Dog stands guard over deceased owner’s grave for six years

rockin'robin

Reaction score
An extremely dedicated dog has continued to show its loyalty, keeping watch on its owner's grave six years after he passed away.

Capitan, a German shepherd, reportedly ran away from home after its owner, Miguel Guzman, died in 2006. A week later, the Guzman family found the dog sitting by his grave in central Argentina.

Miguel Guzman adopted Capitan in 2005 as a gift for his teenage son, Damian. And for the past six years, Capitan has continued to stand guard at Miguel's grave. The family says the dog rarely leaves the site.

"We searched for him, but he had vanished," widow Veronica Guzman told LaVoz.com. "We thought he must have got run over and died.

'The following Sunday we went to the cemetery, and Damian recognized his pet. Capitan came up to us, barking and wailing as if he were crying."

Adding to the unusual circumstances, Veronica says the family never brought Capitan to the cemetery before he was discovered there.

"It is a mystery how he managed to find the place," she said.

Cemetery director Hector Baccega says he and his staff have begun feeding and taking care of Capitan.

He turned up here one day, all on his own, and started wandering all around the cemetery until he eventually found the tomb of his master," Baccega said.

"During the day he sometimes has a walk around the cemetery, but always rushes back to the grave. And every day, at six o'clock sharp, he lies down on top of the grave, stays there all night."

But the Guzman family hasn't abandoned Capitan. Damian says the family has tried to bring Capitan home several times but that he always returns to the cemetery on his own.

"I think he's going to be there until he dies, too. He's looking after my dad," he said.

He turned up here one day, all on his own, and started wandering all around the cemetery until he eventually found the tomb of his master," Baccega said.

"During the day he sometimes has a walk around the cemetery, but always rushes back to the grave. And every day, at six o'clock sharp, he lies down on top of the grave, stays there all night."

But the Guzman family hasn't abandoned Capitan. Damian says the family has tried to bring Capitan home several times but that he always returns to the cemetery on his own.

"I think he's going to be there until he dies, too. He's looking after my dad," he said.

Dog stands guard over deceased owner

Animals are just better than people. How ironic, we spent millions of dollars trying to prove that animals are stupid and have no real emotions, and yet they can teach us something new every day about what it means to be human.

Laura

Animals are just better than people. How ironic, we spent millions of dollars trying to prove that animals are stupid and have no real emotions, and yet they can teach us something new every day about what it means to be human.

Laura

How true!...My own doggie has a really funny personality, and she smiles and also giggles and snorts....And at 10 lbs., she does have a fercious bark...she's scared quite a few people who came too close to my car....One very big man learned that lesson yesterday, and he almost jumped out of his skin...and when he saw my doggie, he started laughing so hard...he said...That dog scared the shyt out of me!

Love this story RR. Before I got Marley I never understood the connection "dog people" have with their dogs. I would be lost without Marley. These people who say dogs can not understand our language are so wrong. She has been with me every step of the way on my healing journey and has never left my side. She even has to get in the shower with me!!

Wirelessly posted

dogs are very smart and loyal animals this dog cared very much for its owner I had a dog who actually saved my life I was walking through the woods one day my dog honey got infront of me and wouldn't let me move about 6 ft away was a rattle snake honey kept me from getting bit and also was at a friends house his son got out the house and was almost at the road when his dog grabed him by the dipper and brought him back

I just think it is amazing what dogs can do. One night I needed to be on my oxygen so I slept in my recliner. I guess during my sleep I knock the hose away from my nose and started breathing strange. Marley, all 4lbs of her, went to the bottom of the stairs and barked and barked until my hubby heard her and came downstairs, she has never done this before. After that I had even more confidence that she wouod help me if I got in trouble. I love these stories about our dogs and how loyal they are.

This reminds me of a movie called greyfrairs bobby. Not sure if I even spelled it rite. Very powerful loyal beings dogs are that's why I cannot live without one or I am incomplete always been this way in my life

How true!...My own doggie has a really funny personality, and she smiles and also giggles and snorts....And at 10 lbs., she does have a fercious bark...she's scared quite a few people who came too close to my car....One very big man learned that lesson yesterday, and he almost jumped out of his skin...and when he saw my doggie, he started laughing so hard...he said...That dog scared the shyt out of me!

That happen with Marty too! I was out with my dog and Marty started barking at a big dog and the owner jumped but when she saw how small Marty was she laughed. Marty bark is big for a small dog.

Laura

And yet, we kill millions everyday. Makes you wonder who has it right...Humans or Animals.

I would be lost without my Charlie.

Before him I had an amazing dog name Benji. I got really sick one year; to the point I had to have in home health care come out and take care of me. Benji never left my side and always had to make sure he could see me. Even if I was just going 3 ft way, he had to make sure I was in sight. I would pass out a lot and one day the nurse found me face down on the floor shivering completely out of it...with Benji on top of me trying to keep me warm. I miss him so much...he passed away the day after Christmas 5 years ago due to cancer. He was my best friend and the hero of my heart.

And yet, we kill millions everyday. Makes you wonder who has it right...Humans or Animals.

I know, if only pet owners where more responsible and got their dogs and cats fixed and people took the time to make sure they're getting a dog they can afforded to care for and a breed they can handle. I can't stand it when people get a cute little puppy that could grow up to be a 100 lbs dog And the poor dog is given to the shelter because it too big.

RR, is there a way to get an update on this story? Just wondering about Captain....

RR, is there a way to get an update on this story? Just wondering about Captain....

Not sure, Tousi....as this was in Argentina...and the story reads the dog's name as "Capitan"...not "Captain"...perhaps checking the link from the story might work?....

Not sure, Tousi....as this was in Argentina...and the story reads the dog's name as "Capitan"...not "Captain"...perhaps checking the link from the story might work?....

I clicked on the link and went to the bottom and lo & behold, there's yet another story about a different dog's loyalty!

I clicked on the link and went to the bottom and lo & behold, there's yet another story about a different dog's loyalty!

Goes to show that dogs are more loyal than our human partners...ehh?...

there statue built to this lovely dog called bobby in glasgow i think...the dog sat on its owners grave for years until it died

and cats do it also

Cats also like to eat (taste) you right after you die. (it's true you can look it up) It's a survivor thing with cats but I still love them anyway. Heck, I'm dead what will I know of it. LOL

But animals as a whole are completely amazing! Animals tell the truth they never lie and they will love you no matter how awful you look in the morning or how bad your breath smells. They are just happy to be with the people they love most.

I just think it is amazing what dogs can do. One night I needed to be on my oxygen so I slept in my recliner. I guess during my sleep I knock the hose away from my nose and started breathing strange. Marley, all 4lbs of her, went to the bottom of the stairs and barked and barked until my hubby heard her and came downstairs, she has never done this before. After that I had even more confidence that she wouod help me if I got in trouble. I love these stories about our dogs and how loyal they are.

I read a book about amazing animals ,I wish I could remember the title of the book. There was one story about the owner not being able to find his dog . He looked everywhere and the last place he looked was the meat storage room.
Sadly it was too late his dog had dies and the room was filled with meat the dog could had eaten to stay alive. The dog was so loyal to his master that he did not eat his meat. This is so amazing the dog had a room full of food yet he loved his master so much he chose to dies instead of disobeying his master. what a heartbreaking story.

Back