Does you pet know your deaf?

Isadora

Reaction score
I once had a rescue cat which understood that I was hearing (a little) only from my left ear, so whenever she wanted to jump on my lap or on the table where I was sitting, she'd approach me from my left side.

My current cat has never noticed that her mommy's hearing is not 100% functional, and she's been with us for 3 years. However, since she is scared by strangers, whenever I am expecting guests I make sure she's with me because as soon as she hears the door buzzer she runs away scared. :applause:

I totally get that, my cat Boogers knows to wait to meow at me in the mornings after I put my hearing aids in. My cat Spaz just wakes me up in the morning my pawing at my face instead of meowing

I once had a rescue cat which understood that I was hearing (a little) only from my left ear, so whenever she wanted to jump on my lap or on the table where I was sitting, she'd approach me from my left side.

My current cat has never noticed that her mommy's hearing is not 100% functional, and she's been with us for 3 years. However, since she is scared by strangers, whenever I am expecting guests I make sure she's with me because as soon as she hears the door buzzer she runs away scared. :applause:
LOL! That is very funny about your cat ,you should set your phone to ring like a doorbell then you will know you're getting a call too.

My cat use to meow at me but now she just mouths at me. Her mouth opens no sound comes out. When she does meow, it is very loud and normally right in my face. She does lead me to what she wants. If she wants food, she flags me down and takes me to the food bag. If I don't follow her, she starts "screaming " at me.

That's kind of genius.
I had a cat and he would jump before my landline phone even ringed , the first time he did this I had no idea what was wrong until the phone ring. This was way before there were cell phones .

My mother told me once whenever the door bell rings, both the cat and I go running into the other room together....

One time I was talking with one of my cats who was meowing about something. I said "you know, without my hearing aids, I hear nothing. So I have no idea what you want." She had a strange expression on her face, then she leaned in close to me and screamed "Meow!" directly into my ear....I think cats anyway, can figure it out.

Laura

Pets are indeed VERY interesting when it comes to this. Here is a unexpected one from my old client's pets.

She has two medium-large dogs and they are used to waking up with their owner by barking in the morning so "normal" behaviors so far right?

But fast forward to when I slept the FIRST night there and guess what they did to wake up me as a deaf/blind individual? By gently patting their paws on my back/side until I was able to realize that they needed to go out to do their businesses.

Me and the owner was amazed at how these dogs "out of no where" accommodated me rather than leaving me a nasty "present" on the ground/carpet. :)

This just proves that animals can be MORE intelligent than your "average Joe" where the "general" public won't TYPICALLY do this (or PROPERLY). :)

My cat on the other hand, yea we can't get why she so disrespectful to me only... :confused:

Yep, my furbaby knows I'm Deaf. She do paws me for attention, if she wants to get groomed she paws her brush on the table. Most of time if I fallen asleep she would do thumper jump on couch to wake me up or quietly jump up and curl up.

Can't say I'm 100% positive my doggie knows I am totally deaf...but she does lick my leg when she wants to go out...whenever the door bell rings?...she barks, runs back and forth...looks at me and barks and barks...If I'm sleeping and someone comes to the door...she jumps up and down on the bed, barking the whole time...the shaking does wake me up....She will not allow Nobody to touch me while I am sleeping...LOL...*stands guard*...and she can be a snarling, growling little Lady about it.

I forgot to add. My furbaby is also a "guard cat". Esp she get up quickly from her sleep and listen for the sound and walked toward the sound then she sit down or standing up like an meerkat.

Back