Driving alerting devices

I agree! I am HOH and My driving record is fine! I have the best rate you can have on your auto insurance!!

I have really good insurance too! I drive a smart ForTwo and my insurance is less $650 a year for full coverage on my new car.

That sound like without collison coverage? And that is not a bad deal.

I have collision coverage! I have AAA too and get a small discount on my insurance. You could get a 10% discount if had AAA but not any more! It also made a difference where you live and drive your car. My city is very small and I park my car off the street at night.

Even when I had my hearing I depended solely on my eyes, I didn't listen for cars next to me before I switched lanes I looked for cars and even when I heard sirens I had to look to see where they were coming from

So nope don't need any devices with or without my hearing....

We already have a device invented for that. It is called a 'rearview mirror'. It's basically a small rectangular mirror mounted in the top center of the windshield that is adjustable for viewing based on the driver's preferences and height. :giggle:

We don't really need any kind of alerting device. We use our own eyes. It has been proven that deaf people are actually better drivers than hearing... Right? :P

And I cringe every time someone says "hearing impaired."

We don't really need any kind of alerting device. We use our own eyes. It has been proven that deaf people are actually better drivers than hearing... Right? :P

And I cringe every time someone says "hearing impaired."
Why do you cringe? I have no hearing impediment but my best friend is considered legally deaf and yet she can hear certain frequencies; enough to know when she should try to look at a face in order to read lips.
I never use the term "deaf" when I talk with her because I thought that might further lead to alienation brought on by the stigma people have with deafness being a handicap. To me, having a hearing impediment doesn't necessarily mean that she has a handicap. While she may be lacking in certain areas she excels in others.
I'm compelled to tell you this in closing. When we met we "dated" for a few weeks and we inevitably were sleeping together. Several years have passed since our "dating" period and we have moved past that period. Now, we are the best of friends. In the past 3-4 years we both have separately had "partners" and continue to have a great relationship.
While I tell her that I love her and that I'd do ANYTHING for her, this doesn't mean that we have a romantic relationship. She's the "sister" that I've never had. I love her and even though she won't choose the same words, I know she loves me just in her actions. See, she suffers from several debilitating conditions (gastro paresis, diabetes, chronic pancreatitis) and I'm usually the first one she calls when she goes to the hospital; whether on her own abilities or via 911.
Maybe this explains why I question why you "cringe" when you hear "hearing impaired". Please tell me why you cringe??? You can reach me email. My gmail is the same as my user name on this site.

^^ I'm not sure if the person who you are replying to will still be here as the last posts in this thread are from 2011- six years ago. But...

The "stigma" with being deaf is becoming less and less. There is nothing wrong with being deaf. People do cringe at "hearing impaired" because to them... they're not impaired... for some of us- being deaf is all we know from birth... I'm either deaf or Hard of hearing (depending on who you ask lol) but I've almost always id'd myself as deaf... almost never hearing impaired because that is such a broad range to me. Have you ever asked HER what she identifies as or prefers? Frankly not using "deaf" is adding TO the stigma...

Everyone will have a different reason why they don't like the term hearing impaired. I don't care if others (like you in this instance) use if it if makes y'all comfortable but for me personally it doesn't. I'll still use that term if the other person prefers it though...

Dear All,

We are a group of students working on creating a device to alert hearing impaired drivers of the direction of approaching emergency vehicles.

We would extremely obliged if you could either provide us with some feedback in regards to this idea or spend a few minutes answering the following questions:

1) Are you a driver?

2) If yes, what challenges do you face as a driver?

3) If not, what challenges do you think you will face as a driver?

4) Would a visual signalling device alerting you of approaching emergency vehicles improve your driving experience?

5) Why or why not?

Thank you in advance for your time. All responses shall be greatly appreciated!
1 yes
2 i need a device to warn me of approaching emergency vehicles at intersections. I live a block away from a fire and police station and 2 blocks from a busy hospital. I have pulled out in front of emergency vehicles many times when a truck or building or something is blocking my view of cross traffic at in intersection.
4 yes at intersections yes. i have been looking for years for this type of device. I once heard that the veterans administration has these. I am not a veteran and haven't been able to find someone who knows.
5 at an intersection when my light is green i have pulled out in front of emergency vehicles many times, usually a truck or bushes or a building or something is blocking my view of cross traffic

Back