Dr. Phil Show Features DeafBlind Triplets who Received CIs

Exactly. Unless the parents mention otherwise, the only thing the parents said they had is that they are deafblind. They didn't say anything else. Nor Dr. Phil, but that's what bad about show businesses. They don't tell the whole story, just bit and pieces that get people riled up. I hope these parents will get more help so these triples can grow up to be independent no matter what their situation is.

I have a mixed opinion on diagnoses. Yes, they do label and pigeon hole people and that is a negative thing. Unfortunately, we have to attach those labels to insure that people get the services they need. The more labels that are attached, the more services become available for that person. It really is a poor way of deciding who gets what services, but it is the way it is done.

The thing is, MOST parents go to any length to get the services they feel their child needs. These parents haven't done that. Instead, they show up on the Dr Phil Show

do you know that for a fact?
do you have any proof that the mother and her husband and the biological father of these triplets didn't try their damnedest for these children
before she end up at Dr Phil show?

Fuzzy

do you know that for a fact?
do you have any proof that the mother and her husband and the biological father of these triplets didn't try their damnedest for these children
before she end up at Dr Phil show?

Fuzzy

I would venture to say that the parents "trying their damndest" is what brought them to the attention of Dr. Phil's producers and the media to begin with. People neglecting their children and leaving them to their own devices don't attract notice of the media.

I watched the Dr Phil programme on the deaf/blind triplets and followup. Don't recall any mention of them being fitted with Cochlear Implants. Seems the Canadian person wasn't allowed to go to them in the Stats, so something was further arranged for them in Dallas Texas. I use Closed captioning-all the time.
My user name here is the actual computer code to his website.
Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

or a school for both deaf and blind... like the one in Staunton, VA

Wel,l VSDB in Staunton has two differnt departmets for the Deaf and the Blind. They are educated separately. However, if the Chandler sisters are any example, they will serve those who are deaf-blind. I say this as a former student at VSDB. I dunno if that's true nowadays due to recent changes regarding the Hampton School for the Deaf.

There are two differnt VSDBs. One in Staunton and one in Hampton. We call the other VSDB Hampton School for the Deaf and it serves those with muliptle disablities. I recall a parent with a deaf blind CI baby who was considering enrolling her daughter in the Hampton School for the Deaf.

In the original programme the person was from Canada in assisting the 3 deaf/blind triplets. Subsequently was refused entry into the USA. The 2nd programme has a person starting a "special school" to deal with the multiple problems rendering ongoing help. It is in Texas. I believe. There is a documentary of them which was shown in part on the Dr Phil programme.
Not to be glib-deaf/blind is a very serious problem to deal with. Seems to me being "deaf "doesn't compare at all.
I use the same user name in VampireFreaks. Com where life is never dull! Cheers
Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria, activated Aug/07

Helen Keller was asked if she could get back either her sight or her hearing which would she choose, and she said hearing. You don't know unless you experience it first hand.

Helen Keller was asked if she could get back either her sight or her hearing which would she choose, and she said hearing. You don't know unless you experience it first hand.

Yeah, I remember her as saying that she'd rather be blind than deaf because "deafness separates you from people", words to that effect.

Yes, you are talking about the Hooker Triplets - Zoe, Sophie and Emma.

I have their mother Liz Hooker on my Facebook.

I have never met them personally... but from what I know, they sound awesome. Liz seems super nice and very dedicated to her daughters.

Subsequent to #148- cochlear implants-the triplets-in todays programme-"behind the scenes"-was a brief shot of one them with an IMPLANT visible. There was no discussion as such. How much an implant made in their lives -to date.

I have seen and personally experienced many things with this family. I have seen one thing that really upsets and worries my soul. These girls have been absolultely without an intervenor for almost 6 months now. She quit because the mother and stepfather did not do their "homework" with the girls....she had to start over each week.....THEY DID NOT FOLLOW UP WITH HER LESSONS AND WORK WITH THE GIRLS. Liz is very much about what makes it easy for her....she has taken the fund and hired 2 full-time baby sitters, instead. These two people are there to wipe their mouths and show them where the cookies, cheetoes and lolipops are...they do bathe them and change them, too. It is just sad, because Emma & Zoe are completely helpless. They do not have any, zero, means of communicating with people....and nobody is trying to do so. They either sit in a swing or in a chair with a lollipop & cheetoes. A school, particularly fo defablind, offers FREE HWLP....they would hve to move to the Chicago ar3ea...but they would be able to have actual life skills!! Liz said no, as she likes it where she is. Working for the foundation is going good.

The little girls father, real father is not out of the picture. He just does not want to ride the media train....he works full time, and provides healthcare, along with a healthy support payment, otherwise known as the house payment. I am sad for the girls...they have no hope and nobody willing to give them what they need. It would alienate them from their mother, and she may keep the girls even more isolated.....as the intervenor got the shaft for showing the same concern. So much more to this story, it is just sad that we all have to ignore the truth...because we may cause lack of support for the girls. What to do.....

thought this needed quoting

The second Dr Phil programme on the deaf blind triplets will be repeated this Friday August 13, 2010. You can access this on Friday from his website: drphil.com
It is not accidental that I am using his computer code drphil as a user name. I use the same in VampireFreaks.com- yeah the goths! Never dull to say the least.
We can easily check how much was talked about-- having the triplets with Cochlear Implants.Cheers
Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07.

Reviewing the programme synopsis there is no discussion re the triplets Implant. There was no discussion of any Implants in the actual programme Oddly enough they were trying to teach ASL. Braille I can understand. The programme was repeated at 3.00pm today. I could see their Implants- as I was watching for them-specially.

His website is"DRPHIL.COM"

Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria- activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Back