Don't you hate it when hearing people being ignorant about deaf customers?

MetroGuy03

Reaction score
Are you?

This morning, I called Rudy's (hair salon) to see if they have some time available for me to walk in and get my haircut though Sorension Video Relay Service (SVRS).

-The video relay interpreter explained to the man, "Nick" how SVRS works...

-Nick: Can I help you?

-Me: This is Joshua, and I want to see if you have any time availiable for me to walk in and get haircut?

-Nick: NO! WE DON'T ACCEPT ANY APPOINTMENT! (Hang on me).

-Both SVRS interpreter and I were like WOW RUDE!

I decided to go straight to Rudy's which is two blocks away from me and get blunt with Nick. I wrote it down on the paper and said...

"Nick,

I don't apperciate your rude behavior when I called you and see if you have any time available for me to walk in and get a haircut. I didn't ask to make an appointment just walk in. I would apperciate if you could be nicer and inform me what is better time for me to walk in and get a haircut.

After I gave Nick and a co-worker this note with angry face. Nick and co-worker reads this... They were like wow... and asked me when did it happened? I said 10 minutes ago.

Nick wrote it down and said to me,

I am sorry, after I respond and I didn't hear any sound and thought I hang on him so he hang on me.

I said to him...

Really? Are you aware that deaf people can't hear phone conversation and we, deaf people depends on Sorension Video Relay Service to translate for people who can hear for us? It requires a while for each other's respond. Next time, please try wait for a while for respond

Nick wrote this...

Oh okay I am really sorry and I didn't know... I want to tell you that you can get a haircut right now. Sorry about that.

I told him

No worries! :)

I'm glad I got that straight out and now Rudy's workers are educated about deaf customers. Of course, I got a haircut too and love my new hairstyle! :)

If anyone have similar situations... You should go straight to them and get blunt with them and explain to them.

Good for you, MetroGuy! Nick has learned a very valuable lesson today.

Are you?

This morning, I called Rudy's (hair salon) to see if they have some time available for me to walk in and get my haircut though Sorension Video Relay Service (SVRS).

-The video relay interpreter explained to the man, "Nick" how SVRS works...

-Nick: Can I help you?

-Me: This is Joshua, and I want to see if you have any time availiable for me to walk in and get haircut?

-Nick: NO! WE DON'T ACCEPT ANY APPOINTMENT! (Hang on me).

-Both SVRS interpreter and I were like WOW RUDE!

I decided to go straight to Rudy's which is two blocks away from me and get blunt with Nick. I wrote it down on the paper and said...

"Nick,

I don't apperciate your rude behavior when I called you and see if you have any time available for me to walk in and get a haircut. I didn't ask to make an appointment just walk in. I would apperciate if you could be nicer and inform me what is better time for me to walk in and get a haircut.

After I gave Nick and a co-worker this note with angry face. Nick and co-worker reads this... They were like wow... and asked me when did it happened? I said 10 minutes ago.

Nick wrote it down and said to me,

I am sorry, after I respond and I didn't hear any sound and thought I hang on him so he hang on me.

I said to him...

Really? Are you aware that deaf people can't hear phone conversation and we, deaf people depends on Sorension Video Relay Service to translate for people who can hear for us? It requires a while for each other's respond. Next time, please try wait for a while for respond

Nick wrote this...

Oh okay I am really sorry and I didn't know... I want to tell you that you can get a haircut right now. Sorry about that.

I told him

No worries! :)

I'm glad I got that straight out and now Rudy's workers are educated about deaf customers. Of course, I got a haircut too and love my new hairstyle! :)

If anyone have similar situations... You should go straight to them and get blunt with them and explain to them.

Good thing you went to them and got blunt with them, but to my own POV, i think Nick has never been approached to a deaf person before, and it would have been their first time, but I am glad that they have learnt an valuabe lesson today like jillio has mentioned earlier and Nick would be more aware next time when a deaf person comes up. :) Good on you, MetroGuy03

Thought SVRS? Gee that is rare. Almost never happens to me though VRS... This happens to me all the time with other types of relay especially IP relay.

Good thing you went to them and got blunt with them, but to my own POV, i think Nick has never been approached to a deaf person before, and it would have been their first time, but I am glad that they have learnt an valuabe lesson today like jillio has mentioned earlier and Nick would be more aware next time when a deaf person comes up. :) Good on you, MetroGuy03

Yeah It is obvious that Nick never been approached to a deaf person before. Nick felt really bad about it and kept apolopizing. I forgave him and understood that he never met a deaf person before. Glad I got that work out.

Yeah It is obvious that Nick never been approached to a deaf person before. Nick felt really bad about it and kept apolopizing. I forgave him and understood that he never met a deaf person before. Glad I got that work out.

Yeah, that's a good thing and next time, Nick wouldn't have a problem with you and the other deaf people in the near future :)

Thought SVRS? Gee that is rare. Almost never happens to me though VRS... This happens to me all the time with other types of relay especially IP relay.

Yes. I agree that is very rare. It was my first time to happen to me like that on SVRS. Its always happened to me when I used to use ip-relay or tty relay services. I stopped using it since it isn't worth it anymore.

Yeah. I think Nick will treat deaf people same as he wants to be treated.

Yeah, he would.

And also in your other quote... the TTY and IP relay, one day few weeks ago, I contacted something about cell phone via IP relay on my MSN messenger, I was having a conversaton about the new Sidekick 3 which I have now - I was shocked when the IP relay officer just cut me off and went offline aruptly - which was so rude, so I had to use the TTY relay service to continue the discussion.... remember TTY is still existing in our lives for now...

Yeah, he would.

And also in your other quote... the TTY and IP relay, one day few weeks ago, I contacted something about cell phone via IP relay on my MSN messenger, I was having a conversaton about the new Sidekick 3 which I have now - I was shocked when the IP relay officer just cut me off and went offline aruptly - which was so rude, so I had to use the TTY relay service to continue the discussion.... remember TTY is still existing in our lives for now...

You should call again and ask to speak to the manager. I did that once and got someone fired from that. At that time, that person typed with horrible english grammar which I couldnt' read or understand it at all. I explained to the manager what happened and he looked at this conversation... He saw how bad typer that person was and got rid of that person.

You should call again and ask to speak to the manager. I did that once and got someone fired from that. At that time, that person typed with horrible english grammar which I couldnt' read or understand it at all. I explained to the manager what happened and he looked at this conversation... He saw how bad typer that person was and got rid of that person.

Good advice, MetroGuy03.. I would take that into consideration but really, the IP relay in Australia is pretty new and it has not been lauched just yet... will be this weekend so if it happens again and I will speak with the supervisor! :D

Good advice, MetroGuy03.. I would take that into consideration but really, the IP relay in Australia is pretty new and it has not been lauched just yet... will be this weekend so if it happens again and I will speak with the supervisor! :D

Good idea. :)

Gee, what sort of techonolgies do you have in America now? I see that you have VRS, TTY, IP Relay, and VP? Is that all? And to add sidekick too

Gee, what sort of techonolgies do you have in America now? I see that you have VRS, TTY, IP Relay, and VP? Is that all? And to add sidekick too

That's correct. I don't use TTY or Ip-relay anymore. I use SVRS all the time when I call to make an appointments, interviews, talk to my relatives/friends, order food, and ask some questions to some services like Rudy's.

I don't use sidekick anymore. I hate them. I use MDA now and I do text message to communciate with both deaf and hearing people.

thanks for sharing your experience and got it solved. :) I rarely use svrs because I don't make calls much.

That's correct. I don't use TTY or Ip-relay anymore. I use SVRS all the time when I call to make an appointments, interviews, talk to my relatives/friends, order food, and ask some questions to some services like Rudy's.

I don't use sidekick anymore. I hate them. I use MDA now and I do text message to communciate with both deaf and hearing people.

It is quite interesting that in Australia, we don't have the VP phones.....yet... it is developed in Melbourne at the moment as we speak and they are negiating with the government for funds to sell them to the deaf community around australia.. for me I'd love to have one of these! TTY is definitely old fashioned now!

It is quite interesting that in Australia, we don't have the VP phones.....yet... it is developed in Melbourne at the moment as we speak and they are negiating with the government for funds to sell them to the deaf community around australia.. for me I'd love to have one of these! TTY is definitely old fashioned now!

Are you serious!?!? Wow your country sure somewhat fall behind of modern technology. :( I think any country should recieve modern technologies at same time as they release.

Back