Dr. Phil Show Features DeafBlind Triplets who Received CIs

Some people are desperate enough that they don't mind being on TV.

maybe she did mind, but she was desperate for help enough to agree to appear on TV as she had no other choice/s.

Suppose you were walking into walls trying to get help for your children while on your own.

finally when you are at the end of your rope,
someone offers you the best medical, psychological and financial help available, with follow up afterward for your children and you, BUT -
only if you agree to tell your story on TV.

what do you do?

Fuzzy

No. More like an idiot.... :giggle:

Sorry, that was probably in poor taste, but I don't have very much respect for him.

No need to apologize, OB.

I can relate well with you about this *cough* Dr. *cough* because he stirs up unwanted controversy.

These kids are multiply handicapped. They are 10 and still in diapers. Even if they couldn't attend a school for the blind, why couldn't they got to a school for the deaf??
Agreed!
Well the question is HOW affected are they? Are they "pediatric nursing home" multiply handicapped, or are they OK with IQ, but have some physical issues? It is possible to be multiple handicpped and not be "pediatric nursing home" multiple handicapped. However, yes I agree. Multiple kids with multiple disabilites are too much for most people to handle.
Heck, the mom still has to change two of the girl's diapers...

This is too much to bear...I could not do it. Once, I was given a poodle, to find it was blind. I felt I could deal with that.....but a few days later, we realized the dog was deaf also. With the kids and my job and other pets, then the Poodle, it was too much. I gave the Poodle back to the lady, and she was able to find it a good home with an older lady!

Having triplets deaf and blind would entail several people around the clock to care for them. It's too much on 1 person.

Hey Mod. Can you fix this thread please??? I apology for judge Liz. My Bad!! Please Forgive me. I didn't realized about overwhelm with triplets.

Shel, Ooops! My bad! That's sound too much work for them. That's good for them go to blind school. It will change their life get better. I had visited to blind schools few times. I didn't enroll there because I was shy and sensitive. It was young teen kid.

We really dont know what it is like day in and out taking care of triplets with additional needs. We cant judge the mother because I am sure all of us will probably be just as overwhelmed if we were in her shoes. The last thing this mother needs is people calling her names and passing judgements.

These kids are multiply handicapped. They are 10 and still in diapers. Even if they couldn't attend a school for the blind, why couldn't they got to a school for the deaf??

Agreed!
Well the question is HOW affected are they? Are they "pediatric nursing home" multiply handicapped, or are they OK with IQ, but have some physical issues? It is possible to be multiple handicpped and not be "pediatric nursing home" multiple handicapped. However, yes I agree. Multiple kids with multiple disabilites are too much for most people to handle.
Heck, the mom still has to change two of the girl's diapers...

I completely disagree with the assumption that these children are multiply handicapped. They are deaf-blind and developmentally delayed. The developmental delay could have very well not have taken place or been so severe had they been given the proper intervention and had that intervention maintained. At this point, who knows what these children are capable of doing. When I think of these children, Helen Keller comes to mind. Before Annie Sullivan came to be her governess and teacher, she was basically unteachable and unreachable. After Annie Sullivan worked with her, she could and did many wonderful things. All these kids need is the proper intervention and they aren't getting it! That, to me, is a tragedy!!!

I completely disagree with the assumption that these children are multiply handicapped. They are deaf-blind and developmentally delayed. The developmental delay could have very well not have taken place or been so severe had they been given the proper intervention and had that intervention maintained. At this point, who knows what these children are capable of doing. When I think of these children, Helen Keller comes to mind. Before Annie Sullivan came to be her governess and teacher, she was basically unteachable and unreachable. After Annie Sullivan worked with her, she could and did many wonderful things. All these kids need is the proper intervention and they aren't getting it! That, to me, is a tragedy!!!

These triplets are deaf-blind because of their severe prematurity. The likelyhood of them NOT being handicapped in another way is statistically, very very small.

I don't know if being deaf-blind itself is the result of being premature or not because I don't know what are the odds of ALL three of them being deaf-blind unless it is genetic... But I don't even know if they are identical triples or they are born from three different eggs (like what happened to Jon and Kate + 8)

Last edited:
These triplets are deaf-blind because of their severe prematurity. The likelyhood of them NOT being handicapped in another way is statistically, very very small.

And, there is no way to know this due to the fact that there's been no sustained intervention in their lives. That's the point I'm making. We don't know the nature or the origin of these delays, and, as long as these children remain without intervention, they will surely deteriorate further.

That is an utter shame.

I don't know if being deaf-blind itself is the result of being prematurity or not because I don't know what are the odds of ALL three of them being deaf-blind unless it is genetic... But I don't even know if they are identity triples or they are born from three different eggs (like what happened to Jon and Kate + 8)

It really doesn't matter. The point I'm making is that these girls are being neglected and nobody seems to give a damn.

It really doesn't matter. The point I'm making is that these girls are being neglected and nobody seems to give a damn.

I find it hard to believe you can prove neglect and the fact that 'nobody seems to give a damn' from 20 minutes max of excessively edited film footage.

Unless you've been privy to their REAL life (not the life Dr. Phil chose to focus on) AND you know all the facts, accusing as much is unfair.

Why is everyone so quick to shortchange the triplets? Is it merely based on their DeafBlindness, learning disabilities or the fact Dr. Phil broadcasted the girls to the point of shame?

I had visited to blind schools few times. I didn't enroll there because I was shy and sensitive. It was young teen kid.
I know at LSD they now have a program where deaf blind kids get blind intervention.
I think there needs to be programs like that for the Ushers community. (which is sizable)
And, there is no way to know this due to the fact that there's been no sustained intervention in their lives. That's the point I'm making. We don't know the nature or the origin of these delays,
AGREED!!!! Part of their delays might be b/c their issues are too much for one person to handle. Maybe if they got some intervention by trained teachers, they could improve IMMENSELY!!!!!!!! Heck there are some severely multihandicapped kids who when they got proper intervention/technology it was shown that they were smarter then previously thought!

I think there needs to be programs like that for the Ushers community. (which is sizable)
Maybe if they got some intervention by trained teachers, they could improve IMMENSELY!!!!!!!! Heck there are some severely multihandicapped kids who when they got proper intervention/technology it was shown that they were smarter then previously thought!

I wouldn't like to see programs designed for the ushers community.I would like to see programs aimed at the deafblind community.

And why isn't the education system providing each child with one on one teachers aides trained in deafblindness and oralism of deafblind children?

that is sad, I understand really very disappointment. should respect to deaf blind. fair to respect to support to encourage to love heart follow children. because awesome terrible on parents fault. can't blame you chidren. I know right important to communication to strong support and encorage to children. Must parents listen to Dr.Phil truth story is right. Don't be critized to children. because they respect to love children.

Why is everyone so quick to shortchange the triplets? Is it merely based on their DeafBlindness, learning disabilities or the fact Dr. Phil broadcasted the girls to the point of shame?

I hope I'm not one who is shortchanging these children. I, for one, believe they can thrive if given the right intervention. The problem seems to be that the intervention that was started wasn't continued and these children regressed. BUT, that does NOT mean they will remain this way. It only takes one person willing to work with these children and it takes the parents willingness to continue the intervention for meaningful change. It is my sincere hope that this happens for these children.

I find it hard to believe you can prove neglect and the fact that 'nobody seems to give a damn' from 20 minutes max of excessively edited film footage.

Unless you've been privy to their REAL life (not the life Dr. Phil chose to focus on) AND you know all the facts, accusing as much is unfair.

Yes, these children are being neglected. The education of these children isn't being cultivated. They are not performing to their potential and it is NOT the fault of these children. IT IS the fault of someone, however, and that's a shame.

Back