes of people who suck at driving, lol).

Did not do anything to commemorate Earth day.

I use cloth bag for shopping and library and work, too. Only uses organic shampoo/conditioner.
I think we use some eco-friendly laundry soap.

We have a compost out in the back, very nourishing for the gardens.

Also we recycle. We recycle grey water, too by using it on gardens.

I use the bus to get to work. Train to city whenever I go there, and when I am in the city, I either walk or use the tram.

We don't have solar panels installed. Maybe someday.

TXgolfer, like Botti, I am looking forward to seeing the final result of your house along wth green friendly devices.

Hopefully alot of progress will be made before June....if so I will give you a tou if time permits.

Back