Drivers License

Got my the same way the hearies did, the cop just had to talk louder.(In WV the state police gave the driving test)

I failed the parallel parking section. Did I fail because I'm deaf? :giggle:

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :)

Same goes for me. I still suck at this prior to today. :giggle:

I was backing a bee truck and trailer unit out of a California orchard last January when an almond branch snapped into my mirror and broke it. Part of my seven years of bad luck was contending with CHiPs.

I had the farmer's wife call CDOT and ask if I could drive my truck to the Ford dealership in Stockton to fix it. They said since I was deaf, if my truck was caught on the road without the required mirror in place, I would be ticketed and the truck would be wheel-locked until the mirror was fixed.

But I was thinking too literally, and the farmer's wife taped her compact mirror on the bracket, and I drove to Stockton with a clear (and silent) conscience.

Clever lady.

My dad did tape his compact mirror on right passenger side for a while until he ordered a new compact mirror with matching color, then took his car to the shop to replace old one with a new one which my dad ordered from the internet. That cost him less than $200. How? I accidently snapped it through the side of garage. Opps! :giggle:

I wonder if it's the same one that pulled me over in Columbus, OH?!

Could be, if he transferred. It happened to my son and his friend in Cincinnati. A lot of the larger citiies actually try to recruit CODAs into public service positions to facllitate communication with the Deaf communities. I know that my ASL skills, even though I am not a CODA, give me an advantage in employment considerations.

I have never heard of a terp sitting in the passenger seat, for either practicing or taking the test. When I interpreted driver's ed, it was only the classroom part.

Got my the same way the hearies did, the cop just had to talk louder.(In WV the state police gave the driving test)
It was a state trooper who did my driving test. What I did was ask him what the basic instructions were going to be. He said that it was "left", "right", "stop", "slow down", and "reverse". So, we worked out a system... pointing left/right, sign language for "stop", a patting gesture for "slow down", and thumbs pointing backwards for "reverse".

I have never heard of a terp sitting in the passenger seat, for either practicing or taking the test. When I interpreted driver's ed, it was only the classroom part.
When I took drivers ed, the teacher that I had with me knew little sign language... but it was enough to get me through. :)

I got my driver's license from a box of Cracker Jacks, :lol:

In seriousness though - I took the test and everything the same way a hearing person would. I have no special endorsements on my license in regards to my hearing or vision.

I got my driver's license from a box of Cracker Jacks, :lol:

In seriousness though - I took the test and everything the same way a hearing person would. I have no special endorsements on my license in regards to my hearing or vision.

Cracker Jacks?! are you out of your mind? :lol:

I have it marked on my license that I have to have my Glasses on and Hearing aids on. in Florida.
but the test itself is the same as hearing people. Not a problem I passed with flying colors

In bold above, down here in Australia, we don't get these, and we should! We keep telling the cops that we are deaf so they are aware of it. Maybe, I should just make a petition then! That idea would have saved our time. Our licences are the same as hearing people hold

Ah Jake? don't you have some initials such as 'W' (meaning wears an hearing-aid) on your licence? ... I have 'SW' on mine ... S for wearing spectacles, plus aid. Must be 'cause I'm from the Smart State. :)

Last edited:
I have a driver's license which on the back said I have lens or glasses, but when I saw on the last comment with an ear and a slash over it(the symbol for deaf). I think that is a great idea to have that symbol for the deaf put in the back of the driver's license. It is also good idea to put the symbol on the monitor in the police car to let them know that we are deaf before approaching us to our cars. It is much safer and easily not misunderstand if we are not responding to police officers. No, it is not a discrimination, because that way it will help the hearing people who don't know about our deafness and how to communicate. I think we need to have a petition or just go to the police station or motor vehicle place and ask if they can have a symbol for the deaf on the back of the card. :ty: for bring that up on the comment you make on the last comment. Good work that you do have one while everyone of us don't have one. :h5:

Good idea but one thing that you all forgot something that would be happen to you or anyone else who have their license stolen or lost and the person or thief will take advantage of your deafness to be robbed, mugged or murder or whatever at home if you guys accept the symbol on your driver's license or license plate... Have you thought of that??? For me, i choose not to use that symbol on my driver's license or license plate to protect ourselves from them!!!!

Good idea but one thing that you all forgot something that would be happen to you or anyone else who have their license stolen or lost and the person or thief will take advantage of your deafness to be robbed, mugged or murder or whatever at home if you guys accept the symbol on your driver's license or license plate... Have you thought of that??? For me, i choose not to use that symbol on my driver's license or license plate to protect ourselves from them!!!!

Hey! I never thought of that .... you're darned right! even though we don't have any symbols on ours down in Oz except for a couple of initials but just found out they will be phasing them out.

Ummm. You got a point about that. I think you are right. I have to keep remember that there are crazy people all over the world. They can not take advantage of us. I don't know what to do with the symbol for the deaf because I like the idea of having it on the back of the license card. Well, we might as well get use the regular license card as usual and put up with police officers on the roads. :ugh3:

I have it marked on my license that I have to have my Glasses on and Hearing aids on. in Florida.
but the test itself is the same as hearing people. Not a problem I passed with flying colors
Same here. I think licenses should have those.

I'd like to see that drivers license with the symbol for deaf on it.

got my lic jut like most people get theirs. passed with flying color :D

Some of deaf don't understand the english or spelling. They had interpreter, myself i had interpreter too. For taking test on computer or paper either. Those question is same as hearing people. And I got License ID, it's look same as hearing's ID. It didn't say I am deaf or handicap or anything at all.

I have a deaf friend who requests to have the "hearing impaired" sticker put on her driver's license when she gets her licenses.. at least she used to. I don't know if she still does that now, but I do remember seeing the blue "hearing impaired" sticker on the back of her old license years ago. I never got one for mine.

Back