Dumb "Girly" Question for Signers

Hollykins1

Reaction score
Hey all,

For the women on here who sign - do you wear nail polish? (okay, maybe some guys too.....)

I used to have my nails done - usually the pink & white tips - but sometimes I'd do the colored tips. Haven't had them done in a long time as I'd been sick.

But now that I'm learning sign - I'm wondering if that would be considered too distracting?

I have very short cut nails with no polish.

What about for Terps? What is your opinion about nail color &/or dress code?
I am not remotely considered a 'girly' girl. I don't wear nail polish at all most times. And when I do it's a version of purple.

I sometimes wear nail polish but it doesn't seem to bother my friends at all.

I don't wear polish... too time consuming for me. LOL However, when starting my Terp Training, one thing that they require is that nails are kept cut short and with no colors or glittery polish, only maybe natural/clear. It is quite distracting. I know when I was in class last semester, there was a girl who had these really long nails and it drove me nuts! I kept seeing the nails instead of really seeing what she was signing. Maybe it's because I'm still learning, but I find it quite distracting. Anyway... just my $.02 ; )

If you're a signer, the decision to use polish is about following a personal preference.

If you're a terp, the decision to use polish is about following a professional standard.

If you're a signer, the decision to use polish is about following a personal preference.

If you're a terp, the decision to use polish is about following a professional standard.

So if I get my nails done in a soft lavender color it's ok as a terp? I was not thinking of wearing sparkly violet color, which I think is nice, but totally inappropriate for work.

So if I get my nails done in a soft lavender color it's ok as a terp? I was not thinking of wearing sparkly violet color, which I think is nice, but totally inappropriate for work.

I don't think so.

Is lavender polish the professional standard? No.

Remember, polish isn't permanent, and even terps can wear whatever they want when they aren't working or on call. :)

my interpreting teacher said no distracting colors. French manicures are fine, but only neutral colors if you decided to paint, nothing distracting.

I'm not an terp. I just wanted to know if nail polish or colored tips would bother others while I was signing.

Back