DVD says CC, but does not have Closed Captioning

I am sorry, I miss "480i"

RonJaxon, I would be okay with trying your suggestion if I can feed the DVD movie or TV series with the downloaded subtitles through to the HDTV, which has the HDMI cables.

I do not see my family sitting around the laptop watching the movie or TV series that they have purchased for me.

I am still waiting for Best Buy to complete repair on our DVD writer/VHS player so I can see if there is input slots that I can insert the Digital TV Converter box. It says on the outside of the Digital TV Converter box that it transmits Closed Captioning. That would solve the problem of the DVD movies & TV series that my family is buying me that is CC, but do not have English subtitles.

Cc

Points of interest.

HDMI will not pass CC data to the HiDef TV. This discussed elsewhere.

I also connect my HDMI DVD player with A/V cables, red/white/yellow, and switch the TV input when I need CC (this on HiDef tvs)

I have a DVD player that does not pass the CC data. Something deficient in this player. An old Norcent DP315 that I otherwise like.

I don't have BlueRay so know nothing about that.
CC is decoded in the TV.

Subtitles are produced in the DVD and decoded in the player, not the TV.

Any CC you get from your cable using a cable box and HDMI is produced in the cable box. The CC circuit in the TV is not used (try turning the CC modes using the TV remote and you will see it does not affect the CC).

Summary of issues

SUBTITLES AND CLOSED CAPTIONING
DIFFERENT AND CONFUSING
REQUIRES TWO CABLING TECHNOLOGIES​
“The old AV2 analog (white, red & yellow) cord can transmit the CC because it is not transmitting all those wonderful pixels” … AUTHOR = SHASTAR

SUBTITLES
BOX CODE: SDH
NEWER – digital
DECODED IN PLAYER
AVAILABLE ON MOST BLURAYS THRU HDMI
THRU cables like:
Component
HDMI
Optical

THESE do NOT have the line active where the CC is written

The words in English or alternate languages.

The HDMI cable can only hold the highest technology signals with all those pixels, and there is no more room for CC signals
whenever we watch blu-ray... it's subtitled

buy a mini sized pc or mach and use it as multimedia center. for example Mac Mini Intel has DVD drive and DVD Player software which has CC support can send cc to HDTV via HDMI (DVI to HDMI of course) in full HD glory. Also can watch HULU, Run Boxee whatever...

PLAYS ON COMPONENT CABLES (RGB) OR HDMI

“I recently hooked up my dad's bluray player so that it could do both.

“I had HDMI from bluray to TV as input 5 and RCA yellow from bluray to TV as input 4.”

CLOSED CAPTIONING
BOX CODE: CC
OLDER – analog
DECODED IN TV OR CABLE BOX
ONLY AVAILABLE IF USING OLDER CABLING CONNECTIONS; USUALLY NOT AVAILABLE THRU HDMI OR COMPOSITE CABLING, unless Cable Box is doing decoding.

The ONLY cables that will display CC are:
Coaxial (like comes out of wall)
Composite (Yellow=video; red, white = audio;)
S-video (BLACK)

This is because the they carry the line that CC is written in.

Closed captioning includes explanations of all sounds like doors creaking, cars crashing, sighs, and other non-dialogue audio. CC is specifically for D/hoh

SOLUTION1: The old AV2 analog (Yellow; white, red) cord can transmit the CC because it is not transmitting all those wonderful pixels; ALSO S-VIDEO CAN DO CC.
"If we watch DVDs that are not subtitled, but captioned instead... we switch to a different mode" – AND CONNECTION TYPE

SOLUTION2: if you ever want to watch DVDs on your computer WITH close captionings (that is, if the DVD has CC logo on it), Windows Media Player has the Closed Caption option, and WMP is usually standard on any PCs. WMP, DVDs and CC works great for me. Play thru HDMI to TV.

PLAYS ONLY ON OLDER CABLING TECHNOLOGY: COMPOSITE (VIDEO=YELLOW) OR S-VIDEO (BLACK)

“I recently hooked up my dad's bluray player so that it could do both.

I had HDMI from bluray to TV as input 5 and RCA yellow from bluray to TV as input 4.”

I see no responses to this recently, but I'm curious too. I got a DVD recently that has CC, but the captions are off the screen, unreadable and not complete-I see people moving their mouths, but there aren't captions...arrrgh!!! My movie is produced by Universal, so I thought about writing to them. I don't know if this will help, but it really frustrates me-it's not fair!!

Shastar, I found this other thread of a similar issue:
http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/72848-vizio-wont-show-dvd-cc-why-2.html

In the thread I linked, it discussed a bit on how some TV's can't read the CC data when connected via component.

Perhaps, it would help if you could detail how the DVD and TV are connected with one another? Component? RCA? S-Video? HDMI?
It could be that you're using the wrong connection?

My dad had the same problem with his setup. He has a big screen HD television and a blu-ray player. He had it hooked up via HDMI. No problems... until he played a DVD that was CC. After playing around, we figured out that CC wouldn't work through HDMI and required RCA hookup instead.

So, he added RCA cords and hooked it up as VIDEO2. HDMI was hooked up as VIDEO1.

Now, if we watch blu-ray videos with subtitles... we use VIDEO1. If we watch DVDs that are not subtitled, but CC only... then we use VIDEO2.

We purchased a 3 season set of a favorite TV show. The container says CC and subtitles in 3 different languages, but not English. The subtitles for foreign languages work, but none are English. Then the closed captioning does not work at all. There is nothing in the setup menu to turn on closed captioning for the English hearing impaired.

This is not the first time this has happened to us. Several boxed sets of the Simpson's series says it is closed captioned, but they are not closed captioned and there is no way to go into a setup screen to turn on captioning.

Why are manufacturers putting "CC" on the containers, but the show on the DVDs are not captioned. It is misleading and bugs me to death as I would not buy it if I knew it was not closed captioned.:confused:

Also, is there someplace I can write to complain about this?

I share your frustration because I get these often. In fact, I have "Marlene" in my collection, a documentary of Marlene Dietrich. It's my favorite film and should be captioned like it says on the cover, but it's not. I don't know what disappointments me more: DVDs that claim to be captioned and aren't, or those like my other favorite, "Bhutto," which can barely be heard for some reason and has absolutely no captions in any language. I don't think the companies much care because it doesn't affect them.

Laura

I prefer closed caption over subtitles. There are some movies that have a new kind of subtitles (SDH) that look exactly like CC but huge. That bothers me to watch that because it fill up the screen and block some picture, so I had to use normal English subtitles when they don't have CC. Know what I am talking about? Am I the only one that get bothered by that?

thank you

Thanks so much for this thread. I have so many series that I love and could not figure out how to get the CC to work and you folks have explained that subtitles and CC are different and I put my TV cable on subtitles and the DVD's that are labeled with CC come in as subtitles!!! thanks again.

Very helpful discussion

We were not able to get CC on the Borgias DVD we borrowed from the library. My husband is gradually losing his hearing so we really need either subtitles or CC to view just about anything. Subtitles are often available on the DVDs we watch because we often watch foreign films. And Netflix does a pretty good job of offering subtitles as well. We also turn on the CC on live TV. But I never realized that subtitles and CC were two different bands of data! So thank you for educating me.

I just want to confirm that the issue on our system was that CC is part of the Video stream and HDMI did not transmit this band of data on either of our systems. Our PS3 only has HDMI video output so that was a non-starter. But I was able to connect the component video out from our older Toshiba DVD player to the component video in on our Panasonic TV. And then I connected the analog Audio out to an older amplifier that we still use from time to time. The entire set up is one big kludge, but it does the job. Thank you for all the information.

However, I think that more political pressure should be brought to bear on content providers, like Showtime in this instance, to provide subtitles on DVDs. It is clear that this made-for-cable series cost a fortune to produce. The fact that the FCC does not require all new DVD content to include English and Spanish subtitles is outrageous. I am going to write to Matthew Blank, CEO of Showtime, the FCC, my local Congressman and Senators, and also to Neil Jordan, the Executive Producer of this series, to protest the absence of subtitles. As a further protest, I am canceling our subscription to Showtime on cable.

communication device

I'm wondering if a device (a glove) which would enable free-flowing conversations between the Deaf and the Hearing would be something that would be of interest. A small business group at the University of Ottawa, of which I am a part of, are developing such a product and we're interested in your feedback during this process. If you have a couple of minutes to answer 10 anonymous questions please click here...

Product Dev. for deaf and hard-of-hearing Survey

Thank you!

We purchased a 3 season set of a favorite TV show. The container says CC and subtitles in 3 different languages, but not English. The subtitles for foreign languages work, but none are English. Then the closed captioning does not work at all. There is nothing in the setup menu to turn on closed captioning for the English hearing impaired.

This is not the first time this has happened to us. Several boxed sets of the Simpson's series says it is closed captioned, but they are not closed captioned and there is no way to go into a setup screen to turn on captioning.

Why are manufacturers putting "CC" on the containers, but the show on the DVDs are not captioned. It is misleading and bugs me to death as I would not buy it if I knew it was not closed captioned.:confused:

Also, is there someplace I can write to complain about this?

I just had the same issue. I went onto the menu on the TV and the closed captioning wasn't enabled.

I just had the same issue. I went onto the menu on the TV and the closed captioning wasn't enabled.

I don't know if you're aware this thread is old. In 2014, FCC law required the companies to install CC decoder in BluRay players. HDMI cables doesn't support CC data because it wants to preserve high quality screen. AD member, Calvin said he uses cable box setting to turn on CC or subtitles for DVD/BluRay through his PS4.

If your BluRay/DVD player is old prior to 2014, I suggest purchasing a new player like Sony.

I have many dvds and they don't have cc , the new one do but not the older movies , and few I have threw in trash since I can't use , am deaf and won't keep any without close caption , few gave to friends since they can hear ..I have all of Hellraiser and none are in CC ..so will throw them in the trash ..

Back