Driving school offers blind people a chance to take the wheel

knightwolf68

Reaction score
Jason Fayre gets into the car for his first driving lesson. May 5, 2005.

DENVER - The people taking driving lessons at Master Drive of Denver Thursday have been rock climbing, white water rafting and skiing, but getting behind the wheel of a car may be the most thrilling thing they've done in a while.

The student drivers were from the Colorado Center for the Blind and they were very excited to do something that many of us do everyday and sometimes wish we didn't.

"It's going to be awesome," said 30-year-old Jason Fayre, who was about to drive for the first time. "It's going to be great. Probably won't let me go as fast as I'd like to go, but such is life. I think it'll be a very, very exhilarating feeling to be able to do that."

The driving students learned breaking techniques and maneuvered their cars through a slalom course with help from the staff at Master Drive.

A few cones were crushed during the lessons, but nothing could crush the excitement of the people getting to drive for the first time.

This is the fifth year Master Drive has opened the school to the blind students for a day. They say that although the drivers won't earn a license they hope this will help them as passengers and pedestrians.

Back