Does a 20 year old have the right to

Yea you have the right to get the tattoo but my point is she had the right to kick you out on your butt as soon as you hit 18. Just something to think about, she's doing you the favor by letting you stay in her house so yea she was supporting you.

She could have, but she didn't.

I had to move out of my apartment (which I was about to buy, the owner was going to sell it) 3 years ago and move back home to my parents. Because my mother had a stroke. So I have been helping her around the house and taking care of her.

She known for the last 2 years, I want to get a sleeve tattoo as I have been researching what style I want and what not. This time she asked 'Just make sure it's not ugly, like most of the tattoos I have seen people with'. Time has changed.

Yes, a 20 year old has the right but the parents paying for the 20 year old has the right to kick them out or stop paying for his/her bills. Guess this is a case of which battle is more important to choose.

Funny, 18 years ago, when I was 20 I got my belly button pierced. I was living with my parents at the time. I didn't ask them if I could do it, it never crossed my mind to get permission to do something to my own body, I already had 3 tattoos at this point as well, which by parents still didn't know about. I wanted my belly button pierced so I went out and had it done. Showed my mom when I got home :) At this point my 6 year old little sister, who knew about my tats said to me "show her your tattoos!!". Busted, mom never said anything about either, got a loo of disapproval, but that's about it.

My 2 cents......if your parents are that controlling, and would be willing to kick you out you should probably be working on getting your own place anyway. Reminds me of my husband. For years I talked about wanting to get my nose pierced, he didn't want me to. Well my down stairs neighbor was going to get her nipple pierced (oh hell no) and she wanted me to go with her. So I told my husband about it and ased him, do you mind if I get my nose pierced, he said he didn't care, to do what I want. A couple days later he calls me from work and tells me "when I get home, if you still have that thing in your nose I'm filing for a divorce". I told him to go ahead and do it. If he's willing to divorce me over me getting my nose pierced we probably shouldn't be married anyway.

Last edited:
Both my daughters wanted their eyebrow pierced. They had to wait until they moved out. They both had it done and both later thought it was stupid and removed them. My favorite words to hear from my kids "mom you were right".

Both my daughters wanted their eyebrow pierced. They had to wait until they moved out. They both had it done and both later thought it was stupid and removed them. My favorite words to hear from my kids "mom you were right".

18 years later, I still wear my belly button ring :D My nose doesn't usually have anything in it, only because I lose them like it's my job so I'm always having to buy more :( pita

18 years later, I still wear my belly button ring :D My nose doesn't usually have anything in it, only because I lose them like it's my job so I'm always having to buy more :( pita

As long as you can still find your belly button then you deserve to show it off:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe it is better to not have any piercing button, nose, tongue, eyebrows, even ears if you don't take good care of them. What about in the workplace? What are the rules in the workplace if you have tattoos and piercing on your body? Will the president of the company or the supervisor object you for displaying the tattoos along with the piercing. It is like a dress code for the employment.

I had ears pierced but got some jaw infection and had to removed the earrings off and later I feel much better without. I guess different people can do it while others don't.

Maybe it is better to not have any piercing button, nose, tongue, eyebrows, even ears if you don't take good care of them. What about in the workplace? What are the rules in the workplace if you have tattoos and piercing on your body? Will the president of the company or the supervisor object you for displaying the tattoos along with the piercing. It is like a dress code for the employment.

I had ears pierced but got some jaw infection and had to removed the earrings off and later I feel much better without. I guess different people can do it while others don't.

In the federal sector, I had one coworker, a lovely blonde young lady that had the most God awful and really large green tattoo on her body. It was on her back and neck and she kept it covered in the office unless she went off for lunch.

An armorer at another job had tribal tattoos on his arms and neck - no way to hide it. At my current job, there's a woman completely covered in tattoos and has a nose ring...no way to cover anything on her. I can't say she looks attractive since everything clashes with the tattoos colors. If you're qualified, you'll get the job, but how high you'll go depends on the work culture. I've never seen anyone in management that had facial piercings or tattoos....and I've been in government service since '89 in a variety of settings.

I have a tattoo and so do several of my coworkers. No rule on covering them up.

So I told my husband about it and ased him, do you mind if I get my nose pierced, he said he didn't care, to do what I want. A couple days later he calls me from work and tells me "when I get home, if you still have that thing in your nose I'm filing for a divorce". I told him to go ahead and do it. If he's willing to divorce me over me getting my nose pierced we probably shouldn't be married anyway.

Is it one of those really tiny diamonds, or a Tiffany-like chandelier hanging off your nose?

show me lol
no, dont please...
i changed me mind

when i was 18 i was more like a 14 yo, vert immature only thing that was 'mature' about me back then was that i understood how to ride motorcycles and had a full licences, and rode better than cops did... other than that i was just a kid...sad but true....was so reckless jumping bridges 140mph after having that bike, for 3 days...while doubing my best mate on the back...as pillan...lol...oh wel but yeah, that mainstreaming does for you, it deluded everyone , including me that i was a full fledge 'hearing'; adult i was far from it
just a bike nut...

i'd say it depends on alot on the parents AND on the individual that they brought up, if the child (nearing adulthood , or just entered it) is quite mature for their age,the parent wouldnt try over protect as they may understand the kid is 'growing up and may grow out of it ao they let them' other side is, the kids doesnt know what to do, they need directions and the parent stands firm' but then again its the kids personality or behavour that might alter this, like aggressiveness or manipulative it which might render parents stronghold ...
or even parent would just Know the kid well as a 'good family' they wont leave them to make own choices...
all kinds are out there...we dont know for sure ,....do we? really?!

i pieced my own ears,if i had to list most stupid things i did as teenager 19 that be on list,i lost half ear lobe

... If you're qualified, you'll get the job, but how high you'll go depends on the work culture. I've never seen anyone in management that had facial piercings or tattoos....and I've been in government service since '89 in a variety of settings.
That's true. I haven't seen anyone in management, public or private sector, with noticeable tattoos or piercings, other than maybe a single tattoo or simple ear piercings. The only exceptions were people working in the arts and entertainment industries.

I haven't seen any instructors at the college with tats either, even though I know of at least one who has several. He works in advertising and promotions, and is an adjunct professor. He told me he has extensive tattoos (was part-owner in a shop) BUT they are all located in areas of his body that can be covered by clothing. He usually wears long-sleeved shirts with undershirts so that nothing shows thru. He likes his ink but he's also business savvy.

When I brought my son to the ER for stitches a couple months ago the nurse had one on the back of her neck. I work at a Wellness Medical Clinic, there's a doctor, chiropractor, acupuncture Dr, colon therapist and all of us massage therapists. The office manager, assistant manager and the girls at the front deas are all tattoed, one of the LMs has a tat behind her ear, the assistant manager and a couple girls that work the front desk have their noses pierced. Tats are piercing are becoming more and more mainstream and acceptable. Times, they be a changing.

Is it one of those really tiny diamonds, or a Tiffany-like chandelier hanging off your nose?

Little studs, I get cheap ones though because I always forget to take it out before I get in the shower and I pull it out when I'm drying my face....and I can never find it after, they just....disappear lol.

show me lol
no, dont please...
i changed me mind

haha I think you can see it in a pic I have posted in my album, stuff I've posted, but I never posted that one. You might have to look hard to see it, but I'm not going to show it, I'll leave it up to you :D

Back