Does anyone have back/neck problems?

Well, to clarify, here is some background on my problem. I was born with mild scoliosis and Klippel-Feil Syndrome. I do not have a normal type of scoliosis. On my back, my spine curves one way and then the bones fuse and then curves the opposite way and then fuses and then curves and straighten up at the bottom of my spine. I also am missing 4 out of the 7 vertebrae that you should have in your neck.

I do notice that my back and neck hurt more when I sit for long periods. I try not to sit for too long, but when I am in school, I don't have control over that sadly. :/

Sadly, the last time I spoke to my doctor, they said my scoliosis is "not bad enough" to warrant surgery and that is when they suggested physical therapy. I tried it and it really helped, but I think the most helpful part was the ultrasounds that they performed on my back to loosen the muscles and pressure buildups. I can't get physical therapy anymore though because of my insurance. It's hard enough getting a doctors appointment that doesn't take 3 months. :/

I've been think about getting a new computer chair but the good ones that are actually helpful are too expensive, but if you know of any good non-expensive ones you can let me know. :)

I may be biased.....but massage therapy :) and maybe a chiropractor. I used to work on a woman every week or two with scoliosis. It was just in her thoracic region, starting at T1-maybe T7. Since the spine is not aligned properly it makes the muscles one side of the curve bunched up, and the muscles on the other side of the curve stretched out. In her it caused trigger points, spots on the nerve that get hypersensitive, those trigger points also caused her to have migraines....which would just tighten her up even more. I would never be able to "fix" her, I could relieve her problems for a bit, but since I couldn't straighten out her spine it was an ongoing issue. I was just maintanence really.

Too bad you don't live by me. The clinic I work at has a doctor you could go see, he would "prescribe" massage therapy, it's all covered by insurance the patients just pay copays, and most come every single week.

Well, to clarify, here is some background on my problem. I was born with mild scoliosis and Klippel-Feil Syndrome. I do not have a normal type of scoliosis. On my back, my spine curves one way and then the bones fuse and then curves the opposite way and then fuses and then curves and straighten up at the bottom of my spine. I also am missing 4 out of the 7 vertebrae that you should have in your neck.

I do notice that my back and neck hurt more when I sit for long periods. I try not to sit for too long, but when I am in school, I don't have control over that sadly. :/

Sadly, the last time I spoke to my doctor, they said my scoliosis is "not bad enough" to warrant surgery and that is when they suggested physical therapy. I tried it and it really helped, but I think the most helpful part was the ultrasounds that they performed on my back to loosen the muscles and pressure buildups. I can't get physical therapy anymore though because of my insurance. It's hard enough getting a doctors appointment that doesn't take 3 months. :/

I've been think about getting a new computer chair but the good ones that are actually helpful are too expensive, but if you know of any good non-expensive ones you can let me know. :)

I have a chronic back pain but I haven't had any back pain in a while since I started working out and practicing proper habits.

I used to see a chiropractor once a week for several months. the culprit? poor sitting habit. poor muscle support. because of this - the bottom of my back bone curved deeper which causes a lower back pain. I'm not a tall guy but I have a pretty "tall" torso so my backbone is bit longer than normal.

I understand that in your case - it's a much more serious case because of mild scoliosis, Klippel-Feil Syndrome, and missing vertebrates but you can easily fix this with few simple things - stronger muscle support, proper sitting habit, and regular exercise. it's extremely crucial to always keep moving and stay hydrated to have a nice strong healthy circulation.

when sitting or sleeping for extended period of time - your back muscle will tense up and get exhausted. that's why the back always get hot. you should sit up and take a quick walk around the office and back every 30 min to 1 hr. stay hydrated too. when you sit, 60% (just an estimate) of weight goes to your back. when you walk around, it's around 10-20%, I believe. I work behind a computer at least 8 hrs a day. when I get up and walk around every hour - no problem. no sore neck, no back pain, nothing. if your back starts to get uncomfortable again soon... then you need to do a nice long stretching - yoga techniques for about 10 minutes.

Yoga-Poses-For-Back-Pain-7-595x767_zpsf4062748.jpg

you stated that a physical therapy helps a lot. my doctor told me - 50% of the problem - he can help me... but the other 50%... I have to help myself. now you know you need to work out regularly and you know what to do at gym. you simply need to build up a strong muscle support for your back and also to keep it nice and flexible. your back has one of the largest muscle group so that means you should try to stay hydrated. when you have a weak muscle support, your back is pretty much depending on bones itself and it's squeezing together - possibly pinching your nerve or muscle and/or protruding out to muscle area and organs... very painful!!!!! I had to do chiropractor sessions twice a week for 3 months to correct my backbone by 5mm. once it's done... I started working out and no problem since then! who ever thought my backbone being displaced by 5mm could cause such a big deal of pain?

you do not need some expensive ergonomic chair. a simple comfortable chair is more than enough as long as you practice proper seating habit and exercise regularly. once in a while - I go to Chinatown for nice deep-tissue acupressure back and foot massages for one hour like what ambrosia suggested. it truly makes you feel like 10 years younger :lol:

but first.... always consult with your doctors before you start working out!!! there are at least 5 different methods for same thing so you need to know what you can do and what you can't do at gym. consult with your doctors and get an O-K to do what you're gonna do! :thumb:

Got thrown by machinery at work, yup sure did...lol
and that alone was my neck.

Been hit 3 times on a motorcycle and BMX accidents as a kid.

Now that will made your back hurt. My car was rear ended by a teenager driver when I stopped for a red light . The kid thought I was going to go through the light when it was yellow and he did not slow down. My back got hurt and my daughter who was a teenager and old enough to sit up front did not get hurt. I was going to my mother's house as her brother had just dies. So my poor mom who was already upset became more upset when she heard my car got hit. My car did not get hurt but I did. I was not able to lie down as it was too painful. I was hit by a car when I was a kid too . Try to be care and not have any more accident , some injuries do get worst as you get older.

I have a chronic back pain but I haven't had any back pain in a while since I started working out and practicing proper habits.

I used to see a chiropractor once a week for several months. the culprit? poor sitting habit. poor muscle support. because of this - the bottom of my back bone curved deeper which causes a lower back pain. I'm not a tall guy but I have a pretty "tall" torso so my backbone is bit longer than normal.

I understand that in your case - it's a much more serious case because of mild scoliosis, Klippel-Feil Syndrome, and missing vertebrates but you can easily fix this with few simple things - stronger muscle support, proper sitting habit, and regular exercise. it's extremely crucial to always keep moving and stay hydrated to have a nice strong healthy circulation.

when sitting or sleeping for extended period of time - your back muscle will tense up and get exhausted. that's why the back always get hot. you should sit up and take a quick walk around the office and back every 30 min to 1 hr. stay hydrated too. when you sit, 60% (just an estimate) of weight goes to your back. when you walk around, it's around 10-20%, I believe. I work behind a computer at least 8 hrs a day. when I get up and walk around every hour - no problem. no sore neck, no back pain, nothing. if your back starts to get uncomfortable again soon... then you need to do a nice long stretching - yoga techniques for about 10 minutes.

Yoga-Poses-For-Back-Pain-7-595x767_zpsf4062748.jpg

you stated that a physical therapy helps a lot. my doctor told me - 50% of the problem - he can help me... but the other 50%... I have to help myself. now you know you need to work out regularly and you know what to do at gym. you simply need to build up a strong muscle support for your back and also to keep it nice and flexible. your back has one of the largest muscle group so that means you should try to stay hydrated. when you have a weak muscle support, your back is pretty much depending on bones itself and it's squeezing together - possibly pinching your nerve or muscle and/or protruding out to muscle area and organs... very painful!!!!! I had to do chiropractor sessions twice a week for 3 months to correct my backbone by 5mm. once it's done... I started working out and no problem since then! who ever thought my backbone being displaced by 5mm could cause such a big deal of pain?

you do not need some expensive ergonomic chair. a simple comfortable chair is more than enough as long as you practice proper seating habit and exercise regularly. once in a while - I go to Chinatown for nice deep-tissue acupressure back and foot massages for one hour like what ambrosia suggested. it truly makes you feel like 10 years younger :lol:

but first.... always consult with your doctors before you start working out!!! there are at least 5 different methods for same thing so you need to know what you can do and what you can't do at gym. consult with your doctors and get an O-K to do what you're gonna do! :thumb:

I hunt my back when I had to help a client get out of rocking chair. He had Alzheimer and forgot how to get out of the chair and he was tall man .
I had to go to PT and had to do the cat and camel exercise . I was on the floor and right in the middle off doing the cat part my idiotic EX husband sat on my back ! OH SHIT! Did the hurt . I could feel my whole back burn!
needless to say he made my back worst . My back never been the same.

Now that will made your back hurt. My car was rear ended by a teenager driver when I stopped for a red light . The kid thought I was going to go through the light when it was yellow and he did not slow down. My back got hurt and my daughter who was a teenager and old enough to sit up front did not get hurt. I was going to my mother's house as her brother had just dies. So my poor mom who was already upset became more upset when she heard my car got hit. My car did not get hurt but I did. I was not able to lie down as it was too painful. I was hit by a car when I was a kid too . Try to be care and not have any more accident , some injuries do get worst as you get older.
I got hit by a car walking across the street in 89...
I was with my then girlfriend, we walked to a store 2 blocks away to get a soda, coming back there were 5 fire trucks as someone sat a dumpster on fire and burned a garage. We walked behind the trucks at the corner (crosswalk area) an old man stopped (4 way stop signs) and motioned for us to go. He was driving a pinto, the girl next door to us was hauling ass down the street looking at the firefighters and slammed into the pinto with her 77 thunderbird, which knocked him into me hard, caught me at the knee, I hit the windshield and flipped over the car landing behind the pinto, in front of the thunderbird. Apparently it knocked me out as I don't remember it at all. I woke up to my girlfriend screaming and freaking out, my parents running down the street as they seen it. I didn't hurt, didn't feel or remember anything.. oddly. I refused to go to the hospital, went home an went to bed later. I woke up the next morning and couldn't move, couldn't get out of my water bed....my back was screwed up, I ended up in therapy for 3 years to straighten my spine out, I won my case... I recovered fully at a young age in my 20's.... Now that Im older, all those aches and pains have returned with a vengeance... lol

I got hit by a car walking across the street in 89...
I was with my then girlfriend, we walked to a store 2 blocks away to get a soda, coming back there were 5 fire trucks as someone sat a dumpster on fire and burned a garage. We walked behind the trucks at the corner (crosswalk area) an old man stopped (4 way stop signs) and motioned for us to go. He was driving a pinto, the girl next door to us was hauling ass down the street looking at the firefighters and slammed into the pinto with her 77 thunderbird, which knocked him into me hard, caught me at the knee, I hit the windshield and flipped over the car landing behind the pinto, in front of the thunderbird. Apparently it knocked me out as I don't remember it at all. I woke up to my girlfriend screaming and freaking out, my parents running down the street as they seen it. I didn't hurt, didn't feel or remember anything.. oddly. I refused to go to the hospital, went home an went to bed later. I woke up the next morning and couldn't move, couldn't get out of my water bed....my back was screwed up, I ended up in therapy for 3 years to straighten my spine out, I won my case... I recovered fully at a young age in my 20's.... Now that Im older, all those aches and pains have returned with a vengeance... lol

You're lucky to still be alive. Yeah it does take a day or more before you really feel the pain from an accident. I was knock out in an accident and I can't remember the accident . I can remember I was working at the time. I was told by a witness he was really impress in how I tried to avoid getting hit by an new teenager driver and I wish I knew what I did . I got a lawyer and got a settlement with the kids parents. I know what you mean , when I was a child and got hit by a car my left leg was broken in two places and 62 year later my left knee hurt. I put ice on my knee when it hurt .

You're lucky to still be alive. Yeah it does take a day or more before you really feel the pain from an accident. I was knock out in an accident and I can't remember the accident . I can remember I was working at the time. I was told by a witness he was really impress in how I tried to avoid getting hit by an new teenager driver and I wish I knew what I did . I got a lawyer and got a settlement with the kids parents. I know what you mean , when I was a child and got hit by a car my left leg was broken in two places and 62 year later my left knee hurt. I put ice on my knee when it hurt .
All I remember was talking to my girlfriend walking across the street, opening my pepsi and next thing I knew I was laying on the street about 50-75 feet from the corner where we were drenched in pepsi, I jumped up cussing why I had pepsi all over me , all the while shes screaming OH MY GOD OH MY GOD...lol I was told ( bumper hit me about knee level and yes I have issues with that knee now too, I then hit the windshield and went airborn almost straight up and over the car flipping like a rag doll landing flat on my back. Said I didn't move for about a minute or 2 and all the sudden jumped up. I don't remember anything from talking to her to getting off the street...its blank. At first I thought she threw soda on me...lol

I'm paying the price for walking around at the state fair today. Laying down with two ice packs.......hurting pretty bad:-(

Wirelessly posted

Angel1989 said:
I'm paying the price for walking around at the state fair today. Laying down with two ice packs.......hurting pretty bad:-(

:( I do hope you feel better. I have sciatica and I get lower back pains bad from time to time. I take tramadol on a as needed basis when I do hurt, along with a naproxen. Ice packs do work wonders as well.

Sucks to be us!

Mine from top of spine to bottom of spine, not every part are related to each other on cause of pain. I did thought it was, but nope.

This is one of reason why I left my job. I think I found out exact why doctors blamed on my last job as main cause of pain. I would love to go back to my old job but, I am not sure if it is really worth the risk.

becareful jiro in what you say back pain will haunt when you say that....
i cope with back pain and soon as you say not had it for few years it come back.
i sure Saten got something to do with back pain

becareful jiro in what you say back pain will haunt when you say that....
i cope with back pain and soon as you say not had it for few years it come back.
i sure Saten got something to do with back pain

of course it will come back but just not as frequent as before.

i have it bad,you get use to it and think it cant get worse but it do then spend next few years at that level then down again...i got so use to it,everyone got find what good for them try everything.Pain clinic good place get help

Sucks to be us!

Mine from top of spine to bottom of spine, not every part are related to each other on cause of pain. I did thought it was, but nope.

This is one of reason why I left my job. I think I found out exact why doctors blamed on my last job as main cause of pain. I would love to go back to my old job but, I am not sure if it is really worth the risk.

How?

First half of my spinal issue were since childhood of unknown cause, more likely has to do with rubella, other half of spinal issue is work related, and that is why I left my last job. I wish I don't have to leave the last job but this leaves me no choice and yes I am pissed off. However with new FCC regulations, it matters less to me and I am going to have to figure out what life I am going to pursuit after the legal issues are over. There are many things that I would love to do but apparently can't due to stupid spinal injury. :mad2: Probably in about 6 weeks will find out the outcome, who knows?

I don't have any major back problems (that I know of) but I know of others that have been helped hugely by something called the "Raindrop Technique". It's not a massage, but it's sorta along those lines and it's great for overall health as well as back problems. It involves using certain essential oils (not just any ol' oils, but therapeutic grade) that have been researched and tested to know what works best together. The oils are applied on the feet and along the spine and the results are amazing! If you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll see if I know a facilitator in your state. :)

More info: Raindrop Technique: Non-Invasive Technique that Aligns the Spine

Back injury is no fun.... I had a lower back injury more than year and 1/2 ago.

Right now my back isn't too bad, only once in a while I do get pain but it is getting less.

Also with riding mountain bike, at the moment I can't ride soo long like I used to way before the injury, because I get tingling numb feet, so I have to stop riding the bike and take a walk to get rid of tingling numb feet. Once the feet is back to normal I go back on riding mountain bike.

Only good thing is at least I'm starting to do more stuff, but have to take it slowly to build it all up with strengthen exercises.

I have had back and neck problem all of my life, but it seems like it is getting worse. I have more pressure building up in my back and I am in excruciating pain sometimes. I try sitting different ways and massaging my neck and back as much as I can but it seems to have little or no effect. :(

My question: Those with back problems, what do you do to relieve the pressure?

I've used an ice rag. Put rag or towel in water, wring and freeze. Take frozen towel and put behind your neck and that should bring down any swelling you might have. Have you been to an orthepedic? I had. He told me that I had a herniated disk in my neck bringing me pain was on the scale of 9 - 10. Physical theropy might be in order for you. :lol:

i had about 6 epidurals that useless..i did get this thing you put chin in then it straped to door frame and gently pulls vertbra,works for some not others...you can buy these things from physiothrapy proffessional catalogs

Back