Earth Day 2011

Earth Day is almost non-existant here in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. :-( Altho, the wind turbines are part of Earth Day, no? I miss how environmentially friendly Seattle area is.

I've always been a fan of keeping our earth healthy and clean. We use organic shampoo/conditioner, laundry/dish detergent, and I do try to remember to bring my reusable bags when shopping. Although when I forget, we always repurpose the bag in some way, often as a liner in our small garbage cans. I recycle everything, and literally cannot throw a recyclable in the garbage or else I'll feel really bad. When I was younger, I was "given" a few acres of the rainforest. What that meant was that money was given to prevent a few acres from being bull dozed to herd cattle.

I've always been a fan of keeping our earth healthy and clean. We use organic shampoo/conditioner, laundry/dish detergent, and I do try to remember to bring my reusable bags when shopping. Although when I forget, we always repurpose the bag in some way, often as a liner in our small garbage cans. I recycle everything, and literally cannot throw a recyclable in the garbage or else I'll feel really bad. When I was younger, I was "given" a few acres of the rainforest. What that meant was that money was given to prevent a few acres from being bull dozed to herd cattle.

I had a problem with forgetting my bags all of the time, too. So now, after I unpack them, I just take them out and put them right back in the car. That way, I don't have to remember.:P

Earth Day is almost non-existant here in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. :-( Altho, the wind turbines are part of Earth Day, no? I miss how environmentially friendly Seattle area is.

Be a leader. Write city hall, Start a Festival, gather neighbors for a Hwy clean up and BBQ and make up some cheap t-shirts for the group so people know why......Every great Earth Day event was initiated by one person.

We always use plastic grocery bags as garbage liners for small garbage cans. It's reusable that way and saves lot of money. We save up lots of soda pops to recycle with 5 cents each can. That's how Iowa is.

I had a problem with forgetting my bags all of the time, too. So now, after I unpack them, I just take them out and put them right back in the car. That way, I don't have to remember.:P

I do the same. They are in the driver door pocket.....can't miss them.

Mine are in the hatch back. I also have one that folds up to about 4" square and then zips around the edges that I keep in my purse for quick stops.

We always use plastic grocery bags as garbage liners for small garbage cans. It's reusable that way and saves lot of money. We save up lots of soda pops to recycle with 5 cents each can. That's how Iowa is.

We do both those also.

I kept a few reusable bags in different sizes in my Jeep at all times but I forgot to bring them from there into the stores. :giggle:

I kept separate bags for food items and for non-food items, like bug sprays and automotive products.

Shopping is a hassle to me. Remember the bags, remember the coupons, remember the list, plan the budget, plan the trips to line up with the commute... Ugh!

Yes, we also reuse the disposable bags.

There is no deposit or refund for our cans and bottles. We put them out for curbside recycling. We also recycle our paper on alternate weeks with the plastic.

Hopefully alot of progress will be made before June....if so I will give you a tou if time permits.

That'd be neat.

We do that, too. Although, not the soda pop cans, if we do then we have to drive to another state to make that deposit!

Mum'd have two bags in the car. One in the backseat and other in the boot.

I usually remember to take the bags into the grocery store, it's just the other stores that I tend to forget.

Our state government has mandated that trash collection companies provide recycling collection service. Ours just started this month. Now we have a big can outside to throw our recyclebles in (its a "single stream" system) and it gets picked up every two weeks.

Australia have that program, too? I'm surprised about that.

Soda pop recycling for 5 cent each depot is the only one in South Australia, other states doesn't have that program.

I like the program I saw in Norway, though.

Anyway, why surprised?

Soda pop recycling for 5 cent each depot is the only one in South Australia, other states doesn't have that program.

I like the program I saw in Norway, though.

Anyway, why surprised?

What is the program in Norway?

What is the program in Norway?

I visited a friend, who used to live there, and we went to a grocery store and she explained what the machine there were for.

Apparently, it's a recycling machine where you deposit bottles or cans (can't remember which) and you get few cent each for each deposit made.

As for wider recycling program over there, I have no idea.

I visited a friend, who used to live there, and we went to a grocery store and she explained what the machine there were for.

Apparently, it's a recycling machine where you deposit bottles or cans (can't remember which) and you get few cent each for each deposit made.

That would really be convienient. I wish we would do the same here.

They've had those machines in Connecticut for years.

Noisy but cool. :)

Back