Do You Still Feel Safe?

Renée12

Reaction score
After hearing about all the shootings and terrorist attacks that are happening multiple times each month now, do you feel safe? I know I don't. I'm now scared of leaving home for fear of being shot. I'm worried that the next shooting might be in my town. I'm scared that there will be a terrorist attack or shooting near my relatives and they'll end up getting hurt. I already have family living in Dallas. I have heard from them since the shooting and because of that I am worried. I don't want to be raised in a world that is so messed up at the moment, and I certainly don't want to tell my own children what it was like when there was shooting in my area. What are your thoughts?

I am not going to stop going out and doing things b/c of what is going on . This is what the terrorists are trying to do terrorize us and I not about to let terrorists
control my life ! I think you need to stop worrying so much , you don't your children becoming to frighten to even go outside and play. You're letting the terrorists win , they have gotten into your mind .

I am not going to stop going out and doing things b/c of what is going on . This is what the terrorists are trying to do terrorize us and I not about to let terrorists
control my life ! I think you need to stop worrying so much , you don't your children becoming to frighten to even go outside and play. You're letting the terrorists win , they have gotten into your mind .
Probably cuz I'm only 15…

Just to put the issue of safety into perspective you can look at history. Back in WW2 coastal areas were in constant danger of japanese and german attacks and yet barely anything happened. In my current atlanta metro area back in the civil war it was burnt down and not only that there were hangings of blacks only 40-50 years ago.

Or look at the Sept 11 attacks, nowadays you can go to NYC without worrying about those type of attacks.

While it is true the attacks going on lately seems scary one item to consider that this is not exactly a new concept. There have always been some type of turmoil and conflict even in what are currently tranquil areas. And like LoveBlue says you're more likely to get hit by a bus than suffer a terrorist attack.

That, and there is always some element of risk no matter how much you try to reduce them. If you want to be 100% safe then just live in your house for the rest of your life. How boring is that?

WDYS is being a little too hard on Renee- well to me anyway. It's amazing to see that she thinks that Renee is letting recent events/terrorists get into her mind with reading just one post. I'd like to see her PhD in Psychology. (no no need for comments from the peanut gallery- I already know).

Renee- it's normal to worry (especially when you are a teenager) and wonder but don't get too deeply into it otherwise it might paralyze you into not doing anything. I feel safe. Well as safe as one can be in this world. A Nihilist is right in what he said. Even before there were more terrorist/mass attacks there's still the chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Don't let fear take away from your life- there's way more good in the world than people realize or know because the media likes to sensationalize anything 'bad' these days. I remember once someone was lamenting how dangerous air travel was after news of a plane crash. I said the number of car accident victims was higher than the total number of airline death per year. People can't wrap their minds around that because many times a plane crash or another example the Nice attack- it's a large group of people at one time where in car accidents- just one or two- maybe five (though higher than 5 do get heavy news coverage).

Ahem- sorry got too far off. I try not to worry or let fear take over. I don't like going out much anyway because I'm an introvert and dislike dealing with people in general (minus friends and family) but will still live my life as best I can in this nutty world.

IF you feel super overwhelmed- find somebody to talk to- parent, counselor or something.

on this earth, it not about there are always terrorists everywhere, What about accidents, robbers, diseases, rapists, murders, bad animals, food, our healths, other things happen on us and there are more out there. We live in dangerous everywhere every second. Every Second I got faith. I let the Faith kicks all The Worries out of windows. Before we born, we did not live in fear. So staying home all the time that don't mean i feel safe n i never know there are things on fire, tornado, burglars, or when i sleep... maybe i might not wake up from sleep.

If you want to be 100% safe then just live in your house for the rest of your life. How boring is that?
There's danger there, too, of course.

Renee' live your live as you want to live it. Yes, be aware of your surroundings, and potential danger zones, etc, but don't let the fear of something that happened far away from you keep you from having an enjoyable life. Even if something happens in your own area, be aware of any saftey precautions you MAY need to take, but don't lock yourself in your home (once the immediate danger is gone).

Depending on where you live, the odds are probably very small that you'll be the victim of an attack.

To make those odds even better there are things you can do:

Learn about situational awareness and practice it.

Stay healthy and strong.

Learn about self-defense. Even if you are too young to carry a weapon there are still things you can do.

Learn and practice some kind of martial art.

Don't associate with risky groups or individuals; that includes real life and on-line life.

Stay alert and keep your mind clear; don't use illegal drugs or alcohol.

Don't become a hermit but don't to dangerous places. If in doubt, don't go alone.

Always let your parents know where you're going.

Oh ! I didn't know your age , I can see why you feel this way now. To add to Reba list , when you do out don't have your headphones on so loud that you
can't hear what it going around you and go out with a friend or a group of friends. Always be aware of your surrounding and when do post on any forum don't use for real full name . Use a fake name and don't say where you live . It's really sad that people have to be so careful on the internet but there are a lot people using it for the wrong idea. And let your parents know who you are talking on line. I see so many teenage girls coming here posting their real full name and address , this isn't a good idea.

Back