Does CI affect some nerves?

Squinting/twitching, looking very uncomfortable, all related to vision issues?

It can...or fact the child might have headache. I know that I tend to squint or look uncomfortable with I am having headache (allergy or eye strain/vision issue).

Perhaps it depends mainly on the surgeon, just thinking aloud. You have good surgeons and even ones who make mistakes.

One minor mistake and you get paralysis for life, it's a risk I think anyone has to sign the waiver when they agree to the surgery. It's probably controversial for operating on children because the size of their nerves are smaller than adults whom have it developed already, which may be why you see less complications in people who got it later in life. Don't know if this is the answer, just thinking aloud here. :dunno:

Surgery is alway is risk on either adult or children. CI is near the head so natually there is alot concern about CI on children for the reason you mentioned. This is reason why I want hearing parents to understand CI is just like hearing aids...another tool to assist your child in the real world, but it does not "cure" them. Not against it, nor for it since I have mixed feeling about CI with children.

Banjo is right....there is always a risk during surgery.

Twitching....well, from my own experience, during a routine tune-up, the audi had the volume on too high on my 3rd electrode, and it was so painful that my whole face cringed, but, that was a voluntary response, not an involuntary one. If there is a high-pitched sound present, and someone's eyes squint, then you know the map needs to be adjusted. I only know of one person that had abnormal optical activity...this person began having seizures and eyes rolling independently after having a CI...and all the problems went away after the CI was removed. The cause was never found.

My first CI surgery caused a nerve on my tongue to be associated with a nerve on my head. If I scratched my head, I also felt the scratching on my tongue. Weird. It finally went away after 3-4 years. I had no effects after the second CI surgery.

Bottom line is...everyone will have a different outcome with a CI.
There are many accounts of strange tasts and other feelings like not able to taste, that can be related to nerves in the head being over-stimulated due to CI surgery.
And as you said & experienced, this goes away after some time.

Hitting a nerve connected to the arm while doing CI surgery is really impressive..
Were you afraid of losing your arm?

Twitching....well, from my own experience, during a routine tune-up, the audi had the volume on too high on my 3rd electrode, and it was so painful that my whole face cringed, but, that was a voluntary response, not an involuntary one. If there is a high-pitched sound present, and someone's eyes squint, then you know the map needs to be adjusted. I only know of one person that had abnormal optical activity...this person began having seizures and eyes rolling independently after having a CI...and all the problems went away after the CI was removed. The cause was never found.

My first CI surgery caused a nerve on my tongue to be associated with a nerve on my head. If I scratched my head, I also felt the scratching on my tongue. Weird. It finally went away after 3-4 years. I had no effects after the second CI surgery.

Bottom line is...everyone will have a different outcome with a CI.

How true that is. I know quite a few people with CI. All seems have different experience with CI. From your posting and a very, very good friend's experience, one can experience same kind surgery differently.

There are many accounts of strange tasts and other feelings like not able to taste, that can be related to nerves in the head being over-stimulated due to CI surgery.
And as you said & experienced, this goes away after some time.

Hitting a nerve connected to the arm while doing CI surgery is really impressive..
Were you afraid of losing your arm?

Maybe they could have had a small stroke related to the surgery.

Maybe they could have had a small stroke related to the surgery.
Sure... sure... Nerve damage, strokes..... operating on the wrong foot...

If a child has a syndrome that affects the nerves, facial nerve issues can occur at any time. One of the nerves in my face has become paralyzed. The same with eyes.

Gee: Glad Dr Joseph Chen, Sunnybrook who did the:wave::giggle: Implant operation on me-July 12, 2007 didn't cause any Medical "problems" at all. I understood he is also a professor of surgery- University of Toronto. He has been doing this operation for years.

My only complaint-made me wait:giggle: a long time to resume swimming after the operation-2 weeks!
I was activated in 4 weeks.

Last edited:
The current emits in a field effect (think dropping a rock in a puddle), so depending on the path of the facial nerve, it can also be affected, in the form of facial stimulation (eye twitch or corner of the mouth twitch). My daughter has a malformed cochlea and malformed facial nerves (they aren't on the 'normal' path), so she's dealt with facial stimulation ever since she was first implanted in 2001.

Her maps shift over time, so once twitching starts up, we go for a new map. For her, it's always the lower frequencies that cause the twitching. The audi goes through each electrode one by one and when he finds one that elicits a twitch, he lowers it to just below where it is causing the twitch and 'clips' it. That keeps the volume from going any higher than where it is clipped. That keeps her twitch free until her map decides to shift again.

The current emits in a field effect (think dropping a rock in a puddle), so depending on the path of the facial nerve, it can also be affected, in the form of facial stimulation (eye twitch or corner of the mouth twitch). My daughter has a malformed cochlea and malformed facial nerves (they aren't on the 'normal' path), so she's dealt with facial stimulation ever since she was first implanted in 2001.

Her maps shift over time, so once twitching starts up, we go for a new map. For her, it's always the lower frequencies that cause the twitching. The audi goes through each electrode one by one and when he finds one that elicits a twitch, he lowers it to just below where it is causing the twitch and 'clips' it. That keeps the volume from going any higher than where it is clipped. That keeps her twitch free until her map decides to shift again.

That makes sense... I may need to do that myself as I get that from time to time.

Yes, a lawsuit was filed against the hospital. I don't have much details on what happened, from what I know, it was a result of the surgery itself. They severed a nerve that was linked to his right arm.

It happens.
No it doesn't..
Not while implanting a CI....

Um, it did. Are you calling me a liar?
Would you ever lie???
(Actually... I have seen you turn audist some time ago... so anything is possible nowadays.)

I think you have taken information from people for granted and combined a CI surgery with arm surgery, coming to the conclusion that one of the risks for CI operation is hitting a nerve of the arm..

I think you absolutely believe what you are telling....

I think you have taken information from people for granted and combined a CI surgery with arm surgery, coming to the conclusion that one of the risks for CI operation is hitting a nerve of the arm..

I think you absolutely believe what you are telling....

Okay, so you are calling me a liar. You just don't want to get banned for saying it. Gotcha. It's funny that you would call me that though. The fact is, we happen to know the victim and the parents. It's a real shame about what the child had to go through with, very little use of the damaged arm.

It's not just something I heard through the grapevine.

Besides, it's common knowledge that one of the risks is facial paralysis. How is that made possible? By severing the nerves connected to your face. There you go. Anything's possible.

Okay, so you are calling me a liar. You just don't want to get banned for saying it. Gotcha. It's funny that you would call me that though. The fact is, we happen to know the victim and the parents. It's a real shame about what the child had to go through with, very little use of the damaged arm.

It's not just something I heard through the grapevine.

Besides, it's common knowledge that one of the risks is facial paralysis. How is that made possible? By severing the nerves connected to your face. There you go. Anything's possible.
You wouldn't lie.. At least, your audist-stunt was not a lie.. Just cynism... The arm must be something like that..
So you even know the people.. Excellent...
Well, the I hope you will find out what really happened,because you shouldnt go around telling people that a nerve to the arm was damaged when they implanted a CI.
Nerves to the arm are located below the neck.. The CI is implanted above the neck..

So.. I hope the patient and the parents can explain it to you what happened.. And that you can explain it to all of us..

You wouldn't lie.. At least, your audist-stunt was not a lie.. Just cynism... The arm must be something like that.

So you even know the people.. Excellent.

Well, the I hope you will find out what really happened,because you shouldnt go around telling people that a nerve to the arm was damaged when they implanted a CI. Nerves to the arm are located below the neck.. The CI is implanted above the neck.

So.. I hope the patient and the parents can explain it to you what happened.. And that you can explain it to all of us..

The fact is, it happened during the cochlear implant surgery. Clearly, something went wrong there. You just don't want to believe it, however, it still doesn't change the fact that it did happen.

A tiny mistake can cost you quite a lot.

Back