'Duck Dynasty' star suspended for anti-gay remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did not compare homosexuality to beastiality - he listed them as seperate sins. he even listed heterosexual sins - sleeping around with different women.

So if someone is going to say he compared homosexuality with beastiality, they also have to say he compared homosexuality to heterosexuality.

These reporters lynching Phil cannot read, or comprehend the English language very well.

I prefer Phil to be honest about how he feels. He is promoting clean living, not living in filth.

He did not compare homosexuality to beastiality - he listed them as seperate sins. he even listed heterosexual sins - sleeping around with different women.

So if someone is going to say he compared homosexuality with beastiality, they also have to say he compared homosexuality to heterosexuality.

These reporters lynching Phil cannot read, or comprehend the English language very well.

I prefer Phil to be honest about how he feels. He is promoting clean living, not living in filth.

Well, tell to media and reporters. :dunno:

I'm neutral on those issue and I do not want Duck Dynasty to be cancelled over stupid things.

It was never about the Robertsons, the LGBT community, etc. I really think that A&E put Duck Dynasty on the air to mock Southerners. Their model is to make money by pandering to a liberal progressive audience by offering up "reality" shows about "hicks" looking ignorant. I honestly don't think that they intended for the show to go in the direction it did, building a large following. But they will gladly take the money - heck they are still advertising the January 15th premiere on their website, still making clips and full episodes available for viewing, etc. If they found Phil to be so offensive, why are they running all those re-runs? $$$$$$. They clearly still want the money from the show and I think that they thought they could put the family in line and appease their viewer base at the same time. How they underestimate their viewer base and the Robertson family so badly at the same time is baffling. Cracker Barrel figured it out and figured it out quick. I think that A&E is thinking that this will quiet down and go away on its own....

It was never about the Robertsons, the LGBT community, etc. I really think that A&E put Duck Dynasty on the air to mock Southerners. Their model is to make money by pandering to a liberal progressive audience by offering up "reality" shows about "hicks" looking ignorant. I honestly don't think that they intended for the show to go in the direction it did, building a large following. But they will gladly take the money - heck they are still advertising the January 15th premiere on their website, still making clips and full episodes available for viewing, etc. If they found Phil to be so offensive, why are they running all those re-runs? $$$$$$. They clearly still want the money from the show and I think that they thought they could put the family in line and appease their viewer base at the same time. How they underestimate their viewer base and the Robertson family so badly at the same time is baffling. Cracker Barrel figured it out and figured it out quick. I think that A&E is thinking that this will quiet down and go away on its own....

Do you like to watch Duck Dynasty? love it before controversy?

I don't think A&E is very liberal channels because they have some shows that appeal to politically conservatives like Shipping Wars, Storage Wars, Longmire and Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I think most liberal channel ever will be MTV.

Do you like to watch Duck Dynasty? love it before controversy?

I don't think A&E is very liberal channels because they have some shows that appeal to politically conservatives like Shipping Wars, Storage Wars, Longmire and Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I think most liberal channel ever will be MTV.

I have actually never seen one episode of Duck Dynasty ... ever.

But, because of your post, I went online and I am watching this right now:

Watch the O Little Town of West Monroe Full Episode - Duck Dynasty - A&E

It has CC - and I must say, it is making me giggle - so that is good. They could be my family - it is so uncanny dude.

you're splitting hairs all the place and purposedly missing the point, not able to see the forest for the trees. I really don't think you're this obtuse.
I like to stick with the facts.

Maybe, just maybe other religions have a better understanding of what really religious freedom means, and more respect for their fellow man. Maybe they know it's not their place to judge. I don't know why I'm going to try to explain this, so I'm just going to do this once.
Freedom of religion is a political concept, not a theology. I can't speak for other religions but Christianity teaches and practices love for all people.

You have religious freedom. You can worship anyway you want in your church and in your home. You are not required to practice any one religion, there's your freedom. Being affiliated with one particular, or even any, religion is not required to hold public office, there again you will find religious freedom. Which is particularly funny with all the people complaining Obama is a Muslim. Even if he was it doesn't matter, he can be Muslim and president, because we have religious freedom.
Yes, I have religious freedom as guaranteed by the US Constitution. I'm not sure what Obama has to do with this topic, and I've never complained about him being a Muslim.

Keep it in your church.
That is a contradiction to saying we have religious freedom.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

That means, practicing one's faith is not confined within church walls.

For born again Christians, living for Christ is a 24/7 experience, any place, every place. It's our life, not a part-time hobby.

What other people do is none of your business, because they also have religious freedom. If you think they're sinning, just remember that's none of your business. That's between them and God.
I don't intend to get into other people's business. I don't ask what other people doing. I (and other Christians) are compelled only to share God's truth with the world, in love for others just as He loves all people. All people are free to either accept it or reject it. Yes, that is between the individual and God.

If you can't see how that correlating a person making love with someone they love and ****ing a dog, well....I just can't help you. If you cant' see the lack of respect and how that is none of your business....I can't help you.
All sexual sin is sin. That doesn't mean all acts are the same but they are all acts that prevent the fellowship of a person with God.

Is it out respect that you say it's none of my business and that you can't help me?

The part you're missing about freedom of speech, it's protecting you, and Phil, for the government. It doesn't protect you from you boss, your neighbors, you friends and family.
If you will check, I haven't made the claim that A&E has committed a free speech violation. It might not be a wise business decision but unless their contract states otherwise, not a free speech violation.

I Just because you say something, and have the right to say it, meaning it won't land you in jail, does not mean the rest of society HAS to accept it, or even find it acceptable. If you can't see how disrespectful to other people, how selfish and self centered that is....I can't help you.
I don't need help in seeing that a large number of Americans support Phil's statement.

You will always feel wronged, picked on, you will never see the error of your ways, and you will never see the forest for the trees.
I haven't posted anything about feeling wronged or picked on. I don't feel wronged or picked on as long as I can freely post at AD with everyone else.

I knew it was only a matter of time for someone to start a thread on this. I'll be posting my two cents later.

A&E issued an apology to Christians, and Phil is no longer suspended. they also issued an apology to Phil's family.

A&E issued an apology to Christians, and Phil is no longer suspended. they also issued an apology to Phil's family.

Where? link, please? I haven't seen like that on news, including Fox News.

Entertainment Weekly

Phil Is scheduled to appear in new episodes after January 15. Funny how he was "suspended' when A&E wasn't filming any new episodes anyway ... :hmm:

Entertainment Weekly

Phil Is scheduled to appear in new episodes after January 15. Funny how he was "suspended' when A&E wasn't filming any new episodes anyway ... :hmm:

A&E doesn't issue an apology to Phil Robertson yet and I don't find any articles about apology.

Duck Dynasty with Phil Robertson for Season 5 already filmed before Phil Robertson was suspended.
'Duck Dynasty': New episodes will include Phil | Inside TV | EW.com

If A&E chooses to keep their word so Phil Robertson won't appear on Season 6.

I like to stick with the facts.

Freedom of religion is a political concept, not a theology. I can't speak for other religions but Christianity teaches and practices love for all people.

Yes, I have religious freedom as guaranteed by the US Constitution. I'm not sure what Obama has to do with this topic, and I've never complained about him being a Muslim.

That is a contradiction to saying we have religious freedom.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

That means, practicing one's faith is not confined within church walls.

For born again Christians, living for Christ is a 24/7 experience, any place, every place. It's our life, not a part-time hobby.

I don't intend to get into other people's business. I don't ask what other people doing. I (and other Christians) are compelled only to share God's truth with the world, in love for others just as He loves all people. All people are free to either accept it or reject it. Yes, that is between the individual and God.

All sexual sin is sin. That doesn't mean all acts are the same but they are all acts that prevent the fellowship of a person with God.

Is it out respect that you say it's none of my business and that you can't help me?

If you will check, I haven't made the claim that A&E has committed a free speech violation. It might not be a wise business decision but unless their contract states otherwise, not a free speech violation.

I don't need help in seeing that a large number of Americans support Phil's statement.

I haven't posted anything about feeling wronged or picked on. I don't feel wronged or picked on as long as I can freely post at AD with everyone else.

I knew you weren't going to get it. Fundamental misunderstanding of what freedom of religion, it's not free reign for religions, and other people are free from your religion. If they wanted it they'd go to your church. No ones religion trumps mine or anyone. No it's not a contradiction. The free exercise clause just means congress can't pass laws banning religious beliefs, for instance it can't pass a law religions can't believe that homosexuality is a sin, and that it can pass laws against religious practices that go against other laws, like murder, so if human sacrifice is a part of a religious belief it can ban that. People want to hear others people's beliefs about as much as they want Jehovah witnesses to sit down in their living room. Yes you have the right to talk about, just like other people have the right not to be subjected to it. Keeping it in your church is more a matter of respect than law.

You also have to realize that I wasn't speaking directly to you, until you started quoting me, so obviously I hurt nerves whether you want to admit it or not. There are people that feel everyone has religious freedom but Christians. But that's mostly due to the fact that are the noisiest, rudest, foulest group so they get told basically to shut up more often. They feel picked on. Poor Christians. If you're not in that camp, than disregard it, it wasn't meant for you. Your posts seem otherwise.

I don't care about DD. I care about free speech and freedom of religion and I care about people playing those cards when they shouldn't be. Because they don't understand it, they think Christianity is some how more special than other beliefs so other people should have to listen to them or they start crying about their rights. Like theirs are more important than other people's beliefs and rights. When the whole point of religious freedom is so ONE religion doesn't dominate the country or government.

I knew you weren't going to get it. Fundamental misunderstanding of what freedom of religion, it's not free reign for religions, and other people are free from your religion. If they wanted it they'd go to your church. No ones religion trumps mine or anyone. No it's not a contradiction. The free exercise clause just means congress can't pass laws banning religious beliefs, for instance it can't pass a law religions can't believe that homosexuality is a sin, and that it can pass laws against religious practices that go against other laws, like murder, so if human sacrifice is a part of a religious belief it can ban that. People want to hear others people's beliefs about as much as they want Jehovah witnesses to sit down in their living room. Yes you have the right to talk about, just like other people have the right not to be subjected to it. Keeping it in your church is more a matter of respect than law.

You also have to realize that I wasn't speaking directly to you, until you started quoting me, so obviously I hurt nerves whether you want to admit it or not. There are people that feel everyone has religious freedom but Christians. But that's mostly due to the fact that are the noisiest, rudest, foulest group so they get told basically to shut up more often. They feel picked on. Poor Christians. If you're not in that camp, than disregard it, it wasn't meant for you. Your posts seem otherwise.

I don't care about DD. I care about free speech and freedom of religion and I care about people playing those cards when they shouldn't be. Because they don't understand it, they think Christianity is some how more special than other beliefs so other people should have to listen to them or they start crying about their rights. Like theirs are more important than other people's beliefs and rights. When the whole point of religious freedom is so ONE religion doesn't dominate the country or government.

right now, you are preaching to your group's choir. Reba "gets it". She also served in the military and defended your right to free speech to disagree with her.

What you don't get, is that your views do not trump anyone's religious right to the freedom of religious expression. Please continue to post, everytime you attempt to silence the faithful, they are just going to get louder.

I'm not surprised you don't get it either.

I'm not surprised you don't get it either.

not buying it .. sorry. I have an unfair advantage though .. I went to school and actually learned what the US Constitution means. :giggle:

I even read the Bill of Rights, and the Founding Father's authored papers, to get a clearer understanding of why they drafted the US Constitution the way they did - so the revisionists do not get my vote.

Then God spake and said to get a ferkin' grip.

I knew you weren't going to get it.
Oh, I "get" what the Constitution is about. I don't have a BS in political science for nothing. I also review the Constitution every year.

Fundamental misunderstanding of what freedom of religion, it's not free reign for religions, and other people are free from your religion. If they wanted it they'd go to your church. No ones religion trumps mine or anyone. No it's not a contradiction.
I've never said that other people had to accept my beliefs. On the other hand, no one has a Constitutional right to prevent my expression of my beliefs in America. Yes, there can be financial repercussions for that expression. I've had my income affected by my beliefs. I neither brag nor complain about that; it's just a fact of life. What you don't "get" is that one's spiritual beliefs aren't contained within the four walls of a church building. They are part of one's essential being. I can't leave my relationship with Jesus inside a building or limit it to Sunday anymore than I would limit my breathing to a small time and space. However, in America, no one else is required to participate. Relationships can't be forced. I can share that information with others but only the individual can make that decision. It cannot be forced.

The free exercise clause just means congress can't pass laws banning religious beliefs, for instance it can't pass a law religions can't believe that homosexuality is a sin, and that it can pass laws against religious practices that go against other laws, like murder, so if human sacrifice is a part of a religious belief it can ban that. People want to hear others people's beliefs about as much as they want Jehovah witnesses to sit down in their living room. Yes you have the right to talk about, just like other people have the right not to be subjected to it. Keeping it in your church is more a matter of respect than law.
The law does NOT say that religious beliefs must be kept inside a church. Even the Supreme Court agrees with that. We are not China where believers have to restrict their beliefs from the public.

You also have to realize that I wasn't speaking directly to you, until you started quoting me, so obviously I hurt nerves whether you want to admit it or not.
If you are posting about Christians, that includes me. Born again Christians are brothers and sisters of one body.

There are people that feel everyone has religious freedom but Christians. But that's mostly due to the fact that are the noisiest, rudest, foulest group so they get told basically to shut up more often. They feel picked on. Poor Christians. If you're not in that camp, than disregard it, it wasn't meant for you. Your posts seem otherwise.
Some people who profess to be Christians can be rude, noisy, and foul, yes. But to say that they as a "group" are that way is incorrect. The problem is, the rude, noisy, foul ones get the attention. The quiet, meek, sweet ones don't get publicity.

I don't care about DD. I care about free speech and freedom of religion and I care about people playing those cards when they shouldn't be.
Part of free speech is being able to complain (justified or not) and support those whom they feel have been aggrieved.

Because they don't understand it, they think Christianity is some how more special than other beliefs so other people should have to listen to them or they start crying about their rights. Like theirs are more important than other people's beliefs and rights. When the whole point of religious freedom is so ONE religion doesn't dominate the country or government.
No, Christians in America should not be granted more rights than others. They should also not be denied rights that other groups enjoy, especially for PC mollification.

Free speech??? If that jerk talked in front of me that way, he'd be in the market for new teeth. Ouchies galore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back