Does CI affect some nerves?

are you doing it to banjo or in a general you dont believe because you have not heard anything?
"doing it to Banjo". .. Is this kindergarden?
You cannot damage nerves to the arm when operating a CI...

Banjo is a big boy.. He will have no problem explaining how a nerve to the arm is damaged while operating on CI..

"doing it to Banjo". .. Is this kindergarden?
You cannot damage nerves to the arm when operating a CI...

Banjo is a big boy.. He will have no problem explaining how a nerve to the arm is damaged while operating on CI..

I am under the impression that you are doing it on purpose by giving banjo a hard time when you knew the fact that surgery can happen anything is possible. Sadly, several kids who had surgery for CI and unfortunately that doctors performed mistakely and kids' residual hearing is gone and some forms of inside ears are gone therefore CI didnt work at all. what a waste when the kids HAd some residual hearing. SAD. Like i said doctors are not god or perfect.

I am under the impression that you are doing it on purpose by giving banjo a hard time when you knew the fact that surgery can happen anything is possible. Sadly, several kids who had surgery for CI and unfortunately that doctors performed mistakely and kids' residual hearing is gone and some forms of inside ears are gone therefore CI didnt work at all. what a waste when the kids HAd some residual hearing. SAD. Like i said doctors are not god or perfect.
You would be under that impression, or at least do your very best to insinuate it.. You are wrong..

But I don't give wrong information to other people. And if I see information that is wrong, I - and you - should challenge it..
Spreading misinformation is the lowest one can do..

To get back to the topic..
The main question was "Does CI affect some nerves?" and that is a BIG yes... That's the whole purpose of CI. To stimulate a nerve. And it does it well..

Sometimes, other nerves are stimulated as well. With the correct mapping this can be prevented.
Sometimes during surgery other facial nerves are touched, even though they are well monitored. This can cause strange tastes or lack of tast. Or visual things...
BUT... there are no nerves that go to any other pars of the body in the middle ear. Nerves go out from the spine. Nerves to the arms do not go via the inner ear..

Anestesia is a risk.. But that's with any surgery..
If something would happen due to this, it has nothing to do with CI surgery.. The same could happen with some other surgery or investigation that would involve aesthetics...

You would be under that impression, or at least do your very best to insinuate it.. You are wrong.

But I don't give wrong information to other people. And if I see information that is wrong, I - and you - should challenge it.

Spreading misinformation is the lowest one can do.

9/11 conspiracy theories. Now that is spreading misinformation.

9/11 conspiracy theories. Now that is spreading misinformation.
A conspiracy theory is the first theory after the first official theory... What's your point?.
(And show me misinformation.. )

You would be under that impression, or at least do your very best to insinuate it.. You are wrong..

But I don't give wrong information to other people. And if I see information that is wrong, I - and you - should challenge it..
Spreading misinformation is the lowest one can do..

To get back to the topic..
The main question was "Does CI affect some nerves?" and that is a BIG yes... That's the whole purpose of CI. To stimulate a nerve. And it does it well..

Sometimes, other nerves are stimulated as well. With the correct mapping this can be prevented.
Sometimes during surgery other facial nerves are touched, even though they are well monitored. This can cause strange tastes or lack of tast. Or visual things...
BUT... there are no nerves that go to any other pars of the body in the middle ear. Nerves go out from the spine. Nerves to the arms do not go via the inner ear..

Anestesia is a risk.. But that's with any surgery..
If something would happen due to this, it has nothing to do with CI surgery.. The same could happen with some other surgery or investigation that would involve aesthetics...

OK. Just consider yourself a lucky and be grateful that your girl is in a good hand by doctor, but not other kids with lousy doctors. Please think of others children who are unfortunately lost it.

A conspiracy theory is the first theory after the first official theory. What's your point?

(And show me misinformation.)

The fact that you keep spewing out the conspiracy theories and portraying them as the truth. You believe the others are spreading misinformation, yet you are doing the same.

No conspiracy theories here, just telling you what happened. You don't like it. Too bad. It doesn't change anything.

Cheers.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Facial nerve damage is common. The location of the facial nerve creates a substantial risk.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Facial nerve damage is common. The location of the facial nerve creates a substantial risk.
No.. it's not common to be damaged. It's possible it is irritated, but not damaged... Some strange sensations might be felt for a while, but not permanently.
Ask Shel90 how many children with CI she has seen with "damaged nerves"....

The fact that you keep spewing out the conspiracy theories and portraying them as the truth. You believe the others are spreading misinformation, yet you are doing the same.

No conspiracy theories here, just telling you what happened. You don't like it. Too bad. It doesn't change anything.

Cheers.
... and still no explanation, no examples of misinformation... as expected..
C U

No.. it's not common to be damaged. It's possible it is irritated, but not damaged... Some strange sensations might be felt for a while, but not permanently.

but how did you know? maybe they have not research on it yet or maybe they did not bother to mention or collect the factual information. so this is the why i made the thread about asking anyone who have CI who can share with me. My hub has a CI. He said there are lots of numbs all over it that he could not feel it but feel weird. I had surgery myself but not on my head but other areas and it was all numbs.

Cloggy,

maybe you think NUMB is not that important to you. BUT it is very important for me to have feeling or sensation skin than having numb all over it.

I have heard of weird things happening during surgery. things not even remotely related to what is being operated on. even death during a routine surgery. People have heart attacks (and the surgery was not a heart surgery). People suffer a stroke. People developing life threatening infections. People losing memory or other mental functions. And this is not to mention the people who get operated on the wrong side or wrong patient... a long list this could be.

It's silly to say that it's impossible that a CI surgery can cause a loss of functioning in an arm. It might be more accurate to say that it's unlikely. You can bet good money on doctors and hospitals keeping weird or strange complications out of the news. I think it's well known that surgery of any kind carries risk that cannot be foreseen.

Cloggy,

maybe you think NUMB is not that important to you. BUT it is very important for me to have feeling or sensation skin than having numb all over it.

Amen to that!! It may not be my face or from CI surgery, but I am totally numb from my right shoulder down to my right ankle on the right side only. That's my neuropathy, and I hate it!! My brother didn't think I was numb and touched me with a lit cigarette. Well, he found out after I didn't feel it and a burn showed up.

Cloggy,

It's not about numbness.. it's about:
......There is one that I know of who suffered some nerve damages after receiving a cochlear implant. He lost the use of nearly his entire right arm.

But Banjo is looking into it to clear it all up...

Cloggy, why do you think that doctors' lawyers have each patient sign a document saying that the surgery has risks? Every surgical procedure has risks, some more than others. Malpractice is a also a real possibility. One person when in for plastic surgery and ended up with eye lids that wouldn't close. Now that sucks!

Why are you bringing me in this?

Cloggy, why do you think that doctors' lawyers have each patient sign a document saying that the surgery has risks? Every surgical procedure has risks, some more than others. Malpractice is a also a real possibility. One person when in for plastic surgery and ended up with eye lids that wouldn't close. Now that sucks!

I think you and my dad would be a position to know given your and my dad's profession though I will grant he's not a surgeon. :P

Why are you bringing me in this?

Well Shel, you participated in this discussion with no problem earlier, didn't you?
And you do have more experience with CI children, don't you, comparing to some of us.

I for one, would be interested in your opinion - so, how many CI children
have you seen with "damaged nerves", please?

Fuzzy

Back