Does anyone have otosclerosis?

Sortofdeaf

Reaction score
Looks like I have this. Just wanted to connect with some other people who also have it to learn more about what to expect. I also was born deaf in one ear.

I don't have it, but a number of relatives have or do have it. My grandmother eventually went deaf from it, but that was back in the 1940's when they didn't have any surgery to fix it. Several aunts also had it and had surgery back in the 1960's and the surgery lasted for about 20 years. Several cousins also had or have it and the one's that have had surgery, so far, so good. With hearing aids you can compensate for the loss as long as you can get the amplification high enough, but since otosclerosis is progressive, it might get to the point that you can't get the volume high enough. The one thing I can tell you is you want to have the surgery before it gets into the cochlear because once it's in the cochlear your ear is basically done. One other thing otosclerosis patients don't make good candidates for cochlear implants.

You may want to look up threads by user Ambrosia. She had/has it. She did get a CI and did well with it.

I have Otosclerosis , I actually just had surgery ( Stapedectomy) on my right ear 11 days ago so I’m currently in the recovery process. I could try my best to answer any questions you may have . I don’t actually know anyone else with the condition, so it’d be nice to relate

I have Otosclerosis in my right ear. Progressively getting worse. Left ear is fine.
Planning to get hearing aids for right ear. A little scared of surgery at this stage. Will see how long hearing aids will help.

Back