Dr. Phil Show Features DeafBlind Triplets who Received CIs

Hear Again

Reaction score
I heard that today's Dr. Phil show featured the deafblind triplets who received CIs. Did anyone see the show? If so, what did you think? What did the parents say about the triplets' CIs?

Darn, I missed it! I didn't even see the advewrtisement for it coming on! Hope it will air again.

Darn, I missed it! I didn't even see the advewrtisement for it coming on! Hope it will air again.

jillio,

Me too! :( I didn't even know about the show until someone on another forum mentioned it. Dr. Phil airs at 3:00 pm here and by the time I saw that person's post, it was already well past 4:00. :(

I did watch the show but did not know about CI's.
You can read about it on the Dr.Phil.com

Thanks for the website address. Do you know if the website contains full transcripts of each show? I'll have to check the website out later today, but it may not be accessible with my screen reader and Braille display.

I just checked the website and it does not have any transcripts.

I also noticed this quote from the website: "George helps share the burden, but now wonders what he got himself into." What kind of a statement is that?? :pissed:

Sure, it may take more commitment to raise a deafblind child (or in their case, triplets), but this responsibility shouldn't be thought of as a "burden."

I just checked the website and it does not have any transcripts.

I also noticed this quote from the website: "George helps share the burden, but now wonders what he got himself into." What kind of a statement is that?? :pissed:

Sure, it may take more commitment to raise a deafblind child (or in their case, triplets), but this responsibility shouldn't be thought of as a "burden."

Did you click on the "see a day in their life" link? It gives some more information about their situation. It's a sort of slideshow with text.

I agree with you, "burden" is a horrible word to use about any child.

R2D2,

I just clicked on that link and read the information.

I can't imagine how devastating it must have been for this family to find out their children were deafblind. :(

I was especially struck by the mother's comment, "It was like getting hit by a Mac truck. I just fell to the floor and just wanted to disappear. I just couldn’t believe that this had happened to my babies."

It will be interesting to see the progress these triplets make as they grow older.

I know Hear Again,
While a lot of conditions that cause deafblindness can be really extreme, deafblindness on its own isn't that big of a deal. But then again, males tend to not accept disablity as much as females for some reason.
If I had a deafblind (just deafblind) kid, I wouldn't even blink. Physical disabilites are just SO much easier to live with and adapt to, then mental ones.

That is some story.I cant imagine doing that every day. Why is it that many-not all-but many men walk away from hard times with their children. I could never! My son was born 6 weeks early my water broke at 6 1/2 months and was on bedrest for 28 days that made all the difference in his progress before he was born. Im going to say a special prayer and thank god for what could have been but was spared! Wow! I hope they air it again,i made no mention of CI's in the little day in the life though.

I know Hear Again,
While a lot of conditions that cause deafblindness can be really extreme, deafblindness on its own isn't that big of a deal. But then again, males tend to not accept disablity as much as females for some reason.
If I had a deafblind (just deafblind) kid, I wouldn't even blink. Physical disabilites are just SO much easier to live with and adapt to, then mental ones.

deafdyke,

I agree with you 100%. :)

I've had people tell me how sorry they were that I was deafblind. I respond by telling them there's nothing to be sorry about -- I'm completely happy with my life. I go onto explain that my deafblindness is a normal part of who I am and doesn't make me any different, better than or less than anyone else. :)

Hear Again; yep I dont want people feeling sorry for me either. My mother -in law actually said "oh I could never go deaf " well I didnt have a choice in the matter and what is the alternative? It is who we are. I think you are just a stronger person with a better attitude than alot of people are though.

Hear Again; yep I dont want people feeling sorry for me either. My mother -in law actually said "oh I could never go deaf " well I didnt have a choice in the matter and what is the alternative? It is who we are. I think you are just a stronger person with a better attitude than alot of people are though.

Tami Sam,

When people say things like that to me, I tell them, "You don't know how you would react. You only *think* you know. If you were to suddenly lose your hearing and/or vision, you'd probably adapt better to the situation than you might think."

If you would have met me 11 years ago when I lost my hearing, you would have met a *very* angry and depressed person. Losing my hearing was one of the most difficult experiences of my life because of how it impacted communication, mobility and daily living.

However, once I began to learn alternative communication and mobility skills, my attitude began to change. I also had the opportunity to meet a wonderful deafblind woman who said to me, "Deafblindness is a 24/7 disability. That means you're going to experience alot of frustration on a daily basis. You can either choose to live life by finding a way around your limitations or be angry about something you can't change."

From that day on, I began to accept my deafblindness and to look at it in a positive way.

I feel badly for people who have difficulty coping with a disability. I wish they could be as strong as I am, but I realize we all have our own road to travel when it comes to acceptance.

I've had people tell me how sorry they were that I was deafblind. I respond by telling them there's nothing to be sorry about -- I'm completely happy with my life. I go onto explain that my deafblindness is a normal part of who I am and doesn't make me any different, better than or less than anyone else.
Indeed. Although I'm not deaf blind, I do have a multiple handicap disorder (hoh with bunch of other things) I've got the "Oh it must be so horrible to be deaf", but then again I've gotten the "You're disabled?!?! response from people who I've grown up with. I remember I used to think that I wanted to be hearing, but now realize that I was just not accepting the fact that I was "different." My being hoh is just who I am....Just like my friend Nancia is Greek, I am hoh.
Ever get the "I'll pray for you." people?

deafdyke,

Oh gosh -- yes!! This happens to me from time to time when I ride the city bus. :roll:

When I come across someone like this, I ask them to pray for those who really need it (such as children who go without food or proper medical attention).

They usually respond by saying, "But you're blind. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I couldn't see." :ugh3:

With the negative stereotypes that are portrayed in the media, it's no wonder some of these people feel the way they do about deafness, blindness and other physical disabilities.

In case you didn't see them, there are 3 additional links about George and Liz (scroll to the bottom of the page):

"You know what I thought? I thought, I'm going to save the day."

"There are two heroes whom God has given those little girls."

"See the surprises Dr. Phil has for George and Liz!"

I think its b/c they equate disabilty with inabilty.
They don't really see that us being deaf/blind/whatever is basicly like them being female or male. Its not a bad thing or a good thing.........it just is.
Well granted that there's good stuff about being blind. I'd think that the number of blind and low vision racists is prolly very small :)
And of course there's the fact that when we dhh folks don't like sound, we can just turn it off!

Deafdyke: I have gotten the "Oh, I'm so sorry. I'll pray for you!" Or "Oh you poor thing, I'll say a prayer for you, is that okay, sweetie?" Uhh? Like I'm gonna stop them from praying? [shakes head] I just tell them "Uh thx but I'm fine, I'm happy and doing well, what IS there to be sorry about? How about feeling sorry for something much worse than me being Deaf!" [sigh]

People sure are. . . weird. :P

Back