Do you own a code scanner?

webexplorer

Reaction score
Do you have a diagnostic code scanner for your vehicle?

I am looking to buy one for my Ford Explorer before I bring my truck to a Ford or garage service because most repair services are always rip-off. I don't know what are the pros and cons, but I looked up on Amazon website. So far what I read about Equus 3130, Equus 4145, and AutoXray AX2500.

If you have a diagnostic code scanner, are you happy with it?

I posted Thread, "USB OBDII scanner??". You should scroll down and there are link to USB scanner.

There are several models in Ebay. I personally haven't bought it but planning on ordering one soon.

It use USB plug in PC or Laptop using OBDII softwares. It cost between $24 to $125.

I agree we need real time data. Some have software for it to provide realtime data.

Catty

Wow, that's very nice tool on iPhone that I didn't know about. I'm stuck that I don't have iPhone. I would have to search online for a cheaper price for the iPhone - my assume. I like the upgrade for free from that link.

The Highlander - I'm really surprised that Equus INNOVA doesn't have the real time data. Is that important especially you mentioned about saving gas from other thread?

Catty - Yes, that's what I needed to read your other thread, "USB OBDII Scanner??" Thanks!

Wow, that's very nice tool on iPhone that I didn't know about. I'm stuck that I don't have iPhone. I would have to search online for a cheaper price for the iPhone - my assume. I like the upgrade for free from that link.

The Highlander - I'm really surprised that Equus INNOVA doesn't have the real time data. Is that important especially you mentioned about saving gas from other thread?

Catty - Yes, that's what I needed to read your other thread, "USB OBDII Scanner??" Thanks!

It is not just for a iPhone. You can get a iPod Touch.

The real-time data looks like. It is not just gas. It's easy to find troubleshooting.

105pjeh.jpg

[yt]V1PWU8xC8FY[/yt]

I looked up some websites about the price for the iPod Touch 3G. The older one the 2 generation is almost the same price as a new one.

I am still searching for another company that sells a USB adapter for iPod Touch.

An iPod Touch with 32 GB 3G (due add more apps in future for hard disk's space) cost approx. 275 dollars. The DevToaster Rev software cost 40 dollars. The OBDKey USB 2.0 adapter for the iPod is 135 dollars. The total for everything is about 460 dollars (w/ average tax). It is too much money, but I think that it can be upgraded features in the future which is a good deal. However, I would rather to buy a wired adapter USB brand for a better price. I am tired of searching online for a few hours. Perhaps, you know a better one. Please let me know. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

I looked up some websites about the price for the iPod Touch 3G. The older one the 2 generation is almost the same price as a new one.

I am still searching for another company that sells a USB adapter for iPod Touch.

An iPod Touch with 32 GB 3G (due add more apps in future for hard disk's space) cost approx. 275 dollars. The DevToaster Rev software cost 40 dollars. The OBDKey USB 2.0 adapter for the iPod is 135 dollars. The total for everything is about 460 dollars (w/ average tax). It is too much money, but I think that it can be upgraded features in the future which is a good deal. However, I would rather to buy a wired adapter USB brand for a better price. I am tired of searching online for a few hours. Perhaps, you know a better one. Please let me know. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

$135 for USB? Rip off. I got Kiwi Wifi for $149. I use wireless and it is more easy for me to walk around to engine to check without pull the cable.

PLX Kiwi Wifi - Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.

[yt]o91DX4ODgbU[/yt]

I just bought a iPod Touch 3G 32GB at BestBuy for $275. I will consider to buy a PLX Kiwi Wifi for another money. Sigh. It's because I have an iMac so I just want to use the iPod as well.

If I have an IBM PC, then I would buy the other device that you recommend me to get it. Thanks!

Do you have a diagnostic code scanner for your vehicle?

I am looking to buy one for my Ford Explorer before I bring my truck to a Ford or garage service because most repair services are always rip-off. I don't know what are the pros and cons, but I looked up on Amazon website. So far what I read about Equus 3130, Equus 4145, and AutoXray AX2500.

If you have a diagnostic code scanner, are you happy with it?

Try Automotive Scan Tool Reviews | Auto-Facts.org
I still use my old SnapOn scan tool MT2500 with outdated cartridges. What year of your Ford Explorer? Just curious. I pulled DTC from my wife's 2002 Ford Explorer, 5.0L V8, 2WD, found code P0442 EVAP system small leak, reviewed the freeze frame data, noticed CTS (coolant temp sensor) was cold
and VSS was zero MPH. I know there're no vacuum/pressure hold in gas tank or EVAP system. I checked a gas cap to see if its tighten, found loose cap, examined a gas cap's O seal for sign of cracks, found nothing wrong, put it back and cleared code. I've not see my wife's complaint since.:wave:

My instructor just got brand new Snap on EEMS300W. It's cost almost $10k and he admit that he hate it so much due poor designer. Mostly scan tool use power thru vehicle's OBD port. Snap on EEMS300W don't, you have to use your own power supply for outlet or connect to vehicle's battery. Snap on EEMS300W's battery life is only 20min or less.

Try Automotive Scan Tool Reviews | Auto-Facts.org
I still use my old SnapOn scan tool MT2500 with outdated cartridges. What year of your Ford Explorer? Just curious. I pulled DTC from my wife's 2002 Ford Explorer, 5.0L V8, 2WD, found code P0442 EVAP system small leak, reviewed the freeze frame data, noticed CTS (coolant temp sensor) was cold
and VSS was zero MPH. I know there're no vacuum/pressure hold in gas tank or EVAP system. I checked a gas cap to see if its tighten, found loose cap, examined a gas cap's O seal for sign of cracks, found nothing wrong, put it back and cleared code. I've not see my wife's complaint since.:wave:

I remember one of my customer complained about engine check light. We check thru FFD and it said MAP sensor said zero temp but real-time data show 0F......70F.......75F.......0F.... during engine run. I found wire's plug was loose so we fixed it to tight then read real-time data again and it said 70F......75F.....70F....75F... That's mean it was bad connect. Now everything good.

Real-time data is great tool!

My Ford Explorer 2002 4x4 runs fine, but when I am about to stop at the red light. I felt like that my truck hesitates or a little bit shaky for a short time which is something not quite right.

Two other problems are: The engine check is on. Another light on the dashboard is an airbag icon flashing.

Yesterday, I found a mice's nest in the back of my truck where I keep the jack tools in the storage area. Of course, I cleaned it out. Last year, I found a mice's nest on the ceiling where I keep my sunglasses in small storage - i.e. "the ceiling lights inside of my truck near the windshield."

I haven't bought an adapter and the software for my new iPod Touch yet.
I will have to buy them online soon before Christmas for a long trip for two days - maybe too late to order them??

iTunes Store

You can download free Rev Lite right there but it's limit and good for test to make sure it's connect to PLX Kiwi without problem and you understand how to use it then buy $39 for full REV.

My Ford Explorer 2002 4x4 runs fine, but when I am about to stop at the red light. I felt like that my truck hesitates or a little bit shaky for a short time which is something not quite right.

Two other problems are: The engine check is on. Another light on the dashboard is an airbag icon flashing.

Yesterday, I found a mice's nest in the back of my truck where I keep the jack tools in the storage area. Of course, I cleaned it out. Last year, I found a mice's nest on the ceiling where I keep my sunglasses in small storage - i.e. "the ceiling lights inside of my truck near the windshield."

I haven't bought an adapter and the software for my new iPod Touch yet.
I will have to buy them online soon before Christmas for a long trip for two days - maybe too late to order them??
4.0L SOHC V6? Does it happen in cold start or warm up? Rough running after hot or restart when the engine is warmed up? If so, there's vacuum leaking,
or likely to set MIL for code P0171 or P0174 System Too Lean. The common problem area are PCV line or collasped PCV elow and intake manifold 'O' seal gaskets or warpaged manifold (made of black PCV plastic). Check PCV system first if found nothing wrong then check Intake Manifold gaskets or manifold. Cuz the plastic manifold became shrinked and warpaged when the engine is cold or overnight that leave the 'O' seals to expose to the incoming air enter the manifold (creat vacuum leaking) as the engine is about to start in cold morning. On the hot engine, the manifold became relax to the flatness, creat little vacuum leaking. Also there can be other problem like noisy timing chain when initial start up in cold morning.

I remember one of my customer complained about engine check light. We check thru FFD and it said MAP sensor said zero temp but real-time data show 0F......70F.......75F.......0F.... during engine run. I found wire's plug was loose so we fixed it to tight then read real-time data again and it said 70F......75F.....70F....75F... That's mean it was bad connect. Now everything good.

Real-time data is great tool!
MAP sensor is measured in mercury not tempurature

LOL..

when I first saw this thread I though the code scanner you all were talking about was the new application for the Smart phone scanner to scan and compare prices on various items in stores.

but..... since we are not talking about that... I'm totally off topic.. :P

you guys making me feel pretty inferior with my code reader. all i have is the actron that only read codes and wipe em if i want.

Back