Does anyone else put significant thought into their dreams?

Do your dreams mean anything to you?

• Total voters

Dolores

Reaction score
So all my life, just like everyone else, ive had ordinary dreams that i forget about the second i wake up and those dreams that seem to make no sense at all but you cant forget.

One of the things i love most about my therapist is he always takes my dreams as seriously as i do. In the sense that if i tell him i think a certain dream means something or strikes a cord for me, he helps me figure it out. And no, i dont think my dreams tell the future or give me any special insight. My take on dreams is they are your brains way of showing you what you're really thinking about but may not consciously notice.

But anyway, has anyone else ever had one of those recurring dreams that may either make complete sense to you, or confuses the ever living hell out of you? Or maybe not even a recurring dream but just a dream that you wake up and end up spending the rest of your day obsessing over?

My dr says a recurring dream comes from your brain trying its best to process something that may be too much for you to absorb all at once. Does anyone agree, or have a different take?

My brain told me i was pregnant with twins and when I lost one my brain told me before it happened and what day my daughter was born on. My dreams often tell me things I need to know before they happen. I once had a dream I was pregnant with triplets, but they were all taken in a zombie apocalypse, I hot pregnant with triplets and miscarried them at 2 months will playing a video game about zombies.
I trust my brain and dreams for everything.

Wow. Firstly, i am so sorry for your loss. Second, i admire your confidence in yourself, i cant trust my brain for nothing! And third, even though your dreams predicted some pretty awful things, thats still an amazing talent.

I don't have recurring dreams. Every night I have entirely new dreams, in vivid color and detail, that I remember the next morning. If anything bad is happening in the dream I scream loudly and act out (flail my arms, punch, shove). Sometimes I just talk in my sleep. But nothing I've dreamt has related to events in my life. They're just very creative.

The only theme that might be considered recurring is that at the end of my dreams there is usually some kind of search for a bathroom. Public or private, there's always some kind of obstacle involved. That's when I wake up, get up, and go . . . to the bathroom.

I only sleep 2-3 hours at a time. I get up, go to the bathroom, come back to bed and toss and turn for about an hour, then go to sleep again. I might get 4-5 hours of sleep per night. :zzz:

I don't have recurring dreams. Every night I have entirely new dreams, in vivid color and detail, that I remember the next morning. If anything bad is happening in the dream I scream loudly and act out (flail my arms, punch, shove). Sometimes I just talk in my sleep. But nothing I've dreamt has related to events in my life. They're just very creative.

The only theme that might be considered recurring is that at the end of my dreams there is usually some kind of search for a bathroom. Public or private, there's always some kind of obstacle involved. That's when I wake up, get up, and go . . . to the bathroom.

I only sleep 2-3 hours at a time. I get up, go to the bathroom, come back to bed and toss and turn for about an hour, then go to sleep again. I might get 4-5 hours of sleep per night. :zzz:

My long-lost sister! Lol
Seriously, I wish someone had told me how to deal with dreams just before I became a teen. For two decades I would get the screaming mimis and walk in my sleep, etcetera, and not remember them. Then one day I had a long talk with an elderly couple about it, and they gave me pointers. They worked. I haven't had a single nightmare since then.

My long-lost sister! Lol
Seriously, I wish someone had told me how to deal with dreams just before I became a teen. For two decades I would get the screaming mimis and walk in my sleep, etcetera, and not remember them. Then one day I had a long talk with an elderly couple about it, and they gave me pointers. They worked. I haven't had a single nightmare since then.
I'm glad that you no longer have nightmares. :)

I've had the sleep problems only since I got Parkinson's. It's one of the non-mobility symptoms that come with the disease. Bleh!

Ugh that sucks! I hate only sleeping for a few hours at a time. When im under a lot of stress i wake up every hour like clockwork, then it takes me an hour to go to sleep, and an hour later i wake up.

I get what you mean about fighting in your sleep. Ive always been a wild sleeper myself. One time i was having a friend stay the night i tried to smother her with a blanket in my sleep.

My long-lost sister! Lol
What were their pointers? I went through a phase of sleepwalking in my teens too. But it went away on its own after highschool. At least i hope it did lol

What were their pointers? I went through a phase of sleepwalking in my teens too. But it went away on its own after highschool. At least i hope it did lol

Gosh. I applaud you for figuring out the sleepwalking part. :)

I was the only deafie in my high school (with a graduating class of 400) and was bullied a lot, and by today's standards, it was OUTRAGEOUS what I went through. Enough of that.
Twenty years later, these wise old geriatrics listened to me and cut me off mid-story. They asked me "What are you dreaming now?" I was puzzled and told them "The same old thing."
"Change it."
"Change what?"
"The girls."

To make a long story short, I beat the crap out of my tormentors and had wet dreams about the girls. I crawled into a hole in the mountainside and made it all the way through to the other side, an unbelievably beautiful place, and I eventually roared at tigers.

They taught me to confront.

Been there, done that. I figure its when I'm in a deep sleep and my body is trying to wake me up to go tot the bathroom.

My kids would have night terrors and one would sleep walk and at one point we decided they may be caused by the body trying to wake them up to go to the potty. So when the youngest was having them, we'd take her and have her sit on the toilet and after she peed she'd go back to bed and back to sleep w/o the terrors. ( @Beowulf so I don't have to retype that in reply to your post. ;) )

I knew an adult years ago that broke his arm because he was sleep walking and fell down the stairs.

Gosh. I applaud you for figuring out the sleepwalking part. :)

I was the only deafie in my high school (with a graduating class of 400) and was bullied a lot, and by today's standards, it was OUTRAGEOUS what I went through. Enough of that.
Twenty years later, these wise old geriatrics listened to me and cut me off mid-story. They asked me "What are you dreaming now?" I was puzzled and told them "The same old thing."
"Change it."
"Change what?"
"The girls."

To make a long story short, I beat the crap out of my tormentors and had wet dreams about the girls. I crawled into a hole in the mountainside and made it all the way through to the other side, an unbelievably beautiful place, and I eventually roared at tigers.

They taught me to confront.
Aw, thats horrible. That you were bullied i mean. May i ask why? You dont have to answer if thats too personal a question.

Im glad you confronted your problem though. My nightmares arent related to anything i can confront in the same way as you did, but thats what the therapy is for.

I wish i could take credit for putting a stop to the sleepwalking but i have no idea how i did it. It just stopped. I didnt even realize on my own i had been doing it. My friends that slept over had to tell me. At first i even thought they were joking or trying to play a prank on me. But after a while they all started saying i was doing it (i had several female friends sleeping over during school years).

Apparently i was violent too. I mentioned i smothered one friend, i walked across a room to slap another, i threw things at another friend, and i stood over another friend looking down on her "menacingly" or so she says.

Been there, done that. I figure its when I'm in a deep sleep and my body is trying to wake me up to go tot the bathroom.

My kids would have night terrors and one would sleep walk and at one point we decided they may be caused by the body trying to wake them up to go to the potty. So when the youngest was having them, we'd take her and have her sit on the toilet and after she peed she'd go back to bed and back to sleep w/o the terrors. ( @Beowulf so I don't have to retype that in reply to your post. ;) )
I have a little one in my family who sleep walks and it scares the living hell out of me. Not because im afraid of what she'll do, all she does is roam around and wander back to bed. But because it freaks me out when she walks around with her eyes closed. She reminds me of a ghost. I imagine it would be 10x scarier if she was bigger. Shes only 5.

I have a little one in my family who sleep walks and it scares the living hell out of me. Not because im afraid of what she'll do, all she does is roam around and wander back to bed. But because it freaks me out when she walks around with her eyes closed. She reminds me of a ghost. I imagine it would be 10x scarier if she was bigger. Shes only 5.
Maybe lead her to the bathroom and help her into the toilet. Then when she’s done lead her back to bed. Just don’t try waking her up.

Maybe lead her to the bathroom and help her into the toilet. Then when she’s done lead her back to bed. Just don’t try waking her up.
You know everyone says dont wake a sleepwalking person. I wonder why. All the doctors ive asked either say its fine to wake them or its even good to wake them. She also has night terrors though. I bet if i woke her shed get scared.

Ill try the bathroom thing next time. The last time she slept walked i freaked out way too much, my mom was like, seriously chill. She scared me though!

It's probably ok to wake them if you do it gently...like slowly coming out of a deep dream. I think the concern was "jolting" someone awake.

Aw, thats horrible. That you were bullied i mean. May i ask why? You dont have to answer if thats too personal a question.

Im glad you confronted your problem though. My nightmares arent related to anything i can confront in the same way as you did, but thats what the therapy is for.

I wish i could take credit for putting a stop to the sleepwalking but i have no idea how i did it. It just stopped. I didnt even realize on my own i had been doing it. My friends that slept over had to tell me. At first i even thought they were joking or trying to play a prank on me. But after a while they all started saying i was doing it (i had several female friends sleeping over during school years).

Apparently i was violent too. I mentioned i smothered one friend, i walked across a room to slap another, i threw things at another friend, and i stood over another friend looking down on her "menacingly" or so she says.

Meh, that's like asking someone why she was raped.
They were just pricks. ;)

Meh, that's like asking someone why she was raped.
They were just pricks. ;)
Very good point. I was wondering if they bullied you for being deaf. A bully is a bully and theres no excuse for it. But i absolutely hate people that pick on someone for a reason they cant even control. Like skin color or gender. I dont see any sense in it.

I had bullies in my school too, some of them racist assholes, or just plain ignorant. But then you had the girls that couldnt stand that one girl that ran her mouth, or the group of boys that hated the footplayer that made a mission out of sleeping with everyones girlfriend. When those kids got beat up the rest of us couldnt help but think, "well, maybe you shouldnt have done that in the first place." Which looking back, we were still wrong, but i was just curious.

I try and not read too much into dreams. I have no control what will be dreamt always seem to have sad or morbid ones such as last night I dreamt I saw a malnourished and neglected dog who was so weak it couldn't walk down stairs and as a result collapsed and died. I couldn't face it after that point and it woke me up.

Back