Dog Drags Newborn From Crib

rockin'robin

Reaction score
LEXINGTON, Ky. — A newborn baby was hospitalized in critical condition after being taken from his crib and carried outside his central Kentucky home by a family dog, authorities said Tuesday.

The infant, Alexander James Smith, is just a few days old and had been put in his crib for a nap Monday afternoon. When his parents looked outside later, they saw their pet, a 4-year-old mixed breed called a Native American Indian dog, holding the baby in his mouth, said Jessamine County chief deputy sheriff Allen Peel.

The baby's father, Michael Smith, rushed outside and chased the dog into a wooded area behind the home near Nicholasville, just south of Lexington. It took the father about 10 minutes to recover his son about 200 yards behind the home, Peel said.

"It's unreal," Peel said.

The baby was taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital in Lexington, where he was listed in critical condition early Tuesday. Peel said the baby suffered multiple punctures and bruises.

The dog, named Dakota, was taken by local animal control officials and was being quarantined.

No charges have been filed, and the case remains under investigation, Peel said.

LEXINGTON, Ky. — A newborn baby was hospitalized in critical condition after being taken from his crib and carried outside his central Kentucky home by a family dog, authorities said Tuesday.

The infant, Alexander James Smith, is just a few days old and had been put in his crib for a nap Monday afternoon. When his parents looked outside later, they saw their pet, a 4-year-old mixed breed called a Native American Indian dog, holding the baby in his mouth, said Jessamine County chief deputy sheriff Allen Peel.

The baby's father, Michael Smith, rushed outside and chased the dog into a wooded area behind the home near Nicholasville, just south of Lexington. It took the father about 10 minutes to recover his son about 200 yards behind the home, Peel said.

"It's unreal," Peel said.

The baby was taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital in Lexington, where he was listed in critical condition early Tuesday. Peel said the baby suffered multiple punctures and bruises.

The dog, named Dakota, was taken by local animal control officials and was being quarantined.

No charges have been filed, and the case remains under investigation, Peel said.

Newborns and family pets don't mix. I spent the first year protecting the baby from the dog, then a couple of years protecting the dog from the baby. It all works out. Child and dog are good friends now.

Sad! Hope sends the dog to be someplace safe! :(

Not the dog`s fault at all.

It the parents`fault because they left the newborn unattended with the dog, period. A responsible parent knows to never leave a newborn unattended with a pet, a toddler or a elderly person of diminished mental capacity. The same goes for a person of diminished mental capacity, they are not to be left alone with a newborn, toddler or a small child.

To punish a pet because of their natural instincts is tragic because the dog perceives it as a puppy with its crying.

Oh wow, dogs are not supposed be in room that where babies are in crib.

Not the dog`s fault at all.

It the parents`fault because they left the newborn unattended with the dog, period. A responsible parent knows to never leave a newborn unattended with a pet, a toddler or a elderly person of diminished mental capacity. The same goes for a person of diminished mental capacity, they are not to be left alone with a newborn, toddler or a small child.

To punish a pet because of their natural instincts is tragic because the dog perceives it as a puppy with its crying.

Some parents are unaware or not know about safety issue when put dogs in room that where babies are in crib, I can't blame on parent because it could happen without any knowledge, in some cases, some dogs are not risky to babies in crib.

Some parents are unaware or not know about safety issue when put dogs in room that where babies are in crib, I can't blame on parent because it could happen without any knowledge, in some cases, some dogs are not risky to babies in crib.
let's tattoo warning labels on dogs. looks like we have too...

Newborns and family pets don't mix. I spent the first year protecting the baby from the dog, then a couple of years protecting the dog from the baby. It all works out. Child and dog are good friends now.

:thumb:

perfect example of how it should be. Exhausting yes. Rewarding in the end? absolutely. Newborns and babies in their first couple years are very rough to family pet because they will bite, grab, etc. During their first couple years, they learn better from their parents on how to handle with family pets.

ALL dogs and cats and any animals are risky to babies in crib, no matter how docile, lovely, and/or calm they are. Even human...

Never crossed my mind about dogs hurting infants....most cases, they are protective of the family/child. Altho', it's a different opinion I have, regarding Pit Bulls, I would never leave my baby or my children around them!

I've heard negative about Cats, tho'. Whether it's true or not, Cats should never be left alone with babies because of milk on the babies breath. Cats will get into the crib/basinette and try to suck the milk from the babies mouths.

ALL dogs and cats and any animals are risky to babies in crib, no matter how docile, lovely, and/or calm they are. Even human...

I'm sorry that you don't get my point.

No animal can be trusted around babies I do blame the parents

aww hope the baby is getting better and okay. =(

I dont trust any pets. I did put the cover net attched to the crib to keep my cats out. I know my cats are very sweet. BUT you never know what's up with my cats' minds. one of my cats were trying to get in the crib so bad!!!! He likes the corner of the crib that keeps him warm. Until my kids hit 1 year old and know how to moves herself/himself like grabbing real hard. So i opened the net and let cat come in. So far it was good. My cat waited till my kids fell asleep then climb into it.

Similar story as Azaria Chamberlain's in back in early 1980s with a Dingo (Australian wild dog) took a 6 weeks old baby Azaria from Ayer Rock camping and her body was never found, and her mother Lindy went to Jail and a few years later her jumper suit was found nearby at Ayers Rock, she was freed and sue the Australian Government.

The rule of thumb is that if you have children under 5 in your home, you should avoid getting a pet as young children, especially toddlers may not understand why they must treat the dog with respect.

However this doesn't mean that if you already have a pet, you should get rid of it.

There are precautions you should take.

If you are expecting and you have a pet in the house, begin allowing the dog to sniff the baby stuff, and to carry around a baby doll with you and tend to it just as you would with a real baby. If the dog shows aggression, nip it in the bud with firm discipline and never allow the child and dog to be in the same room unattended. It is absolutely imparative that you have a way of barricading or confining the dog to a limited space while the child is awake and playing, when the child is sleeping, place the child in a crib, and put up a tall baby gate in the door way to keep the dog from entering the nursery.

If your dog isn't up on his/her basic obedience, I VERY HIGHLY recommend that you enroll yourself and your dog into a six-week basic obedience class BEFORE the baby comes, preferably during the first trimester, and if possible, continue that training into an advanced basic obedience class so that the dog can be 'polished' and the commands reinforced to the point it is second nature.

As your child grows and begins to explore, allow them to 'explore' the dog but closely monitored. Before this can even begin, you MUST have your dog in a calm submissive state, laying on the floor, before the child can approach the animal. Do not allow the dog to lick, or nibble the child - this is NOT affection, it is really a sign of disrespect. A dog that respects its owner does not lick them. The dog needs to know it must NEVER put it's mouth around any part of the child. If it starts showing signs of excitement, remove the dog and confine it to a quiet spot. The signs of excitement start long before the jumping, barking and running around. The dog will sit up, pant and slobber excessively, and rapidly wag it's tail. This is controlled excitement, but it is excitement nonetheless that can go out of control if not checked.

Toddlers must be reinforced daily that they should NEVER pull on the dog's ears or tail. You may have to tell your toddler they can only touch certain parts of the dogs body, mainly the back and chest areas, leaving the head, tail, and feet off limits. If they begin to rough house, separate the two before someone gets offended and someone gets bitten.

Preschoolers and older children should be taught on hosw to handlt the family dog by yes,taking another obedience class, only this time the children will learn how to handle the dog ranging from the basic commands, to the walk, to disciplining the dog.

You must also establish and maintain pack order where the parents are at the top, the children in the middle, and the pets at the bottom.

Remember, no dog ever died of discipline, dogs only die to disease, and bad owners.

Sad! Hope sends the dog to be someplace safe! :(

I think the dog is going to be killed! What a shame! Why sisters' baby was attacked by her cat! My niece was on a bed and I was watching her while her mom did some house work. My sister's cat had some kittens and the cat saw my niece waving her little arms around and for some reason the cat came fly at the baby from another room ,I did not hear the cat but I was able to get the cat off baby before it really harm the baby! I am so glad I was right beside my niece when this happen! The cat thought the baby was going to harm her kittens ,the cat had no idea what the baby was! Youcan't leave a baby alone with animals!

Never crossed my mind about dogs hurting infants....most cases, they are protective of the family/child. Altho', it's a different opinion I have, regarding Pit Bulls, I would never leave my baby or my children around them!

I've heard negative about Cats, tho'. Whether it's true or not, Cats should never be left alone with babies because of milk on the babies breath. Cats will get into the crib/basinette and try to suck the milk from the babies mouths.

I heard that is an old wife tale about cat sucking milk from baby!

i heard about it too. i think it's an old wives tales. Bbbbuutt, cats can sit on baby's face or tummy put cats paws on baby's face or tummy. My cats do that to me all the time. so i could have picture that baby is too small for cats and can be helpless when cats only look for comfortable or warm over baby. :( That's why i had a baby crib tent. It gave me peace of mind when i went to bed or i did my errands while babies were sleeping under the cover.

Back