Driving alerting devices

Intergra-Aide

Reaction score
Dear All,

We are a group of students working on creating a device to alert hearing impaired drivers of the direction of approaching emergency vehicles.

We would extremely obliged if you could either provide us with some feedback in regards to this idea or spend a few minutes answering the following questions:

1) Are you a driver?

2) If yes, what challenges do you face as a driver?

3) If not, what challenges do you think you will face as a driver?

4) Would a visual signalling device alerting you of approaching emergency vehicles improve your driving experience?

5) Why or why not?

Thank you in advance for your time. All responses shall be greatly appreciated!

We all use the rearview or the left/right mirrors. Same as any other driver.

We don't really need any kind of alerting device. We use our own eyes. It has been proven that deaf people are actually better drivers than hearing... Right? :P

And I cringe every time someone says "hearing impaired."

Took the words right outta my mouth, Lanapoo!

Furthermore, hearing nor the lack of it is a basis for safe driving.

Every emergency vehicle should have alerting device: "Deaf Driver Ahead"
That would be good but the deaf driver needs something to have it communicated with the emergency vehicles....

1) Are you a driver?
yes

hearing drivers do not know how to drive safely

4) Would a visual signalling device alerting you of approaching emergency vehicles improve your driving experience?
no

5) Why or why not?
My time's more important than some poor dumb bastard who crashed because he thinks his life is more important that he had to focus on txting/talking on phone than driving

You're welcome.

I love the responses. Sneakernet is good with funny sarcasm.

How many accidents has been reported of a deaf or HOH person driving into fire truck?? I have not heard of one accident! I think there should a device to alert people that an idiot , drunk driver or a poor driver is on the road!!

Instead of making a device to alert "hearing impaired" (LOL) of oncoming emergency vehicles maybe you could make a device to block text messages while a person is in a vehicle and driving to eliminate the dangers of texting while driving. That is the real danger. Not the fact that we cannot hear.

Even hearing people don't always hear or see emergency vehicles.

All we have to do is be alert of our surroundings. :)

Exactly - I never hear the ambulance or police coming but I definitely notice when drivers start pulling over, and pedestrians turning to look in the same direction. Common sense tells you they're doing that for a reason.

I constantly freak out my friends all the time when I'm driving on the higway - I usually always know when there's a police car up ahead waiting to catch speeders. You see, normally we all drive at our own speed so we're more or less evenly spread out on the highway. So, when I see drivers going in the opposite direction breaking apart from a cluster, that tells me that just previously they were all driving at the same speed - presumbably the speed limit because they were passing a police car.

That's the advantage of being deaf, you really learn to use your eyes to glean information. You notice things other people don't. :)

So, when hearing people say deaf people shouldn't drive, it makes me laugh. Driving is mostly about being aware of your surroundings.

I just saw this on youtube right now and it's hilarious! It's two CODA brothers talking about deaf drivers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzXRnvePEs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - ‪CODA BROTHERS: DEAF DRIVING‬‏[/ame]

And yeah, I do not need a technical device that would make me take my eyes off the road while driving. No thanks.

Some emergency vehicles have a rumbler sirens, the super subwoofer sirens send a sonic waves to feel vibrations.

Minneapolis newest white/black police cars have a rumbler siren.

The problem is, car owner have subwoofer speakers can't controlled from the rumbler's frequent codes.

Dear All,

We are a group of students working on creating a device to alert hearing impaired drivers of the direction of approaching emergency vehicles.

We would extremely obliged if you could either provide us with some feedback in regards to this idea or spend a few minutes answering the following questions:

1) Are you a driver?

Yes

All the other idiots on the road, especially the morons who are a) talking on cell-phones while driving, b) texting (dear Lord!!) on cell-phones while driving, c) eating while driving, d) disciplining kids while driving, e) putting on make-up while driving, f) doing anything other than DRIVING while driving!!

3) If not, what challenges do you think you will face as a driver?

I like the BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) on my Volvo. It has a light on the rear-view mirror when someone moves into the blind spot. It also has a "parking assist" which will beep if someone passes behind the car. Not specifically for emergency vehicles, just general driving. I like it a lot.

5) Why or why not?

Hope that's helpful.

Some emergency vehicles have a rumbler sirens, the super subwoofer sirens send a sonic waves to feel vibrations.

Minneapolis newest white/black police cars have a rumbler siren.

The problem is, car owner have subwoofer speakers can't controlled from the rumbler's frequent codes.

NYPD has that rumbler siren. It was a very unpleasant feeling :ugh:

Yes I am a driver for many years.

I agree with vamprox..

Deaf drivers are MORE aware then hearing is. The hearing is more focused on conversation or music with thier ears so they lose sense what thier eyes are saying. Deaf/hoh drivers SEES more and respond better.

Instead of trying to add more crap or regulations for deaf drivers, why not focus on the more general population? We deaf/hoh have a hard time spending money on things to work WITH the hearing people like phone flashers, ttys, door bell alert, etc.
I really think you should focus more on developing a device for the rearview mirror to flash a message for whatever emergency vehicle is approaching and arrow where its coming from. IF a hearing person is NOT using hand free cellphone, they can PUT IT DOWN when seeing that flashing rearview mirror. This will benefit everybody!!!! If you pass a law to have all new vehicles to include the option on rearview mirror and require all emergency vehicles to have the signaling alert built in the siren, then chances are you will raise awareness and possibly prevent emergency vehicle involved crashes.

Just seeing Intergra-Aide targeting the deaf/hoh to ADD a device in the car just tells me you either you are uninformed and never ridden with the deaf or just plain ignorant. The percentage road rage/crashes/cell phone issues simply outweighs with the number of hearing drivers vs then with the deaf.

AGAIN- let me rephrase this. Please shift your attention with lack of attention with hearing people rather then targeting the deaf. There is NO data of total number of deaf/hoh drivers vs problems. Everyday, we are still hearing the news about cellphone talking, music too loud, crashes, road rages, lack of sleep with the hearing. How often do the deaf/hoh make news or even just in a conversation "hey I saw a deafy chatting on pager today and he flipped me thee bird when he swerved in my lane?" It almost never happens, SO WHY ARE you trying to create a group study ?!

Yes I am a driver for many years.

I agree with vamprox..

Deaf drivers are MORE aware then hearing is. The hearing is more focused on conversation or music with thier ears so they lose sense what thier eyes are saying. Deaf/hoh drivers SEES more and respond better.

Instead of trying to add more crap or regulations for deaf drivers, why not focus on the more general population? We deaf/hoh have a hard time spending money on things to work WITH the hearing people like phone flashers, ttys, door bell alert, etc.
I really think you should focus more on developing a device for the rearview mirror to flash a message for whatever emergency vehicle is approaching and arrow where its coming from. IF a hearing person is NOT using hand free cellphone, they can PUT IT DOWN when seeing that flashing rearview mirror. This will benefit everybody!!!! If you pass a law to have all new vehicles to include the option on rearview mirror and require all emergency vehicles to have the signaling alert built in the siren, then chances are you will raise awareness and possibly prevent emergency vehicle involved crashes.

Just seeing Intergra-Aide targeting the deaf/hoh to ADD a device in the car just tells me you either you are uninformed and never ridden with the deaf or just plain ignorant. The percentage road rage/crashes/cell phone issues simply outweighs with the number of hearing drivers vs then with the deaf.

AGAIN- let me rephrase this. Please shift your attention with lack of attention with hearing people rather then targeting the deaf. There is NO data of total number of deaf/hoh drivers vs problems. Everyday, we are still hearing the news about cellphone talking, music too loud, crashes, road rages, lack of sleep with the hearing. How often do the deaf/hoh make news or even just in a conversation "hey I saw a deafy chatting on pager today and he flipped me thee bird when he swerved in my lane?" It almost never happens, SO WHY ARE you trying to create a group study ?!

I agree! I am HOH and My driving record is fine! I have the best rate you can have on your auto insurance!! I am always checking my rear view mirror to made sure there no ER trucks behind me. I was on a drawn bridge once and the traffic was stopped as the bridge was closing and I checked out my rear view mirror to made sure the driver behind me was stopping too! And he was not, the guy was speeding and I got into the next lane as fast as I could! And sure enough the guy in the truck ran right into the rear end of the car I was behind! I felt horrible for that person! I was hoping the guy in the truck would had notice the traffic was stopped when he saw me stopped in the next lane! The guy really hit the car hard! I am sure glad I checked my rear view mirror that time! I had just gotten my car too and had it less than a week . I was a not my 1989 car.

Last edited:
Back