Doc refusing interperter

AquaMaiden

Reaction score
Hey

I want to see what you all have to say abuot this and hopefully give me some advices.

I'm supposed to see the dermagolist that has been in my families for years tomorrow. The appointment was made about two weeks ago and I did request an interperter. Now just this week, they left a message on the machine and my mom read it for me, she says that the doctor's office refuse to see me with an interperter. The agency that hires interperters for the professionals did argue with them. Now I find out just now that doctor still refuse to see me unless I see him and communciate with him thru paper/pen. I'm like :wtf:

Now my mom's like just accept it and go (I think it s because it s her doctor too and she dont want to lose him over this shit) She can kiss my ass because I'm not doing that only for me, I m doing that for the future of deaf peepz as well.

Any advice?

AquaMaiden said:
Hey

I want to see what you all have to say abuot this and hopefully give me some advices.

I'm supposed to see the dermagolist that has been in my families for years tomorrow. The appointment was made about two weeks ago and I did request an interperter. Now just this week, they left a message on the machine and my mom read it for me, she says that the doctor's office refuse to see me with an interperter. The agency that hires interperters for the professionals did argue with them. Now I find out just now that doctor still refuse to see me unless I see him and communciate with him thru paper/pen. I'm like :wtf:

Now my mom's like just accept it and go (I think it s because it s her doctor too and she dont want to lose him over this shit) She can kiss my ass because I'm not doing that only for me, I m doing that for the future of deaf peepz as well.

Any advice?

hon, if u see them today, and they still refuse, call ADA immediately. they can help u out alot. This is federal offense. hope things work out, sorry about the sidekick not cooperating with me today..

contact Midwest Center on Law and the Deaf *MCLD* ASAP

800.894.3653 (voice)
800.894.3654 (tty)

MCLD1@aol.com

(i'm not sure if this is updated, its a year old information)

let me know if you contact them- they help with those issues and they also deal with doctors, health care providers and hospitals and various agencies like police, attorneys etc....

umm... Shoot ur doctor...

J/K

anyway seriously,
i agree with cricket.. i have done that before.. it helped alot..

VamPyroX said:
:werd: That could get you quick results! :thumb:

mmm :squint: and the rest of us have to pay for it through higher doctor fees i dont think so

Do what cricket says and inform the dermatolgist that they are not following the ADA law and if they still refuse to do so, and still fail to follow the ADA law, Then SUE them for what they have, cuz no matter WHO the doctor is and doesn't matter if it's a family dr. U have the RIGHT to have an interpeter!!!!!!! Sigh stupid drs today just don't want to be educated on the fact that no matter the issue, We deafies DO have the right NO matter what the outcome is!

AquaMaiden said:
Now I find out just now that doctor still refuse to see me unless I see him and communciate with him thru paper/pen.
Any advice?

Ohhhh I don't think so! It's your legal right, go and get your interpreter!! And good luck with tha doctor; man, he sounds like a piece of work :wtf:

Sometimes they do not understand that they get the money back from tax refund... They think they are spending it out of their pocket and wasting their money on interpreter. I remember my Sister and I went to the Vet and we could not understand this guy he talks soo fast I suggest him to get an interpreter he stated that his business is real small and he cannot afford one. but when I called the Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center They called our Vet for us and told them its the law so he got an interpreter for us one appt. and all he did was complain how this whole thing he has to pay by hourly and he said it only last 20 mins or 30 mins of the appt. My Interpreter was rolling her eyes at him. We just do not go back there anymore.,

Information about the ADA

US Department of Justice Toll-Free ADA Information Line
Call to obtain answers to general and technical questions about the ADA and to order technical assistance materials:
800-514-0301 (voice) 800-514-0383 (TDD)

Commonly asked questions about service animals:

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
How to file a complaint with the US Department of Justice:
http://www.ada.gov/t3compfm.htm

Access for 9-1-1 and Telephone Emergency Services:
http://www.ada.gov/911ta.htm

ADA Business Brief:
Communicating with People Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in Hospital Settings:
http://www.ada.gov/business.htm#anchor1031031

ADA Business Brief:
Communicating with Guests Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in Hotels, Motels, and Other Places of Transient Lodging:
http://www.ada.gov/business.htm#anchor1031031

Sec.36.303 Auxiliary aids and services.
http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-97857

(a) General. A public accommodation shall take those steps that may be necessary to ensure that no individual with a disability is excluded, denied services, segregated or otherwise treated differently than other individuals because of the absence of auxiliary aids and services, unless the public accommodation can demonstrate that taking those steps would fundamentally alter the nature of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered or would result in an undue burden, i.e., significant difficulty or expense.

(b) Examples. The term "auxiliary aids and services'' includes --

(1) Qualified interpreters, notetakers, computer-aided transcription services, written materials, telephone handset amplifiers, assistive listening devices, assistive listening systems, telephones compatible with hearing aids, closed caption decoders, open and closed captioning, telecommunications devices for deaf persons (TDD's), videotext displays, or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments;

(2) Qualified readers, taped texts, audio recordings, Brailled materials, large print materials, or other effective methods of making visually delivered materials available to individuals with visual impairments;

(3) Acquisition or modification of equipment or devices; and

(4) Other similar services and actions.

(c) Effective communication. A public accommodation shall furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary to ensure effective communication with individuals with disabilities.

(d) Telecommunication devices for the deaf (TDD's). (1) A public accommodation that offers a customer, client, patient, or participant the opportunity to make outgoing telephone calls on more than an incidental convenience basis shall make available, upon request, a TDD for the use of an individual who has impaired hearing or a communication disorder.

(2) This part does not require a public accommodation to use a TDD for receiving or making telephone calls incident to its operations.

(e) Closed caption decoders. Places of lodging that provide televisions in five or more guest rooms and hospitals that provide televisions for patient use shall provide, upon request, a means for decoding captions for use by an individual with impaired hearing.

(f) Alternatives. If provision of a particular auxiliary aid or service by a public accommodation would result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered or in an undue burden, i.e., significant difficulty or expense, the public accommodation shall provide an alternative auxiliary aid or service, if one exists, that would not result in an alteration or such burden but would nevertheless ensure that, to the maximum extent possible, individuals with disabilities receive the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations offered by the public accommodation.

Doctor is DISCRIMATION too.. as same here.. I've seeing some of my peepz whoever quite fusterate with... some of peepz are lucky have right doctor willing accept bring an interpreter.. uneasy for everyones.. Hope one day you could find right doctor and be always ask doctor if willing hire an interpreter if doctor refusing..keep contuines until find doctor thru yellow pages listing to find doctor.. So am I.. have no choice and have to find right doctor who can accept hire an interpreter which it's good reasons..

As same includes Hospital have big problem and pretend that an interpreter is not available.. I do not believe hospital staff which that avoid "contact an interpreter" because knew has to pay fee an interpreter.. I kept complaint and call my own ways and pah got an interpreter arrives.. I can see Doctor/Nurses were looking not pleasant with me.. I do not give them damn.. Really poor hospital system in Ontario,Canada.

Thats againist the law!

Hi AuqaMadain,
Thats not fair!!
Your rights are being taken away from you.
The ADA Law says no one should refuse you or any deaf or HOH person to have an interpreter.
I known sign lanaguage for 29 yrs. and I'm interpreter myself.
Alot of doctors refuse to pay the interperter,and most all interperters are expensive!!
I'm talking $25.00 and up an hour!!!
I don't believe any deaf or HOH should have to pay that.
But a doctor can afford it.
Thats why I charge $10.00 an hour.
Margie
Dir. of Communication Services
OCDAC

:shock: What a fucking joking!!! What the doctor did belong to DISCRIMINATED

Interpeter rule in Germany like this:

Healthly Insurance cover the interperter cost:

Important appointment with doctors at hospitail
Important appointment with doctor only if there´re result
Agreement contract with doctor before have an operation
Therapies

Employer cover the interperter cost:

Work Meeting
Council Work Meeting
Work Agreement Contract
Semiar

Interperter Center cover the interperter cost:

Parents evening
Important appointment with teachers
Notary
Bank
Insurance company
Agreement Contract with Building Contracter
1st appointment with lawyer over 1st case.
Job Interviews

Court cover the interperter cost:
Anything at court room.

What they cover like this except private case like divorce, hobbies classes, 2nd appointment with lawyer at same case etc. You have to pay yourself to apply for divorce at lawyer, neighbour fighting, etc etc because it´s belong to private case.

Margie, I would like to ask you question. You said that you request $10. per hour for interperter. Is $10 profit to support your living? I´m wondering about this because I know alot about Interperter rule in Germany. I have some interperter friends around.

Interperter cost:

€40.00 ($49.43) per hour
€0.25 ($0.31) per km driving
€0.40 ($0.49) per km petrol
€0.15 ($0.19) per minute waiting time

Example bill like this:
€40.00 x 2 hours = €80.--
€00.25 x 50 km driving = €12.50
€00.40 x 50 km petrol = €20.--
€00.15 x 5 minutes waiting for appointment €00.75
TOTAL €113.25

Some of interperter would not request "waiting time". During "private case", you have to deal yourself with interperter cost.

Deal over Interpeter cost to interpete at private case what I did with interpeter until we agree that I pick her up to save driving & petrol cost. €20.00 per hour interpeter...

Well Margie, I told my interperter friend about your cost yesterday. She said with "angry impression" that she would NEVER request that A**H**** $10 per hour without petrol cost etc. :dunno: She have to pay tax, Heathly Insurance & Pension insurance a year because Interpeter is self-employ. She said that $10 would NEVER being profit for her to support her family life.

Here I´m asking you on her behalf, Margie. We are interesting to listen your answer how you could manage with your living with those $10. Germans would scream & run to you for interpeter for that $10.

I would be grateful for your respond on my question, thank you :thumb:

Last edited:
Some doctor's office refuse to call for an interpreter to suit your needs are bunch of foolish who absence the true understanding of disability needs :crazy: ...but one thing I learned from my wife...she said some doctor's office are uneducated about the sign language interpreter and dont know how to contact an agency where to make an request...so what you can do is to explain and teach them how to do then they can do on their own...it did helped my wife alot with further doctor's appointment....

Better call up at the ADA DOJ hotline, I've seen on the DOJ amendment files online for any violator's ammodmation broke the ADA laws.

My FUMC hospital did great service to set up with an interpreter for medical appts.. Except emergency medical, just tell paramedic to dispatching hospital to get an interpreter for me

I see that this thread is very old. Has this been resolved yet?

VamPyroX said:
I see that this thread is very old. Has this been resolved yet?

hahah true....but it is nothing wrong to input our word and thoughtful...

I know how you feel there AquaMaiden :(

I've had my share of that in the past too at the doctor's office or at a vet hospital....They always make an excuess and say ' Well , I own a small business and we don't make that much $$ to pay for an interpreter for an hour and since your appt only last within 20 to 30 mins, I feel it's a waste of money '....Whenever I hear this excuess, I tell them about the ADA laws and leave and find another hospital or vet that will make me get an interpreter or somewhere that I could understand what the doctors are saying....It works for me :thumb:

They're the one who going to lose us and now how are they going to make any money? heh

Back