Does anyone else feel like their life was ruined by mainstream school

There are so many stories, too, of teachers who tried to make a difference by trying something new. And it threatened the system and they make live hard for these special teachers. They often end up leaving teaching forever.

Education, like any field, needs people who push the envelope.

The problem with mainstream education is simple. It's too one size fits all. How much training do you think that a mainstream teacher, even a sped teacher gets in how to teach dhh kids?
The thing is, they thought that mainstreaming would lead to high acheivement among dhh and other low incidence kids. It did intially, but that's b/c the First Wave of mainstreamed kids had the advantage of disabilty specific education training. It is TOO easy for kids to fall through the cracks..........and not just with reading and writing....incidental learning and social emotional development is very often forgotten about too.

On the bold statement, if your parents would have listen to your needs like asking them for you to go into the Deaf school where there is ASL. You might or might not go. That is the problem with hearing parents and hearing doctors and hearing audiologists who don't listen to your needs. They only think of themselves not understanding anything about deafness. They also made the excuse not to sign as they expected the deaf child to talk and read lips 100 percent. They are not deaf, but we are deaf. They don't get it. **sigh**

Now we have CI and we are starting over again just like hearing aids but still we are not getting anywhere trying to explain why we still need to go Deaf school route so that we can understand more clearly. I know that Deaf school have Deaf teachers and some hearing teachers, too. But as long as we can have ASL to understand what is being said in any schools, colleges, workplaces and other public places with the help of ASL interpreters, we will be fine. That is something we are going to have to pay the prices of being put up by the hearing people. We are living in a very ignorant society. **sigh**

You're right, we're deaf and they're not so they dont get it. A lot of people are confused about me b/c I have a voice but what they dont know is that I barely talk. So it's easy for people to hide my deafness which makes me so darn mad. People are in total denial that we're deaf. I dont know if we're mentally challenged or not. Nothin wrong being deaf. Just accept us who we are. I think they like to criticize us, judge us, and control our idenity. I know that some people dont like closed captions b/c they think we dont need it.. I say BULLSHIT!! We can hear some with our hearin aid but not everything so CC is huge part of my life. Without CC, I'd be lost. I wish I learned ASL growin up but I didnt and I regret it. I know it wasnt my fault. We face discrimination everyday and not have any support from families just blow my mind away. Talk to a deaf family member doesnt mean other people will talk to you. So yes, we live in ignorant society and took me a long time to figured that out. It is so easy to take advantage of the deaf b/c of discrimination.

I thought I didnt need to learn asl b/c I had a voice... but tuhday, I should have learned asl.. makes me upset lookin back and it wasnt right. wearin a hearin aid and have voice doesnt mean you dont need asl... I know, I know...tell that to hearin people. I dont have any hearin friends and why? just b/c Im deaf..not only deaf, I dont know asl that much...just stupid how I was raised. I suffered a lot from society...know what? They can kiss my redneck ass. I stand tall and proud! :rockon: Dont like me? fuck off! :lol:

I keep seeing this thread pop up on top. Each time I wonder if anyone feels their life was ruined by deafness.

You're right, we're deaf and they're not so they dont get it. A lot of people are confused about me b/c I have a voice but what they dont know is that I barely talk. So it's easy for people to hide my deafness which makes me so darn mad. People are in total denial that we're deaf. I dont know if we're mentally challenged or not. Nothin wrong being deaf. Just accept us who we are. I think they like to criticize us, judge us, and control our idenity. I know that some people dont like closed captions b/c they think we dont need it.. I say BULLSHIT!! We can hear some with our hearin aid but not everything so CC is huge part of my life. Without CC, I'd be lost. I wish I learned ASL growin up but I didnt and I regret it. I know it wasnt my fault. We face discrimination everyday and not have any support from families just blow my mind away. Talk to a deaf family member doesnt mean other people will talk to you. So yes, we live in ignorant society and took me a long time to figured that out. It is so easy to take advantage of the deaf b/c of discrimination.

I thought I didnt need to learn asl b/c I had a voice... but tuhday, I should have learned asl.. makes me upset lookin back and it wasnt right. wearin a hearin aid and have voice doesnt mean you dont need asl... I know, I know...tell that to hearin people. I dont have any hearin friends and why? just b/c Im deaf..not only deaf, I dont know asl that much...just stupid how I was raised. I suffered a lot from society...know what? They can kiss my redneck ass. I stand tall and proud! :rockon: Dont like me? fuck off! :lol:

Are you learning ASL now?

Deaf time, one thing that I think deaf schools and programs need to do, is heavily make clear that they are open and welcoming to dhh kids who were very oral in elementary school.

Are you learning ASL now?

Nope...I dont chat with deafies.

Deaf time, one thing that I think deaf schools and programs need to do, is heavily make clear that they are open and welcoming to dhh kids who were very oral in elementary school.

No, I think hearing schools should git rid of deaf programs b/c it doesnt work. We only had two classes in highschool and only one in junior high. That's exactly why I was forced to attend hearin classes b/c they (mainstreamers) could.

No, I think hearing schools should git rid of deaf programs b/c it doesnt work. We only had two classes in highschool and only one in junior high. That's exactly why I was forced to attend hearin classes b/c they (mainstreamers) could.

Even elementary level dhh programs? I think that there are good quality post elementary dhh programs out there. I'm all for continuum of placement, but are you saying that its hard to provide dhh Ed to kids in a middle and high school setting, bc it's more like inclusion....meaning the problem of the teachers not being well trained is still there? Not to mention that middle and high school can be hell!

One of the career paths I'm considering [obviously under much heavier consideration once I have the education for it! :)] is being an interpreter for Deaf children in a mainstreaming context, but seeing this, I don't know if that would be the best way for me to use my knowledge of ASL.

Sorry if I'm derailing the topic at all D:

One of the career paths I'm considering [obviously under much heavier consideration once I have the education for it! :)] is being an interpreter for Deaf children in a mainstreaming context, but seeing this, I don't know if that would be the best way for me to use my knowledge of ASL.

Sorry if I'm derailing the topic at all D:

Some kids can and do benefit significantly from such a placement. I think a lot of the frustration here in the forum comes from inclusion being pushed so heavily/as the Golden Solution to education. The real solution needs to be promoting a viable continuum of placement.

you are social on to chat to ASL not much deafies?, you mind ASL communication try social deaf people?
I understood comments!

you are social on to chat to ASL not much deafies?, you mind ASL communication try social deaf people?
I understood comments!

Tim lives out in the country. I don't think there are any deafies close to where he lives.

I understood comments!

I dont see no deafies and I dont live close to a big city...to0 bad we dont live close by b.c I would hang out with ya and use ASL.

Tim lives out in the country. I don't think there are any deafies close to where he lives.

I dont see deafies out here...you're right. :D I dont mind livin in the country..so darn nice! There are many days when I dont see anybody but my family members.

oh i see understood :)
I dont see no deafies and I dont live close to a big city...to0 bad we dont live close by b.c I would hang out with ya and use ASL.

Really!

I dont see deafies out here...you're right. :D I dont mind livin in the country..so darn nice! There are many days when I dont see anybody but my family members.

:D

I am really considering moving to the city where there are deaf schools. I have 2 kids that are deaf/hoh . Oldest is 7 years old ..then I have a 7 month old. As of now my daughter is in first grade and loves school so much. So I cant see homeschooling her which was one of my options. But we will be leaving our house behind so in other words foreclose....move to an apartment then my kids will go to deaf schools till they graduate high school. I am really thinking this will be best. I have a great team here and all my services are close. But for the sake of the kids and what is best I think it will benefit them. The deal with our house will be heartbreaking...all our friends neighbors will wont see again being 3 hours away. But you gotta do what is best! I dont want my kids to be teased, bullied or feel "Different" cause they have hearing aids. I know someday in some situation it will occur but to be in a mainstreamed school dealing with it daily. no way. I am reading very few stories of people who like public/mainstreamed schooling....but it is few stories. I will do anything for these kids to make their life amazing and see deafness as a part of who they are. not something they wish they never had. I feel like sending them to a deaf school they will feel at home in a sense feel welcomed and never have the chance to feel different as they grow to young adults. Any feedback would be helpful.......its a huge decision for us as parents to make.

I am really considering moving to the city where there are deaf schools. I have 2 kids that are deaf/hoh . Oldest is 7 years old ..then I have a 7 month old. As of now my daughter is in first grade and loves school so much. So I cant see homeschooling her which was one of my options. But we will be leaving our house behind so in other words foreclose....move to an apartment then my kids will go to deaf schools till they graduate high school. I am really thinking this will be best. I have a great team here and all my services are close. But for the sake of the kids and what is best I think it will benefit them. The deal with our house will be heartbreaking...all our friends neighbors will wont see again being 3 hours away. But you gotta do what is best! I dont want my kids to be teased, bullied or feel "Different" cause they have hearing aids. I know someday in some situation it will occur but to be in a mainstreamed school dealing with it daily. no way. I am reading very few stories of people who like public/mainstreamed schooling....but it is few stories. I will do anything for these kids to make their life amazing and see deafness as a part of who they are. not something they wish they never had. I feel like sending them to a deaf school they will feel at home in a sense feel welcomed and never have the chance to feel different as they grow to young adults. Any feedback would be helpful.......its a huge decision for us as parents to make.

If you decide to send kids to deaf school. I know some of my friends who we went to same deaf school. Some of them have their speech therapy at home. SO if you are worried about their speech skill or any way. you can check with school, to see if they can provide speech therapy at home or check with your insurance to see if it can cover with the speech therapy. Or check with IEP and VR. My strong suggestion is to have kids to read book a lot. I didn't read the book much. I really regretted about it.

Last edited:
Suzanne, that's such a tough question to answer. Comparing to see which would be better depends so very much on the individual schools, the teachers and services your kids get and even on each of your kids. One child might do best in one school, the other in a different one.

And there are different philosophies in place in deaf schools/programs: some are auditory-oral, some total communication, some bi-bi, some auditory-verbal. Programs in place in local schools can span those approaches, too.

What helped in my case was participating for years in a deaf school's parent infant program (3X weekly ASL group play and language instruction) even before preK -- I was able to come to know that school very well, know the philosophy, the quality of the teaching staff, and trust my child in their hands.

I'd suggest sitting in for a day at any of your available programs and imagine your child learning and interacting in that venue.

Suzanne, could you rent out your house instead of giving it up to foreclosure? If the prevailing rents are more than expenses for the house, that might be an option that limits the hit to your pocketbook. I can suggest a couple of book titles about this if you would like.

I second what Frisky Feline said about reading. I grew up in a reading family and we all read a lot. My college disability service counselor credits the amount of reading I did growing up with why I'm able to lipread and converse with hearing folks as well as I'm able. (one-on-one anyway)

Suzanne, could you rent out your house instead of giving it up to foreclosure? If the prevailing rents are more than expenses for the house, that might be an option that limits the hit to your pocketbook. I can suggest a couple of book titles about this if you would like.

I second what Frisky Feline said about reading. I grew up in a reading family and we all read a lot. My college disability service counselor credits the amount of reading I did growing up with why I'm able to lipread and converse with hearing folks as well as I'm able. (one-on-one anyway)

I dont know it is hard to find a renter you can trust or find one to begin with. plus when things go wrong we cant afford to fix/ or drive for 3 hours to see what is wrong or just to check on how things are going. It would be a worry that we dont need. It is hard plus we would have to continue on paying house insurance, property taxes. we live on such a strict budget no way.

I guess we just need to figure out what would be best for our kids schooling wise. I am thinking of their future and what will be best. There are so many pros to this... having then go to a deaf school that is....the only con is the house and finding their father a job. but it is just a house and we can always purchase a house later in life. I dont want them to hate school because of hearies being jerks, having teachers not working well with them, concentrating all day in big classes trying to take notes or watch a video etc......i know there are tools that can help certain things but I think they would build even more confidence going to a deaf school and they could just relax have fun and learn. I hope most of you agree with me..........if not please give me more knowledge on what you experienced.

Back