Does Anyone here ever suffered from Migraines?

It makes your migraine to go way by a hammer! Just kidding.

My mother's friend had a migraine once a while for 30 years. My sister convinced her to try on a QXCI machine. It took a half hour for the treatment. (Actually, two treatments.) Her migraine is gone, and it never came back since 5 years. I am not saying that it could be a miracle.

I was told that some chiropractors helped people to make their migraine to go away or less migraine.

I was told that a water tap is not good. (I don't know if that is true.) The water filter system helps...

Have any of you tried Feverfew? It works wonders. It helps my migraines and arthritis.

I take two capsules once a day in the AM and it really controls the migraines and very rarely I get a migraine attack since I've been on Feverfew.

Feverfew is a herb. It is not expensive. A 100 capsules bottle is about 10 dollars.

Have any of you tried Feverfew? It works wonders. It helps my migraines and arthritis.

I take two capsules once a day in the AM and it really controls the migraines and very rarely I get a migraine attack since I've been on Feverfew.

Feverfew is a herb. It is not expensive. A 100 capsules bottle is about 10 dollars.

no, i've never tried it. i also get migraines, but i take 100mg of imitrex for them. it works within 15-30 minutes every time.

I'm a migraine sufferer and when I was listing the causes--I was doing them from memory... the causes are "triggers", everyone is different I found an article that you may be interested in reading.

Migraine
Migraine is not just a bad headache. In fact, some people get migraine without any headache at all! The cause of migraine is still a mystery. The research to date seems to indicate that migraine is a neurological disease based on an inherited genetic abnormality.

A cause of migraine symptoms is usually called a "trigger". A trigger is what starts the chain reaction, usually leading to migraine headaches. If you've heard much about migraine, you may have heard about various things that happen to the body - serotonin levels, changes in blood vessels - a variety of things happen that cause those terrible symptoms, such as nausea and headache. Find out more about migraine triggers, or the cause and effect of migraine!
---------------------------------------------
The migraine trigger – what they are and how to avoid them

Identifying and avoiding your migraine trigger
Anyone who knows anything about migraine has heard of the migraine trigger. Articles have been written, lists compiled and theories discussed about this important aspect of migraine treatment. But what are migraine triggers, and why are they important to understand?

Valerie South RN of the World Headache Alliance, writes:

[Migraine triggers are] internal and external factors that can set a migraine in motion. Triggers are individual, and what affects one person will not necessarily affect another.

Because migraine is a disease that is not fully understood, and therefore not easy to treat or cure, much of the focus of treatment has been trying to stop the migraine chain-reaction before it starts. The migraine trigger is the thing that starts the chain reaction, in people who are already predisposed to migraine. In other words, people who already have the disease might get the symptoms when a trigger lights the fuse.

Our understanding of triggers has evolved, and there has been a lot of discussion about what should be considered a migraine trigger. For example, stress, or how you cope with it. We now know that stress doesn't cause migraine, but many people believe it could be a trigger. However, a growing consensus now believes that stress doesn't even trigger a migraine, but instead wears you down so that you may be more likely to “react” to a trigger.

What are common migraine triggers?
Migraine triggers are different for everyone, and so the list could be very long. Below are some of the more common triggers, using the categories of internal and external. This does not mean that every one of these things could trigger a migraine in your case! It's likely that you react to only a handful, or one, or none of these. Michele Sharp, author of The Migraine Cookbook, reports that very often it's a combination that gets the migraine going. The list below contains some links to other articles relating to that particular trigger.

» Hormonal changes
This includes changes during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy, menopause and changes due to birth control pills or HRT (hormone replacement therapy)

» Changes in your daily schedule
Oversleeping, not getting enough sleep, skipping a meal, a rest after a hectic schedule

» Weather
Particularly rapidly dropping barometric pressure, but also rising pressure, temperature or humidity. Walking into a headwind can trigger migraines in some.

» Foods
Foods high in tyramine are believed to be among the worst migraine triggers. This would include things such as aged cheese and deli meats. There are many foods that could trigger migraine. Caffeine, chocolate, bananas, MSG (found in things such as canned stews, soya sauce, and powdered soups), and citrus fruits. Visit our page on diet and migraine for more on dietary migraine triggers.

» Environment
This could include cigarette smoke, perfumes, or fresh paint.

Many other lists of triggers have been compiled. Check out this migraine trigger list from the American Council for Headache Education.

How can I discover my triggers?
Some people seem to “just know” that something has triggered a migraine. Other migraine triggers can be deceptive, and you may think one thing is causing the problem when it's really something you would never suspect.

The key to finding your triggers is examining the 1-2 days before several migraine attacks, to see if you can find what's in common. What did you eat? Have you had any changes in your schedule? What was the weather like? Many migraineurs keep a diary of what they've eaten and other factors, so that they can look for commonalities. When it comes to food, one plan is to try cutting out all common migraine triggers (a migraine cookbook will be helpful), and then introducing them back into your diet, one every 2-3 days or so.

The search for migraine triggers can be a long process, but for those of us who have experienced severe migraine attacks, we know that the work is worth it! Being aware of your health and diet is a good thing in
the long run anyway. It may be that you'll learn to have a healthier diet, avoid unhealthy environmental factors, and get more exercise, just because you were dealing with migraine. You've got to get something good out of all this, right? :)

There are other great ways to avoid migraine attacks, besides just avoiding triggers. Learn more in this article on migraine prevention.

some of my migraine triggers include manic and depressive episodes, cheese, pizza, caffeine, barometric pressure changes, loud background noise, stress, not eating on a regular basis and lack of sleep.

i don't understand how a person can't experience a migraine during an attack? hmmm.

i also experience auras before my migraines which include pain between one or both eyes, dull throbbing pain, neck pain and numbness/tingling in my hands.

I get tension headaches so bad that I vomit.

But nothing like you all described. My cousin gets migraines so bad she ends up in the hospital for a few days for pain management.

The problem with herbs is that they're not regulated by the FDA. You have no way of knowing what you're getting when you buy it. I wouldn't trust something that isn't regulated from the FDA. I'm glad it works for you, though. Can you tell us about how drugs and herbs are regulated in Canada?

I would rather take herbs than narcotics because narcotics are way too strong and habit-forming.

Granted narcotics are covered by the government and herbs aren't.

The issue right now with Canada's law C-51 - you're not allowed to market or produce home grown herbs under the word "drug". It has to be "therapeutic product" otherwise you would face either a stiff fine or jail time.

Over 60% of the herbs in Canada has been restricted under Act C-51.

Last edited:
I would rather take herbs than narcotics because narcotics are way too strong and habit-forming.

Granted narcotics are covered by the government and herbs aren't.

The issue right now with Canada's law C-51 - you're not allowed to market or produce home grown herbs under the word "drug". It has to be "therapeutic product" otherwise you would face either a stiff fine or jail time.

Over 60% of the herbs in Canada has been restricted under Act C-51.

i've been lucky. during all the years i've taken imitrex, i haven't become addicted.

in the past, i also used to take a migraine preventative called verapamil, but since i'm already on so many meds for my allergies, migraines, bipolar and cts, i don't want to be on any more phamaceuticals than i have to.

Although I rarely suffer from migraines nowadays, I do suffer from them from time to time. The most recent one I had was a classic migraine with aruas just before the onset. I had that on monday this week and it lasted like 2 or 3 days. I really hate it when I get migraines like that. They seem to be stress related.

When I was younger, I used to get them all the time as a teen to the point where my father was convinced that I got them on purpose to get out ot work. My parents are big on hard work. Well, I can think of better ways to get out of work than to shut yourself into a totally dark room with no lights and no sounds.

I hope that this medicine works for you. Good Luck!

I read the Zomig's formula on the internet, and it has a long statement about side effects. http://www1.astrazeneca-us.com/pi/Zomig.pdf

Oceanbreeze said that it works for her so it might work for you, too.

All medications do, but I'd rather trust something that's FDA approved then a herbal preparation that's not regulated.

I hope that this medicine works for you. Good Luck!

I read the Zomig's formula on the internet, and it has a long statement about side effects. http://www1.astrazeneca-us.com/pi/Zomig.pdf

Oceanbreeze said that it works for her so it might work for you, too.

thanks! :) i don't plan on switching to zomig until the day my imitrex stops working, but it's nice to know i have an alternative med i can rely on.

All medications do, but I'd rather trust something that's FDA approved then a herbal preparation that's not regulated.

so would i. when i asked my neurologist about herbal preparations and how effective they were for migraines, he said that if a person's migraines are severe (like mine are), herbals won't help.

Back