Votes: 21 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Don´t know

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
The point is, there are safeguards in place that protect the patient from making a hasty decision and prevent the physician from ethical violations. Whether its 2 physicians, or 3 physicians, the result of the regulation is the same.

is it same process adopted in European countries?

I support assisted assistance; however, I want to bring something up to share with you.

Will the life insurance company issue a fat check to benefactors of a person who dies of assisted suicide? As matter of facts, they will NOT issue a check to them when their loved one commits suicide.

Why do we have to put our beloved and dying pets to sleep while we are not allowed to have loved and dying ones to do assisted suicide or euthanasia? Why cannot we do it while we can do it to our pets? We are living things and so are our pets.

True.....

I know that the insurance companies never do issue a check when an individual commits suicide. However with the terminology of "assisted suicide"--they'll probably won't issue a check because suicide is suicide by the eyes of their rules.

Thanks Royale for bringing the insurance into the discussion. I never would've thought of that.... :hmm:

I was referring to USA. They're slow to change.

Ever stop to think how many times suicide actually occurs in the case of a terminal illness, but the cause of death is assumed to be the course of the illness itself? Just a point to ponder. Or how many times the level of medication needed to control pain actually results in repiratory depression so severe that it results in death?

I support assisted assistance; however, I want to bring something up to share with you.

Will the life insurance company issue a fat check to benefactors of a person who dies of assisted suicide? As matter of facts, they will NOT issue a check to them when their loved one commits suicide.

Why do we have to put our beloved and dying pets to sleep while we are not allowed to have loved and dying ones to do assisted suicide or euthanasia? Why cannot we do it while we can do it to our pets? We are living things and so are our pets.

Then again--it probably depends on one's policy with the insurance company.

I better look at my policy......

Ever stop to think how many times suicide actually occurs in the case of a terminal illness, but the cause of death is assumed to be the course of the illness itself? Just a point to ponder. Or how many times the level of medication needed to control pain actually results in repiratory depression so severe that it results in death?

:dizzy:

Isn't that what they do in hospice with the administration of morphine?

Isn't that what they do in hospice with the administration of morphine?

Yep. Its called "palliative care". Unfortunately, in order to provide palliative care for some patients, high enough doses are needed that they, in effect, do the same thing that a PAS would accomplish. So its not really so much the act, but the intent, that people seem to object to.

During 2007, 85 prescriptions for lethal medications were written under the provisions
of the DWDA compared to 65 during 2006 (Figure). Of these, 46 patients took the
medications, 26 died of their underlying disease, and 13 were alive at the end of 2007. In addition, three patients with earlier prescriptions died from taking thenmedications, resulting in a total of 49 DWDA deaths during 2007. This corresponds to
an estimated 15.6 DWDA deaths per 10,000 total deaths.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/pas/docs/year10.pdf

By the same token, teen suicide rates (aged 10-24) increased by 8% between 2003 and 2004.

Just something to ponder. PAS doesn't appear to increase the overall rates of suicide in the way many would like to believe it does.

I have noticed this a lot. When I was working in the nursing homes. Hospics would come in and usually when they do the residents that they see are administered a large amount of morphine and you can hear the residents gurgle due to they literally drown

To me that is also assisted suicide

I voted yes, due to I do believe I in letting one die in dignity.

I have noticed this a lot. When I was working in the nursing homes. Hospics would come in and usually when they do the residents that they see are administered a large amount of morphine and you can hear the residents gurgle due to they literally drown

To me that is also assisted suicide

I voted yes, due to I do believe I in letting one die in dignity.

Thank you. It does occur more often than most people would think, and it is normally in accord with the patient's end of life directive and the famliy's wishes that the end of life directive be carried out.

Thank you. It does occur more often than most people would think, and it is normally in accord with the patient's end of life directive and the famliy's wishes that the end of life directive be carried out.

It IS happening.

Your welcome. I have seen it when I did home health, and in different nursing homes.

It is already happening everywhere people just don't realise it yet.

No, I don't support suicide assistance.

The hospics just call it dying with dignity and painless. But what people don't see is the morphine speeds up the death process by drowning the respiratory system. Some stop breathing all together due to the morphine relaxes the system so much that the person just dies.

Then they should not engage in it. Let those who do not think it is "wrong" and "sinful" have a choice regarding their own end of life decisions.

Some people will never be happy with just disagreeing and moving on. They have to legislate morality because they feel it's a personal duty, nevermind the fact that it infringes upon the rights of others.

:rofl: I just knew that you'll bring that up. I was only doing the society a favor-- prevent the creation of a violent nature by keeping the criminals off the street. There are crimes that are so heinous and the death penalty is the only solution. ;)

You'd be doing society a favor by not trying to legislate your moral beliefs.

Just a thought.

You'd be doing society a favor by not trying to legislate your moral beliefs.

Just a thought.

:confused: My beliefs did not make death penalty legal. I just support death penalty-- why is that a problem?

:confused: My beliefs did not make death penalty legal. I just support death penalty-- why is that a problem?

I mean in regards to assisted suicide.

I knew we were going to disagree and all I have to say is that there are things out there that we do not like and we disagree with. However, to allow our religious beliefs and moral beliefs to dictate laws in this country, would be similar to living in a country run by the Taliban or another religious entity.

The death penalty and banning access to abortion/assisted suicide are all wrong.

Unpopular choices and unpopular ideas are the cornerstone of a Democracy. Without the ability to make those choices or share your ideas, is to interfere with what makes a Democracy a Democracy.

Back